Playoff Point Spread

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk
Posts: 4449
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Playoff Point Spread

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:42 pm

We opened as 2.5 point home dogs.

If Vegas is trying to reflect/predict public opinion then the betting public thinks the SheHawks are 5.5 points better than we on a neutral field. That seems extreme to me. So far, 52% of the cash is on SEA.

5 teams beat SEA on the road this year - ARZ, RAM, 49R, DET, MIA.

DET is the only team to put more than 24 on SEA this year - they scored 28.

SEA has been a low scoring team too. They put up 50 twice lately but that was all about their D - once at home and once at BUF - and that was in Canada, not at BUF.

We are now 3 point home dogs.

I like that.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

newbie
User avatar
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:42 pm
Location: Indiana

Postby tallen46721 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:53 pm

i think we'll be quite fine if our defense keeps getting well timed turnovers! HTTR!
“I’m never a star. I’ll never be a star. Other people may think I’m a star, but I’m just Alfred." - Alfred Morris (AKA- The A-Train)

The Punisher
Posts: 2593
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:34 am
Location: Manassas

Postby Bob 0119 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:55 pm

Wow, hey, nice avatar DM! Is it new or have I just not been paying attention?
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1776
Joined: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:44 am
Location: Houston, TX

Postby markshark84 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:12 pm

I was surprised at that line. I expected it to be a pick em or 1 point favorites seeing how SEA doesn't play well on the road.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Skins History Buff
Online
Posts: 4874
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 5:36 pm
Location: New York, NY

Postby welch » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:48 am

I hope the Skins are a 5-point underdogs by game-time. The less respect, the better they play.

Come on world: underestimate these Redskins!

DarthMonk
Posts: 4449
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:47 am

Bob 0119 wrote:Wow, hey, nice avatar DM! Is it new or have I just not been paying attention?


Brand new. Let me go dig. I have to thank someone.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

~~~~~~
Posts: 10208
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:59 am
Location: Canada

Re: Playoff Point Spread

Postby Redskin in Canada » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:03 am

DarthMonk wrote:We opened as 2.5 point home dogs.

We started at 4.5 shortly after the Dallas game. It moved to 3.0 and then to 2.5.

REMEMBER people, this is just a measure of the amounts of bets placed and not "experts" views. What the movement means is that MOST people placing bets LIKED to bet on the Skins with THOSE original spreads (+4.5 and +3.0).

This is a tough game to call. Somehow, I have a feeling that one team may blow the other if and when things work out well for one and not the other. Both teams can score quickly and often. The one with the better plan on offense and defense will win.

I am much less inclined to think that a close game may happen. But I have been wrong many times before.

So, my prediction is:

This will be a high scoring game with more than a TD difference in favour of the winner.

Now, think about it: if Arizona, Miami, St Louis, and Detroit, among others, won at home against Seattle, can we do it? I like our chances. Just make sure that the refs do not do another FAIL MARY call or Mara's accomplices do not officiate our game. YES< officiating may play a VERY significant role in this game. Seattle secondary does a lot of interference (pulling and shoving) and those penalties need to be called.
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

#######
Posts: 7225
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:13 pm
Location: Washington D.C.

Postby The Hogster » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:08 am

Skins win 31-17
SPIT HAPPENS!!
___________________________

~~~~~~
Posts: 10208
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:59 am
Location: Canada

Postby Redskin in Canada » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:19 am

The Hogster wrote:Skins win 31-17

Most people could call this crazy but I do not really think it is. It is one scenario that can actually have a good chance to happen.

I forgot to mention the importance of special teams. We need good returns from kickoffs and punts. We need to stop big plays from them on special teams.i am not sure whom I would want to put in there from us to return. Crawford? Paul? Hall? Who?
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

DarthMonk
Posts: 4449
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Re: Playoff Point Spread

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:27 am

Redskin in Canada wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:We opened as 2.5 point home dogs.

We started at 4.5 shortly after the Dallas game. It moved to 3.0 and then to 2.5.


Must be a London book. Everything I see says opend at 1.5 to 2.5 then moved to 3.

Examples:

http://www.madduxsports.com/nfl-odds.php#odds

http://linemakers.sportingnews.com/nfl/ ... s-redskins

Redskin in Canada wrote:REMEMBER people, this is just a measure of the amounts of bets placed and not "experts" views. What the movement means is that MOST people placing bets LIKED to bet on the Skins with THOSE original spreads (+4.5 and +3.0).


Not necessarily. Sometimes Vegas tries to win outright.

Redskin in Canada wrote:This is a tough game to call. Somehow, I have a feeling that one team may blow the other if and when things work out well for one and not the other. Both teams can score quickly and often. The one with the better plan on offense and defense will win.

I am much less inclined to think that a close game may happen. But I have been wrong many times before.

So, my prediction is:

This will be a high scoring game with more than a TD difference in favour of the winner.

Now, think about it: if Arizona, Miami, St Louis, and Detroit, among others, won at home against Seattle, can we do it? I like our chances. Just make sure that the refs do not do another FAIL MARY call or Mara's accomplices do not officiate our game. YES< officiating may play a VERY significant role in this game. Seattle secondary does a lot of interference (pulling and shoving) and those penalties need to be called.


I like our chances too.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

ATX
Posts: 3384
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:59 am
Location: NOVA

Postby ATX_Skins » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:31 am

The Hogster wrote:Skins win 31-17


I like this prediction.
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

~~~~~~
Posts: 10208
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:59 am
Location: Canada

Postby Redskin in Canada » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:00 pm

Superbowl winning chances. Most houses do not give us much of a chance in general (1/18 ) and their logic points at us losing this game (Seahawks 1/12):

Code: Select all
Broncos   3/1
Patriots   15/4
49ers   6/1
Falcons   7/1
Packers   15/2
Seahawks   12/1
Texans   14/1
Redskins   18/1
Ravens   22/1
Vikings   35/1
Bengals   40/1
Colts    40/1


I think that the Falcons and Seahawks are overrated.
Daniel Snyder has defined incompetence, failure and greed to true Washington Redskins fans over the last decade. Stay away from football operations !!!

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16161
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:21 pm

Redskin in Canada wrote:I think that the Falcons and Seahawks are overrated.

Both are very tough at home. The difference is Atlanta has home field advantage throughout. That said, we will beat Atlanta at home, next week.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13401
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:47 pm

Deadskins wrote:
Redskin in Canada wrote:I think that the Falcons and Seahawks are overrated.

Both are very tough at home. The difference is Atlanta has home field advantage throughout. That said, we will beat Atlanta at home, next week.


no doubt - Falcons and Sqwarks are overrated

Each year, a number of teams considered 'better' or are 'rated' higher, lose in the playoffs

we can win the next 2 .... after that .... :lol:

THINK ABOUT IT

right now we're playing better than the g strings were last year .... :lol:


No team wants to play against the Redskins, right now - it's not that we're better - we're just able to find a way to win the game

that's what's so rewarding about the way this team has responded
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL


Currently 50-41

JSPB22
User avatar
Posts: 16161
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:03 am
Location: Location, LOCATION!

Postby Deadskins » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:51 pm

SkinsJock wrote:No team wants to play against the Redskins, right now - it's not that we're better - we're just able to find a way to win the game

I totally disagree. We are the better team. :roll:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.


Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football