Any and All News About RG3's Knee - Merged

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
cleg

Postby cleg » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:56 am

Shanahan also sent Terrell Davis back into the Super Bowl as a decoy when HE COULD NOT SEE from a migrane/concussion. He does not care at all about these guys, only his own ego and legacy.
Drinking the Kool-Aid again...

Re: Bad news about the knee

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:24 am

crazyhorse1 wrote:RG3 has a torn ACL but extent of damage not yet determined--could be extremely serious. I feel sick.

Did I miss a report some where? I know the press conference would lead some to grieve that there is at least a partial tear of the ACL or LCL or both, but NOTHING has come out saying what is actually wrong with his knee because the Doctors don't even know yet. They may suspect something, but they don't know anything yet.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

cleg

Postby cleg » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:29 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:
crazyhorse1 wrote:RG3 has a torn ACL but extent of damage not yet determined--could be extremely serious. I feel sick.

Did I miss a report some where? I know the press conference would lead some to grieve that there is at least a partial tear of the ACL or LCL or both, but NOTHING has come out saying what is actually wrong with his knee because the Doctors don't even know yet. They may suspect something, but they don't know anything yet.
The Washington Post and CSN Washington have a report of partial tears but not sure if they are old or new - not sure why that matters.

|||||||

Postby UK Skins Fan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:34 am

Plenty of emotion round here, and understandably so. It's at times like this that I prefer not to post for a day or two. Everything is speculation right now - speculation based on what has been said, and speculation based on what hasn't been said. Personally, I'm trying to brace for the worst possible news (well, not the very worst possible - that would be career ending injury), and expecting not to see RGIII in the huddle again until 2014. If we get to see him starting in week one next season, a very large bullet will have been dodged by us, by Shanahan, by the Redskins medical staff, and by RGIII. I'm not speaking from hindsight when I say that I wanted RGIII taken out of the game at halftime on Sunday. Every movement he tried to make was uncomfortable for me, and probably excruciating for him. I like to think that if I'd been in Shanahan's shoes, I'd have had the courage/sense to take #10 out, and brought in Cousins.

I'd have taken that decision based on having a duty of care for the player, and an obligation not to take UNNECESSARY risks with his health. Yes, there are risks for every player on every play, but that does not give coaches a get out of jail free card when making decisions like this.

Not only that, my decision would have been based on my belief that RGIII's standard of play was well below normal. Yes, there were a couple of drops, but a number of his throws just weren't on target. With his performance against Cleveland, Cousins had earned the right to be trusted with the job in the second half. I'll go further than that, and say that if it had been Rex Grossman dressed on the sideline instead of Cousins, I'd have sent Rex in. A gamble in terms of trying to win the game, but so was keeping Griffin in the game. And it would have removed the foolish gamble with RGIII's health.

Just my opinion. And as I said, believe me that this isn't just hindsight.

Shanahan has stated that he'll probably second guess his decisions, and he'd be right to. I think he got this wrong.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

cleg

Postby cleg » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:53 am

UK Skins Fan wrote:Plenty of emotion round here, and understandably so. It's at times like this that I prefer not to post for a day or two. Everything is speculation right now - speculation based on what has been said, and speculation based on what hasn't been said. Personally, I'm trying to brace for the worst possible news (well, not the very worst possible - that would be career ending injury), and expecting not to see RGIII in the huddle again until 2014. If we get to see him starting in week one next season, a very large bullet will have been dodged by us, by Shanahan, by the Redskins medical staff, and by RGIII. I'm not speaking from hindsight when I say that I wanted RGIII taken out of the game at halftime on Sunday. Every movement he tried to make was uncomfortable for me, and probably excruciating for him. I like to think that if I'd been in Shanahan's shoes, I'd have had the courage/sense to take #10 out, and brought in Cousins.

I'd have taken that decision based on having a duty of care for the player, and an obligation not to take UNNECESSARY risks with his health. Yes, there are risks for every player on every play, but that does not give coaches a get out of jail free card when making decisions like this.

Not only that, my decision would have been based on my belief that RGIII's standard of play was well below normal. Yes, there were a couple of drops, but a number of his throws just weren't on target. With his performance against Cleveland, Cousins had earned the right to be trusted with the job in the second half. I'll go further than that, and say that if it had been Rex Grossman dressed on the sideline instead of Cousins, I'd have sent Rex in. A gamble in terms of trying to win the game, but so was keeping Griffin in the game. And it would have removed the foolish gamble with RGIII's health.

Just my opinion. And as I said, believe me that this isn't just hindsight.

Shanahan has stated that he'll probably second guess his decisions, and he'd be right to. I think he got this wrong.
Nicely said - completely agree.
I too am bracing myself for 2014 as the next time we see RGIII on the field. Also bracing myself for a year of "told you so's" by fans of other teams.

I like Russel Wilson, he seems like a good kid and I certainly do not want to see him hurt but I sure would like for him to fall flat on his face vs Atlanta so we can stop hearing about how he is so much better than RGIII and Luck.

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:09 am

cleg wrote:
skinsfan#33 wrote:

The Washington Post and CSN Washington have a report of partial tears but not sure if they are old or new - not sure why that matters.
those reports are based on Shanny's presser and putting 2&2 together.

An I saying it isn't reasonable assumption; no.

I think the drs have a good idea what is wrong, but even they aren't sure, yet. That is what the further testing is for.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:41 am

I have a very good friend a Dr. Daniel Gordon that does MRI's and he said that if its a partial tear surgery won't be needed. If it's a full tear we are screwed 9-12 months FAST HEALER 12-14 months NORMAL HEALER....Either way if it's more than partial tears we are screwed, Kirk Cousins will be the starter most likely next year...........

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:56 am

I'm fine with waiting a bit - there's a lot of BS (Bad Speculation) out there right now

I just don't think that this is as bad as some are implying

btw - there's no sense getting concerned or upset at what the media or fans of other players think

- there is NO DOUBT who is the best rookie QB this year

- there is NO DOUBT who is the Rookie of the Year

- there is NO DOUBT who is the better QB for the Redskins - next season and beyond - (RG3, Luck or Wilson)

it's always kind of humorous to me that so many fans here really care what other fans think :lol:

IT DOES NOT MATTER - get over it :twisted:

We are the defending NFC East Champions - NOBODY can take that away

we did good - I'm looking forward to seeing RG3 and the guys getting ready to defend our title
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

Robert has to make a huge effort to show he's got what it takes to be a future great QB - we need the real RG3 not the hyped version

Hail to the Redskins

piggie

Postby Redskinsfansince81 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:00 am

Well isn't that great. Tear up a knee to lose a playoff game, when most likely they weren't going to win the Super Bowl.

:x

But I guess "hindsight is 20/20."

Joe's#1Fan

Postby gibbsfan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:24 am

SkinsJock wrote:I'm fine with waiting a bit - there's a lot of BS (Bad Speculation) out there right now

I just don't think that this is as bad as some are implying

btw - there's no sense getting concerned or upset at what the media or fans of other players think

- there is NO DOUBT who is the best rookie QB this year

- there is NO DOUBT who is the Rookie of the Year

- there is NO DOUBT who is the better QB for the Redskins - next season and beyond - (RG3, Luck or Wilson)

it's always kind of humorous to me that so many fans here really care what other fans think :lol:

IT DOES NOT MATTER - get over it :twisted:

We are the defending NFC East Champions - NOBODY can take that away

we did good - I'm looking forward to seeing RG3 and the guys getting ready to defend our title

That would be my take on all this as well i just laugh it off when it comes to other teams fans anyways.
Thanks for 10 years .
HTTR

Another Year Full Of Redskins Drama
"As The World Turns"

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:41 am

DaSkinz Baby wrote:I have a very good friend a Dr. Daniel Gordon that does MRI's and he said that if its a partial tear surgery won't be needed. If it's a full tear we are screwed 9-12 months FAST HEALER 12-14 months NORMAL HEALER....
Either way if it's more than partial tears we are screwed, Kirk Cousins will be the starter most likely next year.

OK - PLEASE ask your "very good friend" to explain how A P was able to do what he did THIS season after the injury to his knee in December 2011

THANKS

and

so now, let me get this straight - "Either way ... Kirk Cousins "will be the starter" OR "most likely, will be the starter" ?? :roll:

WHY NOT WAIT - why create this BS :twisted:
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

Robert has to make a huge effort to show he's got what it takes to be a future great QB - we need the real RG3 not the hyped version

Hail to the Redskins

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:11 am

SkinsJock wrote:
DaSkinz Baby wrote:I have a very good friend a Dr. Daniel Gordon that does MRI's and he said that if its a partial tear surgery won't be needed. If it's a full tear we are screwed 9-12 months FAST HEALER 12-14 months NORMAL HEALER....
Either way if it's more than partial tears we are screwed, Kirk Cousins will be the starter most likely next year.

OK - PLEASE ask your "very good friend" to explain how A P was able to do what he did THIS season after the injury to his knee in December 2011

September is 9 months after December and AP is a fast healer.

How did I do?
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:14 am

RGIII was a bit selfish to the team because he wanted to stay in so he could win the game. Shanahan is mostly to blame, since everyone and their mother could see that Griffin was nowhere near even 50% by the end of the first quarter. But Griffin also needs to get some criticism here too. Cousins has proved that he can come in and win games, and at halftime all he needed to do was come in and protect our lead. I disagree with RGIII saying he was the best option to win that day. A healthy Kirk Cousins is better than RGIII with one leg. Hindsight is 20/20 though. Just hate having such a great season (7 wins in a row to win the division) just to see it pissed away in one game.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:26 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:RGIII was a bit selfish to the team because he wanted to stay in so he could win the game.

"Pierre Garcon is selfish for not playing through pain" the opinion of many fans here earlier this season... perhaps THEY were right. He still has the injury... once he came back, he made a huge difference.

"Cutler should be playing... he's just dinged up"... regarding Jay Cutler declaring himself not able to play... who knows?

What's a player supposed to do??? A player with guts will want to play... I WANT my players to try to man up when hurt. It's up to the Coaches to moderate that... not the player.

I will NEVER consider a player selfish for wanting to be in the game. I WANT that. I don't expect the player to be objective about himself... that's the coach's job. jeeze.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby RayNAustin » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:41 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:RGIII was a bit selfish to the team because he wanted to stay in so he could win the game. Shanahan is mostly to blame, since everyone and their mother could see that Griffin was nowhere near even 50% by the end of the first quarter. But Griffin also needs to get some criticism here too. Cousins has proved that he can come in and win games, and at halftime all he needed to do was come in and protect our lead. I disagree with RGIII saying he was the best option to win that day. A healthy Kirk Cousins is better than RGIII with one leg. Hindsight is 20/20 though. Just hate having such a great season (7 wins in a row to win the division) just to see it pissed away in one game.

That's a great point, and I concur wholeheartedly. The level of maturity and humility that RG3 has projected throughout this whirlwind of hype and early success has been remarkable for a kid just 22 years old. I mean, really, I cannot recall a player getting more media attention .. not just Washington media, but national ... and he's handled all of that with an astounding level of humbleness ....

But his behavior and comments about being the best option, even in the beat up state he was in, kinda betrays that humble image he presents to the media ... hey .. he's a kid, and it was inevitable that he might take a few sips of his own kool-aide ... and that is also present in the comment he made to Alfred Morris after the Cowboys game "they haven't won the division since 1999, and we did it in one year".

So, yes, we have a super athlete QB, who is arguably the best player on the field when he's at full speed and health. And such athletes always think they can overcome whatever obstacle dealt them .. but a one legged RG3 is not superior to a healthy Kirk Cousins, who's only full game racked up RG3 like stats .... sure it was the Browns ... but Kirk had a 70% comp ... 329 yards ... 2 TDs .. and an 8.9 yard per pass average. and put up 38 points. Those are some gaudy numbers for a rookie in his first full NFL game. and I'm telling you that with a 14 point 1st Q lead, and a defense that prepared for RG3, Kirk could have come in and managed this game to a win. The Hawks were on their heels, and the defense was playing great, and one more score would have put those guys in a huge hole. Anyway, that's done, and it's really not the significant point.

The point is, Shanahan ... BOTH of them mishandled this terribly. In those first two drives, RG3 should not have been running AT ALL in his condition, REGARDLESS of his "I can do it Coach, I'm fine" attitude. Calmer, wiser heads have to prevail, but apparently, none could be found on the Redskin sidelines. That they kept RG3 in there after the re-injury during the 2nd scoring drive, and and then failed to feed Morris the ball to ease the load on RG3 thereafter, compounded the situation, with error on top of error.

This isn't just a hindsight issue, or monday morning QB ... this is a demonstration of pure incompetence, that hurt the team, hurt the player, and damaged the future. If that's not cause for considering a coaching change, then I'm not sure what would.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football