Free Agent Thread

Want to play GM? Think the Redskins should sign a free agent or trade for someone? Speculation / rumors / trade possibilities / fantasy football / mock drafts - Do it here!
DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:22 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:
Countertrey wrote:^ If you go with him, you'd might as well go to a wishbone, and surrender the passing game.

I'm only thinking in terms of backup. We also seem to get guys open. I hear ya, though.

W....T....F..... Have you heard of Kirk Cousins? Did you watch the Browns game? The can adapt the scheme from being innovative back to the scheme that the Texans run and that won SB's with Elway...

I'm talking about a backup FOR THE CAPTAIN. Rex is a complete non-threat in the pistol and in the bootleg scheme. It's the off-season and I'm throwing ideas out there. Jackson is available. He has serious limitations but is a scary runner. He could run pistol in camps while RGIII is rehabbing. Might be interesting.

I probably wasn't clear. Kirk is currently our starter in my way of looking at things. I'm sure he'll be taking first-team snaps for awhile.

Make a little more sense now?
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:08 pm

If I had a wish list...

I think Reggie Bush would be on it. Granted it wouldn't work for a few reasons, he's too expensive for us, he wouldn't want a reduced role. But imagining Reggie and RGIII on third down, it'd be glorious. Plus he'd be a great change of pace guy for Alfred. Getting Reggie out there in space on screens. Getting the defense flowing one way and tossing it back to him. Sounds great in my head. lol
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:03 pm

Let's pick up Michael Vick for Cousin's backup.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

{Awaits the explosion....5, 4, 3, 2...}

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:21 pm

HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:Let's pick up Michael Vick for Cousin's backup.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Of course, he (Vick) just re-signed.

Anyway, I'm thinking Jackson would come pretty cheap.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:55 pm

DarthMonk wrote:

We're not paying Rexy a lot of money are we?? I certainly hope not.

I hear what you're saying and we are talking about a 3rd string QB. If he's a better passer than Rex, I'd be alright with it. His running is pretty good, but how does his passing compare to Rex?

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:24 pm

HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:

I hear what you're saying and we are talking about a 3rd string QB. If he's a better passer than Rex, I'd be alright with it. His running is pretty good, but how does his passing compare to Rex?

I think they are probably equally adept at finding (and hitting) open linebackers but Tavaris would be the vastly superior runner.

Here is the Buffalo scouting report from a year ago:

Positives:
Extremely tough. Isn’t afraid to step up in the pocket in the face of pressure. Will extend plays by fighting through contact in the pocket, and keeps his eyes downfield on the run. Has an absolute canon for an arm. Can put the ball outside the numbers from the far hash, on deep outs and comebacks, with ease. Good loft on the bucket tosses, and displays good anticipation and location on the deep post. Good accuracy out to 30 yards when on the run to either side, and exhibits knack for being able to lead receivers nicely on crossing patterns when throwing on the move. Highly respected in the locker room, primarily for his ability and willingness to play through pain. You’ll never hear him complain. He played 8 games with a torn pectoral muscle last season, and lead SEA to a 5-3 record during that stretch. Doesn’t make a lot of bad throwing decisions in terms of trying to force the ball.

Negatives:
Locks onto his primary target too often. Holds the ball too long and lacks decisiveness on quick, timing plays (i.e. 3-step drops, slant routes, quick outs, etc.), often resulting in a pocket flush and unnecessary improvisation. Despite possessing athleticism and mobility to escape the pocket, he lacks a strong feel for pressure around him, and takes sacks too easily. Needs play action or shotgun to put together any kind of consistent passing rhythm, as these plays allow him to see the field better and buy more time. Slow through progressions, and can’t be counted on to consistently get the ball out on time when asked to lead his target. Will abandon footwork and mechanics under pressure, and too often throws off balance leading to a sail on the stick routes, or excessive loft and underthrow on vertical routes. Went into the 4th quarter of several games with a chance to win in 2011, but couldn’t finish with winning drives.

Summary:
There’s a lot to love about Tarvaris Jackson’s toughness, leadership and even-keeled approach to the QB position. He’s a great locker room guy, who’s sure to bring a respected veteran presence to the QB group and team as a whole. If called upon, he’ll need to rely heavily on the Buffalo run game to set up play-action, rollouts and bootlegs whereby he has ample time to scan the field and can utilize his mobility and accuracy on the move to make plays. He should also flourish in a shotgun system where he can keep his reads to one side of the field, and will rely heavily on TEs and slot WRs sitting down underneath in space. He started 14 games for Seattle in 2011, and was pretty badly injured for a good chunk of them, yet never made an excuse, and performed much better than he should have considering the torn pec was on his throwing side.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:28 pm

It would be good to have someone of that skill level running the read option for the scout team before playing the 9ers and the Seachickens...

But, I just don't see it.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:26 am

DarthMonk wrote:
HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:

I think they are probably equally adept at finding (and hitting) open linebackers but Tavaris would be the vastly superior runner.

Here is the Buffalo scouting report from a year ago:

Positives:
Extremely tough. Isn’t afraid to step up in the pocket in the face of pressure. Will extend plays by fighting through contact in the pocket, and keeps his eyes downfield on the run. Has an absolute canon for an arm. Can put the ball outside the numbers from the far hash, on deep outs and comebacks, with ease. Good loft on the bucket tosses, and displays good anticipation and location on the deep post. Good accuracy out to 30 yards when on the run to either side, and exhibits knack for being able to lead receivers nicely on crossing patterns when throwing on the move. Highly respected in the locker room, primarily for his ability and willingness to play through pain. You’ll never hear him complain. He played 8 games with a torn pectoral muscle last season, and lead SEA to a 5-3 record during that stretch. Doesn’t make a lot of bad throwing decisions in terms of trying to force the ball.

Negatives:
Locks onto his primary target too often. Holds the ball too long and lacks decisiveness on quick, timing plays (i.e. 3-step drops, slant routes, quick outs, etc.), often resulting in a pocket flush and unnecessary improvisation. Despite possessing athleticism and mobility to escape the pocket, he lacks a strong feel for pressure around him, and takes sacks too easily. Needs play action or shotgun to put together any kind of consistent passing rhythm, as these plays allow him to see the field better and buy more time. Slow through progressions, and can’t be counted on to consistently get the ball out on time when asked to lead his target. Will abandon footwork and mechanics under pressure, and too often throws off balance leading to a sail on the stick routes, or excessive loft and underthrow on vertical routes. Went into the 4th quarter of several games with a chance to win in 2011, but couldn’t finish with winning drives.

Summary:
There’s a lot to love about Tarvaris Jackson’s toughness, leadership and even-keeled approach to the QB position. He’s a great locker room guy, who’s sure to bring a respected veteran presence to the QB group and team as a whole. If called upon, he’ll need to rely heavily on the Buffalo run game to set up play-action, rollouts and bootlegs whereby he has ample time to scan the field and can utilize his mobility and accuracy on the move to make plays. He should also flourish in a shotgun system where he can keep his reads to one side of the field, and will rely heavily on TEs and slot WRs sitting down underneath in space. He started 14 games for Seattle in 2011, and was pretty badly injured for a good chunk of them, yet never made an excuse, and performed much better than he should have considering the torn pec was on his throwing side.

Tavaris Jackson? Why?

We already have two capable QBs. We have needs on defense that need to be addressed before we talk about our third string QB. Not to mention T Jackson sucks. Theres no other way to put it. He stinks. Why do you want a player who stinks on our team?
Sorry but this is a terrible idea.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:31 am

If any free agents are added it should be to the defensive side. With our current cap situation our F.O. should focus on replenishing the defensive side especially the secondary. Maybe even add another capable linebacker. Considering our offense had a great year and are only going to get better.

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:21 pm

HEROHAMO wrote:Tavaris Jackson? Why?

We already have two capable QBs. We have needs on defense that need to be addressed before we talk about our third string QB. Not to mention T Jackson sucks. Theres no other way to put it. He stinks. Why do you want a player who stinks on our team?
Sorry but this is a terrible idea.

I never said I wanted him. I simply asked if there were any chance we'd go after him. I list a ton of things that make him interesting.

I'll repeat a few:

Extremely tough.
Isn’t afraid to step up in the pocket in the face of pressure.
Will extend plays by fighting through contact in the pocket, and keeps his eyes downfield on the run.
Has an absolute canon for an arm.
Can put the ball outside the numbers from the far hash, on deep outs and comebacks, with ease.
Good loft on the bucket tosses, and displays good anticipation and location on the deep post.
Good accuracy out to 30 yards when on the run to either side, and exhibits knack for being able to lead receivers nicely on crossing patterns when throwing on the move.
Highly respected in the locker room, primarily for his ability and willingness to play through pain. You’ll never hear him complain.
He played 8 games with a torn pectoral muscle and led SEA to a 5-3 record during that stretch.
Doesn’t make a lot of bad throwing decisions in terms of trying to force the ball.
Tremedous runner who would likely excel in the pistol formation.
Free agent.
Likley cheap.

I have many negatives a few posts back.

I respect your final sentence. You think it's a terrible idea. Fair enough. I wish more people would weigh in.

Chillax. It's the off-season and the FA thread. I'd heard all the usual and came up with something different at a position where if Cousins goes down there is a chance our season goes down with him.

HEROHAMO wrote:With our current cap situation our F.O. should focus on replenishing the defensive side especially the secondary.

I don't think Rex is under contract so the Captain is our only healthy QB. We just paid Rex $925,000. I think we could sign Jackson for that - maybe less.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:33 am

Most people argue to bring in free agents who are talented but have off the field issues or would cost a lot. You are arguing for a 3rd string QB who has done nothing.

We are familiar with Tavaris. He was drafted by Dallas during the Dave Campo era. I watched him throw his first pass in the league. You dont have to describe his skill set to me.
He is not accurate at all throwing the ball. He can run a lil but thats it.

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:54 am

HEROHAMO wrote:Most people argue to bring in free agents who are talented but have off the field issues or would cost a lot. You are arguing for a 3rd string QB who has done nothing.

No, I'm not. Your posts on this matter indicate confusion. You seem to be be confusing a simple question on my part about what our F. O. might consider (along with some analysis on both sides) with an argument for making an acquisition.

Nowhere in any post do I say we should go after him.

DarthMonk wrote:Any chance we go after Tavaris Jackson as a cheap, talented, and fast backup who'd be dangerous in the pistol?

DarthMonk wrote:Positives:
Extremely tough., etc.

DarthMonk wrote:Negatives:
Locks onto his primary target too often., etc.

I know you think it's a terrible idea. That's great.

For the record, I doubt we will go after him but I think there is a chance. He clearly offers both upside and downside.

](*,)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:53 pm

All right bro my bad.

But whenever I hear Tavaris Jackson being on this team its a scary thought to me. Any mention of the thought gives me chills. :D

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:35 pm

HEROHAMO wrote:All right bro my bad.

But whenever I hear Tavaris Jackson being on this team its a scary thought to me. Any mention of the thought gives me chills. :D

I have to admit I liked playing against him more than that guy Webb.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:46 am

Offseason Questions: Will the Redskins re-sign Kory Lichtensteiger?

LINK

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Return to General Manager's Office