Rob Parker....another reason to hate ESPN

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:43 pm

It's par for the course. The sports world has been so desperate to find a counter-point to RGIII's greatness; a way to try to tear him down or "take him down a peg" that this comes as no surprise to me.

They've tried the tired old "he runs a gimmicky college offense" thing. Some went so far as to say that NFL defenses would figure him out by the second half of the season. Well, here we are and RGIII and his gimmicky offense have put up 30+ points in three of their last four games.

They have routinely questioned his toughness. They treat every hit he takes like he's some delicate flower. I have never seen them show so much concern for a QB's safety as a general theme. I mean, if the guy has been sacked 7-8 times in a game or is already hurt maybe, but with RGIII it's been since game 1 and before, after and during every game. I've tried to avoid ESPN just because I don't feel like hearing the "we-told-you-so" chorus.

Now this? He's not "black enough"? And with Skip Bayless right there on the panel? The man who accused us of being racists and secretly wanting Kirk Cousins to be QB because he's white?

I loved Bayless' contribution to the conversation "we'll, did you see his hair?" (Or whatever he said)

It's like a white racist and a black racist both arguing why RGIII doesn't belong in their camp.

"Oh he's not black enough. He's got a white fianceė"

"Yeah, but he's got dreads, that's not a white hairstyle"

"Yeah, but I think he voted republican"

Ridiculous...
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

Hog

Postby Burgundy&Wha? » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:28 pm

Countertrey wrote:
The Hogster wrote:That is proof that stupidity does not discriminate. That is the single most ignorant, dumb, and racist thing anyone can say regardless of race.

Rob Parker--you sir are an idiot.
Thank you. Jimmy the Greek's career disappeared the instant such racist crap spewed from his mouth... frankly, this is far worse, as it is personal.

ESPN needs to step up. Racism is racism.

Within weeks of that Jimmy The Greek incident, NBC News did a primetime feature that essentially took his position. Not defending him at all here, I just find the irony distasteful.

ESPN should fire this guy. Period. They ran Rush Limbaugh out of there for saying that Donovan McNabb didn't work hard enough and that the reason he was thought so highly of was that liberal reporters wanted him to do well. Well, once he got here we saw what his work ethic was like. The VIkings saw the same thing. If ESPN will run Limbaugh off for something that was essentially accurate, they should have kicked this guy out before the end of the workday.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:57 pm

Burgundy&Wha? wrote:They ran Rush Limbaugh out of there for saying that Donovan McNabb didn't work hard enough and that the reason he was thought so highly of was that liberal reporters wanted him to do well.

Come on now, that's not *exactly* what Rush said. (I'm not even sure what you're talking about regarding Rush and McNabb's work ethic.) What he said was McNabb wasn't that good and the "liberal media' was propping him because they wanted to see a black QB do well. You know, affirmative action at the NFL level. Here's the EXACT statement that got him canned:

"I don't think he's been that good from the get-go. I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. I think the media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. They're interested in black coaches and black quarterbacks doing well. I think there's a little hope invested in McNabb and he got a lot of credit for the performance of his team that he really didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

That was a stupid hire from the jump and little surprise that fat idiot said something stupid and offensive.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:01 pm

tribeofjudah wrote:remember the question: "How long have you been a black quarterback" as asked of Doug Williams?

Urban myth. Never happened.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:26 pm

Deadskins wrote:
tribeofjudah wrote:remember the question: "How long have you been a black quarterback" as asked of Doug Williams?

Urban myth. Never happened.
Yup... totally twisted... and pretty much screwed the guy's career.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby FLWSkin » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:38 pm

And what is really sad is when you hear reporters, esp black ones, say, "Why do we have to call black QBs black?" Then when you jus call him a QB....its like, he's a BLACK QB, why do we have to take the black part out of it? I'm like...WTF????

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:51 pm

Burgundy&Wha? wrote:
Countertrey wrote:
The Hogster wrote:That is proof that stupidity does not discriminate. That is the single most ignorant, dumb, and racist thing anyone can say regardless of race.

Rob Parker--you sir are an idiot.
Thank you. Jimmy the Greek's career disappeared the instant such racist crap spewed from his mouth... frankly, this is far worse, as it is personal.

ESPN needs to step up. Racism is racism.

Within weeks of that Jimmy The Greek incident, NBC News did a primetime feature that essentially took his position. Not defending him at all here, I just find the irony distasteful.

ESPN should fire this guy. Period. They ran Rush Limbaugh out of there for saying that Donovan McNabb didn't work hard enough and that the reason he was thought so highly of was that liberal reporters wanted him to do well. Well, once he got here we saw what his work ethic was like. The VIkings saw the same thing. If ESPN will run Limbaugh off for something that was essentially accurate, they should have kicked this guy out before the end of the workday.

Jimmy the Greek was talking fantasy. I was an apprentice historian -- intended to go to grad school in history until "fate" push me towards computers. There were suggestions, and attempts to document "slave breeding"...some historians guessed that the in older slave states, the tobacco states like Virginia, some plantation owners sold slaves to the newer cotton areas like Alabama and Mississippi. An idea that would have made economic sense if slave-owners thought with the same economics that 20th century business-owners use.

But they didn't. The slave-owners seem to have wanted to imitate their idea of a Eurpean aristocracy...where money was less important than show and "manners" and having a big house with Greek-style columns. Mark Twain said that the old south was drunk on images from Sir Walter Scott ("Life on the Mississippi"). Eugene Genovese said the same thing, in more detail but with less snap than Twain.

Further, none the "slave breeding" historians suggested that slaves were purposely bred for athletics, or even for strength. See Herb Gutman's "Black Family in Slavery and Freedom"; Gutman found that slaves married for pretty much the same reasons everyone else did. Slave families could be taken apart in some circumstances -- if, for instance, the owner went broke and the planation was sold. But there is little evidence that masters arranged marriages to create a "master race" of slave / athletes...or had the power to try.

Jimmy the Greek was fired because he made up garbage.

Roll back a few decades, and many boxers were Italians. The Rockies: Marciano and Graziano, for instance. Nobody has suggested that Italians were bred to box.

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:06 pm

This guy is a knuckle head for BRINGING this up. He said:

Is RGIII "down with the cause?" "he's Republican" "his fiance is white"...? He just wants to dig deeper about RGIII.

SO WHAT........??? what's your point?

Here's comments from Levine, a radio figure:

Frederick Douglass was "Down with the cause" of Abolition...
He was Republican
His second wife was white (after his first wife died)

SO WHAT.............Mr Man.....??? Rob put himself in hot water here....
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

Hog

Postby ACW » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:08 am

Well, regarding Douglass being a Repub...back then the Repubs were more the party of civil rights, and the Dems were more the racist party, so that part doesn't quite hold water.
DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

Hognostications 2012-2013 Co-Champion (and Playoff Champion)

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:35 am

The funny thing is, I've seen those same inaccurate sentiments echoed on this very forum.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:53 am

Rush should have [never] been [hired] fired.

Bayless should be fired, mostly for being an idiot, and a bit of race baiting.

This guy, whose name I don't even remember and am too lazy to look up, should have been fired already.

Racism is racism is racism. This man should have known better.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:29 am

This dude is a whack and he is dangerous. Whoever RG3 tends to love, hang out with, marry it's none of our business. The fact that this "black" dude had the nerve to get up and make these comments is amazing that after all we as a race have had to deal with that this fool would even say these things. I mean who is this dude anyway I have never heard of him and rather than to worry, comment about RG3 he needs to worry about himself. I mean brother, cornball brother, down for the cause? WTF?? I personally think this dude smoked too much PCP and is stuck in 1984. No black people that I know even use those words anymore..........

Hog

Postby funsho2 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:18 am

What a stupid comment....seriously in 2012? You dont even know the guy...RG3 is a well mannered guy...who cares who he dates....im glad steven a smith set him straight

swine

Postby stacylee12 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:20 am

riggofan wrote:Caught this on ESPN while I was eating lunch today, really couldn't believe the discussion.

I think this stuff is a lot more important to people of Rob Parker's generation than it is to young guys like RGIII. Probably a good thing. Hopefully ten years from now, you'll never hear the phrase "black quarterback" again.

To quote En Vogue, "Free your mind and the rest will follow. Be color blind. Don't be so shallow."

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:31 am

This type of BS reporting is really not much of a surprise - there is a certain section of the press/media that needs to be controversial

It's just the way it is - this is not going to change ... and worse - reacting to it is part of the idiot's plan

I'm moving on - we have a lot of other topics to enjoy

this is trash
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football