Merriweather out for the season

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:01 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:Better make it a 6th round pick. First Royster and Robinson and now Morris.

In fact, let's trade a 4th or 5th each year to get an extra couple of 6s for Shanny to play with.

Yeah, that's what I meant. 6th.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:20 am

Unfreaking believable!

Ah oh well. Just got to plug away I guess. He made a huge difference. So I got to give him some props for helping us get a win.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:05 am

This one really hurts, doesn't it? Have to feel sorry for the guy.

I wasn't sold on Merriweather when the Redskins signed him, and one half of action isn't enough to make a final judgement, but I think we all saw on Sunday just what an impact a decent safety can have on our defence. The team has been totally crippled by a lack of NFL quality safety play this year. We all knew it was an issue before the season, even before Merriweather's problems started. But week after week has hammered home the fact - we need REAL safeties.

Hope Merriweather comes back 100% next season. A kinder season for injuries would certainly help turn this defence around.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:06 am

Gutted.

He looked very good, and very motivated. He wanted to get back in the game, so it sounds like he has a great attitude and wants to compete.

Four different knee injuries in just three months is worrying though, does he have knees of jelly or what?!?!?

At least both knees will get a long rest now. We MUST bring in a safety or two for next season, but even so a healthy Merriweather will be a real bonus.
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:41 am

SouthLondonRedskin wrote:
At least both knees will get a long rest now. We MUST bring in a safety or two for next season, but even so a healthy Merriweather will be a real bonus.

I could see the team going into next training camp with Jackson and Meriweather as the projected starters. I'm not dating I agree with that idea (because I don't), I'm just saying it is a very real possibility!

That would new a big mistake, IMHO!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:23 am

I don't know that many noticed but it was pointed that Brandon was very involved with the other players on the sideline AFTER his injury

AND

the defense did seem to be playing with a bit better attitude

sorry to see him 'out' but I'm looking forward to having him compete for a spot here next season
We are very fortunate to have Kirk Cousins but Griffin has a huge upside IMO

Robert needs to continue to get better and to do that he needs time on the field - hopefully sooner than later

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:28 am

I guess we all can wonder and look forward to what this defense will look like next year with Tannard Jackson back and Merriweather healthy......

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:02 am

Okay with Merriweather going on IR who would you sign?

Safeties

1. Nick Collins
2. Deon Grant
3. O.J. Atogwe
4. Brodney Pool
5. Tyrone Culver
6. Sean Jones
7. Jaiquawn Jarrett
8. Melvin Bullitt
9. Tyrell Johnson
10. Bob Sanders
11. Husain Abdullah
12. Gerald Alexander
13. Gibril Wilson
14. Reggie Smith
15. Akwasi Owusu-Ansah
16. Jon McGraw
17. Paul Oliver
18. Larry Asante
19. Aaron Francisco
20. James Butler

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:12 am

Merriweather displayed why the coaches brought him onboard. He had an immediate and huge impact on the defense.

I look forward to him healing up and getting on the field next year. Best case scenario, both he and Tanard come back and can start next year. With an off-seasons worth of attention dedicated to the position.

- If Gomes doesn't really break out in the remaining games, we need someone to potentially start/backup Merriweather next year.
- I'd bring Tanard back and make him earn his money but draft/acquire someone who could start if he doesn't pan out. I think the Patriots showed on Sunday night what kinda pay-off a "risky" player can provide. Hopefully Tanard gets it together.
- As far as the CB's, I'm curious to see what that kid we put on IR in the off-season can do. He was a potential 2nd round pick that fell to us (undrafted), he could make some noise.

Sorry fellas, no negativity. Just realistic well wishing.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:20 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:Merriweather displayed why the coaches brought him onboard. He had an immediate and huge impact on the defense.

I look forward to him healing up and getting on the field next year. Best case scenario, both he and Tanard come back and can start next year. With an off-seasons worth of attention dedicated to the position.

- If Gomes doesn't really break out in the remaining games, we need someone to potentially start/backup Merriweather next year.
- I'd bring Tanard back and make him earn his money but draft/acquire someone who could start if he doesn't pan out. I think the Patriots showed on Sunday night what kinda pay-off a "risky" player can provide. Hopefully Tanard gets it together.
- As far as the CB's, I'm curious to see what that kid we put on IR in the off-season can do. He was a potential 2nd round pick that fell to us (undrafted), he could make some noise.

Sorry fellas, no negativity. Just realistic well wishing.

+1

#######

Postby The Hogster » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:41 am

One dilemma is going to be what we do to address the Safety position this offseason. Brandon Merriweather showed what he can do in limited time. He should be back. And, Tanard Jackson was slated to start according to Mike.

With those two players back, I wonder how aggressive they will be in finding other Safeties.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:12 am

Redskins Sign Murphy, Meriweather To IR never heard of this dude, and why sign another CB when SAFETY is a glaring need?????

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:23 am

Even with those two back, I'd still get at least one real backup safety. There are dependability issues with both of them.

And I'm tired of seeing Reed Doughty...he tries so hard, but in the end, he stinks.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:35 am

Who says Tanard even gets to play next Season?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:38 am

Deadskins wrote:Who says Tanard even gets to play next Season?

There has been some back room talks that he will get reinstated and play. As a matter of fact I believe there was some comments on facebook from him and his father saying the same thing. I don't have a link though.......

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football