Redskins name change - here we go again...!!!

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

Will Redskins name be CHANGED and to what....?

NO it will/must NEVER be changed
83%
Yes...change it to THE TRIBE
No votes
Yes...change it to THE SKINS
7%
Yes...change it to APACHES
No votes
........change it to MOHICANS
No votes
.........change it to WARRIORS ON HORSEBACK
No votes
Other option, give suggestion
10%

Total votes : 29
tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Redskins name change - here we go again...!!!

Postby tribeofjudah » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:08 pm

As if there wasn't enough drama in DC, now the Mayor wants to stir things up a little bit more. I know there was a thread about this in the past (but are you shocked that I can't find it...?)

Anywho....can someone tell the Mayor to keep his NOSE out of the NFL...???

The Washington Redskins could be on the verge of being pressured to change their name.

NFL.com's Gregg Rosenthal reports that "Washington D.C. mayor Vincent C. Gray suggested Wednesday that he'd like to discuss a possible name change with the Washington Redskins franchise."

The mayor's stance is not surprising. After all, the team name is terribly politically incorrect, and politics are always front and center in the nation's capital. This is a favorable position for the mayor to take as he tries to make his voting base happy, and the negative backlash is minimal.

As it is now, the Redskins don't even play in the District of Columbia, but their home, FedEx Field, is outdated and this historic franchise could use a new stadium.

To that end, there have been discussions to build them a new stadium in D.C.; that process will be a lot easier on the Redskins' end if the mayor is on board with the process, and that means the Redskins would be wise to heed the mayor's wishes.

This won't be an easy decision for the Redskins, and owner Daniel Snyder hasn't been the type to cave in to the demands of others.

Since 1932, the franchise has been building tremendous value in its brand under the Redskins name.

However, there is reason to believe that the pressure to change their name will only increase and it will likely come to a point where maintaining the name becomes bad business for the organization.

While there will be a period of disconnect while they work under a new name, at some point, this switch will need to be made. They might as well do that now and get it over with.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1478 ... s-nickname
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:23 pm

........there's even a school on a reservation that has the name "Redskins" in it. 90% of native Americans aren't offended by it. Its a name of praise for a football team. The "Browns" better be getting just as much heat from all this.

Lastly, we will riot it they f#@! with our name. Good luck in the election :)

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:27 pm

Oh, so the mayor is an idiot. Good to know, I guess.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Joe's#1Fan

Postby gibbsfan » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:43 pm

Keep the name..its who we are and
What we are about...Tradition.
Thanks for 10 years .
HTTR

Another Year Full Of Redskins Drama
"As The World Turns"

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:45 pm

Not if you don't do anything about it

MORE BS is all
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in the near future, the problems here are complex - we'll win some games but it will take years to be good again

tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Postby tribeofjudah » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:47 pm

The HEAT is ON........ who will fold and give in..???
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:51 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:Oh, so the mayor is an idiot. Good to know, I guess.
It's DC... so, idiocy is a basic requirement.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

cleg

Postby cleg » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:14 pm

HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:........there's even a school on a reservation that has the name "Redskins" in it. 90% of native Americans aren't offended by it. Its a name of praise for a football team. The "Browns" better be getting just as much heat from all this.

dude, the browns were named after their owner, Paul Brown, not brown people.
Drinking the Kool-Aid again...

The Punisher

Postby Bob 0119 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:37 pm

One of the things I have always liked about Snyder is that he has made it clear he intends to keep the team named The Redskins
“If you grow up in metro Washington, you grow up a diehard Redskins fan. But if you hate your parents, you grow up a Cowboys fan.”-Jim Lachey

Hog

Postby DaveD1420 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:37 pm

Change it, I don't care. We just went through all of this up here at UND with the Fighting Sioux, and we survived.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:46 pm

Countertrey wrote:
Irn-Bru wrote:Oh, so the mayor is an idiot. Good to know, I guess.
It's DC... so, idiocy is a basic requirement.

DC is one of the best cities in America. I suspect you're talking about politics. But, I'll just add that not one person in Congress is from DC. They just work here.

As for the mayor, he sucks and is an idiot. Keep the name. It's just that. A name....a brand. HAIL TO THE REDSKINS
SPIT HAPPENS!!

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:31 pm

Being from Chicago, I would truly not be interested in continuing my loyalty to this team under another name. It wouldn't make any sense. I have a deep rooted passion for the name and without living near the city, not sure I would have any reason to continue to follow it having to start all over. Maybe I would still follow them, but my gut says I wouldn't.
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:48 am

cleg wrote:
HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:........there's even a school on a reservation that has the name "Redskins" in it. 90% of native Americans aren't offended by it. Its a name of praise for a football team. The "Browns" better be getting just as much heat from all this.

Very well. We'll just say the Redskins is in relation to the redish-brown skin of the football and the logo is in honor of the native americans. All things in explanation...no one can refute.

Two things crack me up about this:

1. DC has MAJOR issues. I've lived here for 31 years. You're telling me that out of all the things our mayor could have gone public with; of all the issues he could have addressed, he decided that THIS held the most importance and urgency?

Where was he last year when we were losing?

2. I don't recall anyone using the name "redskin" to talk down to a native american. This isn't the 1800's. Perhaps some folks use that phrase, but its not a recognized racial slur...its recognized as the name of a football team without much thought of native americans at all.

Over 90% of native americans have no issue with the name.

Now for the finale: Our forefathers went to war with native americans over land and pushed them back further and further into reservations. Somehow this name change is our way of saying "our bad"? Get a f#@!king life and knit pick over an issue that matters today.

There's really way too many children out there masquerading as adults. The smallest percentage of the population gets offended over an insignificant issue and the majority has to suffer?

One day we are all going to wake up with every last freedom gone at the rate we are going. All in the spirit of fear of offending someone.

Mayor if you want to be in the papers and pretend like you're doing something good for DC, DO SOMETHING THAT BETTERS THE LIVES OF PEOPLE IN DC.

piggie

Postby Redskinsfansince81 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:07 am

cleg wrote:

LOL I thought it was a nickname for dogs.

Hog

Postby Burgundy&Wha? » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:19 am

I motion that we add one more option to the poll: "Rescind Home Rule for D.C."

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football