Who's Gonna Start?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:51 pm

Cousins could be retained by the skins for the duration of his rook contract... he's, obviously, one hell of a back-up. However, he has just made himself a very serious candidate for a starting position on a roster somewhere. That will be worth a high pick or starter talent from someone... There are teams in the league who would overpay for his talent, leadership, poise, and productivity. That was one hell of a first start.

I'm sure the phone is already ringing at Redskins Park...

... and, he deserves to start somewhere... as long as it's not in the NFC East.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:19 pm

Countertrey wrote:Cousins could be retained by the skins for the duration of his rook contract... he's, obviously, one hell of a back-up. However, he has just made himself a very serious candidate for a starting position on a roster somewhere. That will be worth a high pick or starter talent from someone... There are teams in the league who would overpay for his talent, leadership, poise, and productivity. That was one hell of a first start.

I'm sure the phone is already ringing at Redskins Park...

... and, he deserves to start somewhere... as long as it's not in the NFC East.

Arizona, Kansas City, Jacksonville, Tennessee, and Buffalo are all the teams I'm thinking of who might be just desperate enough to choke up a first rounder
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:43 pm

I'd keep him. QB's get hurt, and I trust hat the Redskins "player development" group, the Bruce Allen scouts and evaluators, will keep drafting good players.

Think of all the players that Shanahan and Allen have dropped since taking over. Gibbs did the same with the junk ge inherited.

What makes a team good -- not just now, but in the "old days" before free-agency -- is drafting good players in rounds 3, 4, 5, 6.

Example: consider the rounds in which the Skins drafted Dexter Manley (4th?), Charles Mann (3rd?), Jeff Bostic (10th or not drafted?), Darryl Grant, Joe Jacoby...and I'm not even looking at the rosters of the Gibbs SB teams. Those are just off the top of my head.

If a typical NFL career is about 5 seasons, you can't do much with just your rounds 1 and 2 picks.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football