Kicker

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:01 pm

SkinsFreak wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:Forbath is great at kicking FGs - he's NOT great at kicking off a tee

Umm... wow. Well, we saw him kick it through the end zone several times in Dallas and in others games, so we therefore know he has the leg-strength to do it.

What I'm wondering though, is how do you know that the shorter kick-offs aren't by design? You keep talking about creating bad field position for the opponent, yet you aren't acknowledging that a shorter kick-off gives the cover-team a chance to produce worse starting field position for the opposing offense by stopping the returner inside the 20 yard line.

The Skins have a pretty darn good special-teams unit and they're pretty darn good at covering kick-offs. They've stopped the returner many times inside the 20.

So if your cover unit is good and has that capability, wouldn't it be - at times - to their advantage to have the kicker attempt to kick the ball a bit shorter, right in that uncertain grey area of the end-zone where the returner is forced to make a split-second decision as to whether he should bring the ball out of the end-zone or not, possibly stalling for just a second and presenting the kick-coverage team with a good chance of stopping him inside the 20 yard line if he does bring it out, thereby creating worse starting field position for their offense?

So again, how do you know the shorter kick-offs aren't by design?

The entire premise that our kicker isn't good enough is completely retarded, in my humble opinion. People will find anything to gripe about.

Oh! Our kicker has yet to miss a FG! Hmmm, his kickoffs are too short, we better replace him. (Fast forward 2 years) Our coaches are terrible evaluators of talent, I can't believe they let Forbath go!
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:40 pm

SkinsJock wrote: hate to see him go

smh
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:11 pm

I'll say it again - Forbath has been great at FGs - I did not know that Mike & Danny did not really want him getting his kickoffs deeper - I stand corrected
Forbath is great at kicking FGs - he's NOT great at kicking off a tee

Umm... wow. Well, we saw him kick it through the end zone several times in Dallas and in others games, so we therefore know he has the leg-strength to do it.

really? OK, I'll take your word for it :roll:

What I'm wondering though, is how do you know that the shorter kick-offs aren't by design? You keep talking about creating bad field position for the opponent, yet you aren't acknowledging that a shorter kick-off gives the cover-team a chance to produce worse starting field position for the opposing offense by stopping the returner inside the 20 yard line.
The Skins have a pretty darn good special-teams unit and they're pretty darn good at covering kick-offs. They've stopped the returner many times inside the 20.

So if your cover unit is good and has that capability, wouldn't it be - at times - to their advantage to have the kicker attempt to kick the ball a bit shorter, right in that uncertain grey area of the end-zone where the returner is forced to make a split-second decision as to whether he should bring the ball out of the end-zone or not, possibly stalling for just a second and presenting the kick-coverage team with a good chance of stopping him inside the 20 yard line if he does bring it out, thereby creating worse starting field position for their offense?

So again, how do you know the shorter kick-offs aren't by design?

OK - that settles that - I stand corrected - I thought that Mike and Danny preferred kickoffs that could not be returned - I did not know (AS YOU OBVIOUSLY DO) that they wanted Kai to make sure that some of the kicks could be returned .. THANKS :roll:

The entire premise that our kicker isn't good enough is completely retarded, in my humble opinion. People will find anything to gripe about.
what's retarded in my very humble opinion, is insinuating that I posted that Forbath isn't good enough .. I was obviously mistaken in thinking his kickoffs were not getting deep enough

I REPEAT - I think Forbath is great at kicking FGs, I just felt that his kickoffs were not getting very deep and that he should work on improving that

that mistake has been corrected

also

I did not know that Mike and Danny don't want him to get much depth on the kickoffs - that's also been explained ... :roll:

Oh! Our kicker has yet to miss a FG! Hmmm, his kickoffs are too short, we better replace him. (Fast forward 2 years) Our coaches are terrible evaluators of talent, I can't believe they let Forbath go!

I have NEVER advocated getting rid of Forbath - I just thought that he needed to work on getting his kickoffs deeper off the tee

I now understand that is NOT what Mike and Danny want

I'm glad that we have so much faith in stopping the kickoffs and do not want Forbath to hit the ball deep

THANKS

I'll certainly be watching the kickoffs more carefully now that I know what Mike and Danny are looking for from Kai ... :lol:

see - that's what so great about this site ...

there are a bunch of guys here that know so much and can straighten out all of us that are so retarded :twisted:
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:27 pm

Cobra Kai Forbath is going to be RGIII's Chip Lohmiller (didn't catch Mosely, just a bit too young). There is nothing, nothing to complain about w/r/t to Kai.

Kickoffs? KICKOFFS???!!!! We talkin' bout kickoffs? I leave this once again:

emoses14 wrote:Image

"Strike first, strike hard, strike fast, no mercy, sir."
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:32 pm

I'm as excited as any here about Forbath's success as our kicker and I'm hoping that will continue

I was not aware that the HC and Danny Smith would actually prefer shorter kickoffs as some have pointed out :shock:

my concern was based on the fact that Kai seemed to not be able to get a lot of height on his deeper kicks

i'm OK with that - now that I know what the game plan is for kickoff coverage ... :wink:
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Postby skinsfan#33 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:44 am

As gif as he keeps making kicks and his Kick offs continue to be OK, then he will continue to be employed.

SJ,
Your posts seam like your eager for him to fall on his face. That may not be what you intended to convey, but it is certainly what you conveyed!

Now you're saying you are as happy as anyone here that Kia is 10 for 10, but then you say he needs to improve his KOs or he will be gone.

Both of those statements are total BS. If you wee as happy as anyone here you wouldn't care enough about his KOs to even mention then after he hit his tenth kick from 48 yards, with the entire nation watching, and securing us a win against are hated rivals.

There is no way he gets cut if he keeps living the way he has and to say he would is just simply insane. His KOs would have to dramatically get worse our he would have to start Cundiffing kicks!

Out looks like we have found a kicker, we haven't had a reliable kicker since Lowmiller or Mosely and you want to pick nits about KOs that aren't great, but aren't bad!
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:47 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:SJ,
Your posts seam like your eager for him to fall on his face. That may not be what you intended to convey, but it is certainly what you conveyed!

Pretty much...
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

#######

Postby The Hogster » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:34 am

Forbath is a beast. He's the guy. Stop obsessing over Gano. He stinks. Kai is the Guy. And, now you see why.

Corny but true. Stop mentioning Gano-Good.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

#######

Postby The Hogster » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:27 pm

What kind of crack must people be smoking to think a team would cut an insanely accurate kicker because he isn't kicking Enuf touchbacks.
?? Clean those nostrils. Step away from the pipe

You have 11 guys covering kicks for a reason. You act like teams only line up the kicker on kickoffs. SMH

Did kickoffs save Cundiff?? Guano?? How short of a memory must you have to say this stuff.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:17 pm

The Hogster wrote:Forbath is a beast. He's the guy. Stop obsessing over Gano. He stinks. Kai is the Guy. And, now you see why.

Corny but true. Stop mentioning Gano-Good.

Agree.

I was a Gano supporter, but it's obvious that Forbath is clearly better.

I'm on the Kai bandwagon. The kid is 25. If he keeps this up, he could be our kicker for the next decade.........
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:26 pm

:lol:

with the crappy kickers we've had in the past, Kai looks like Janikowski out there.. or the guy from the Pats.. or the guy from Indy.

KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK KAI, WE FANS ARE PROUD OF YOU EVEN THOUGH WE DON'T ALWAYS PREACH IT. :lol:
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:18 pm

Gano just missed a crucial PAT for the Panthers. Just sayin...
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

Hog

Postby DaveD1420 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:28 pm

ATX_Skins wrote:Gano just missed a crucial PAT for the Panthers. Just sayin...

Beat me to it!!

Gotta head to the Panthers boards and see if the cheer of "GANOOOOO!!!" Has started yet.

Hog

Postby DaveD1420 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:32 pm

Haha they're already calling for him to be cut. Awesome.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:52 am

I'm just blown away that Forbath has come in here as a rookie and done this well. We had a lot of comments here over the past couple years about how we needed to be patient and let Gano learn and develop. I'm not knocking those posts, but its kind of a lesson maybe?

Btw who gets the credit for fixing the damn blocked kick issue this season? Danny Smith? Forbath? Linemen?

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football