Trade Cousins

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:26 pm

Countertrey wrote:John Gruden: says if he were coaching, and his quarterback went down, he would be offering a #1 for Cousins.

Maybe Cousins is worth it... or...
Maybe that's Gruden's not coaching...

Gruden likes saying things to get attention. He's also coming from the perspective of a coach who lives for today and not a GM who is thinking longer term. I like Gruden, but he does like saying things. It's his job.

I'm not saying we wouldn't get a #1, I'm just not counting on it until we actually get offered a #1.

It would be interesting if we were offered one in the next year. Would we take it? My guess is yes, but it would require some thought.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:16 am

A lot depends on who's doing the offering. But you have to figure any team willing to trade their top pick for a QB is probably not doing too well.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby grampi » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:49 pm

Seeing that RG3 is, dare I say it "injury prone", I'd say the Skins need to do whatever is necessary to keep KC...he's good enough to get us through in the event RG3 gets hurt...

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:29 pm

grampi wrote:Seeing that RG3 is, dare I say it "injury prone", I'd say the Skins need to do whatever is necessary to keep KC...he's good enough to get us through in the event RG3 gets hurt...

I do think that we are fortunate to have Cousins and that we should keep him for now ... but I totally disagree with the reasoning

every team needs a decent back-up and Rex is NOT that - he's OK, but he's not helping this franchise win an NFC East title
Cousins could .... he's here for now but not because of RG3 but more because he's a better QB than Rex
I doubt that we'd get much in a trade for Rex :twisted:

Rex is here and we are lucky to have a #3 as good as he is ...
Robert Griffin will become a really good QB he's talented and smart

hopefully Kirk Cousins can make things happen till RG3 is ready to play again

HAIL

Week 3 - 27-21

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:48 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:
Countertrey wrote:John Gruden: says if he were coaching, and his quarterback went down, he would be offering a #1 for Cousins.

Maybe Cousins is worth it... or...
Maybe that's Gruden's not coaching...

[Gruden]'s also coming from the perspective of a coach who lives for today and not a GM who is thinking longer term.

This is an excellent point. Shanny is essentially both which puts him in some awkward positions.

For instance, I'd say the Coach in Shanny wants Griff in there week one for sure but the GM in Shanny would like to be a little more measured in his thinking. The Coach in him won the internal battle when we were playing Seattle.

This injury could put extra pressure on Coach Shanny to twist GM Shanny's arm a little.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

piggie

Postby oj » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:18 pm

I'm thinking RGIII can play more to his natural style - i wouldn't call it reckless abandon but its' close - because he knows if *sh$t* happens Kirk has his back.
Think how he'd play if Rex was backup.
Molon Labe

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:21 pm

The ONLY way that RG3 is playing in week 1 is if he gets 'cleared' to play by Dr Andrews and Mike thinks that he's going to be able to play effectively - there is NO WAY that both Mike and RG3 are going to make the 'mistakes' they both made after the hit he took in the Ravens game - NO WAY - Mike Bruce and RG3 are VERY aware of the fact that their future is on the line here

There is NO WAY that RG3 is NOT playing if he's cleared by the DR and Mike is sure he's ready to play effectively - NO WAY

Cousins is here as the #2 because he's a better QB than Rex and down the road a bit he might be worth trading

Despite what Gruden said, I doubt that anyone is giving us a #1 for Cousins - at least, not this season and we would not be interested at this time anyway ...

HAIL

Week 3 - 27-21

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:26 pm

SkinsJock wrote:Despite what Gruden said, I doubt that anyone is giving us a #1 for Cousins - at least, not this season and we would not be interested at this time anyway ...

Trust me, we're always interested in a #1. Like I said, it depends on who's offering.

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:33 pm

Deadskins wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:Despite what Gruden said, I doubt that anyone is giving us a #1 for Cousins - at least, not this season and we would not be interested at this time anyway ...

Trust me, we're always interested in a #1. Like I said, it depends on who's offering.

I hear you and I agree that it would be very tempting - I doubt that Bruce and Mike will let him go at this time
we do have a very good FO now though and we do not have a #1 next year ... :twisted:

HAIL

Week 3 - 27-21

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:11 am

SkinsJock wrote:There is NO WAY that RG3 is NOT playing if he's cleared by the DR and Mike is sure he's ready to play effectively - NO WAY

So you are saying if the Dr. clears RGIII to play week one, and the Coach thinks RGIII is the best QB on the roster that week, then RGIII will definitely play against the Eagles?

Very enlightening. Glad somebody cleared that up for us.

In other news of the obvious, Brian Orakpo will also start week one if both of his legs are not broken and the Redskins will DEFINITELY start Kai Forbath against the Eagles if Mike Shanahan thinks he is the strongest kicker on the roster.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:22 am

I doubt that we trade Cousins ... at least not soon

I would not be surprised to see Pat White make the roster & I do think that Kyle (Mike) are going to run a lot of the read option again this season especially given that they have the talents of RG3 :D

however ... I think that we will see Grossman as the #3 QB ... at least, until the bye week

HAIL

Week 3 - 27-21

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:35 am

Deadskins wrote:

To add a little more to that.. if a team who is usually a top 10 draft team wants to give us their #1 for Cousins.. we'd really be idiots to turn it down.
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:43 am

Deadskins wrote:

Jets or Jags after this year is over...
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:06 am

langleyparkjoe wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

To add a little more to that.. if a team who is usually a top 10 draft team wants to give us their #1 for Cousins.. we'd really be idiots to turn it down.

That's the point. If it's the Broncos looking for Peyton's successor, then maybe not. But if it's the Raiders, you pull the trigger.

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:51 pm

I hear Bradford is out for the year. How about we give the Rams Cousins and our next #1 for their next #1 and #2 and their two #1s after that?

:lol:
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football