So any news on if the Redskins will get some cap space back?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

So any news on if the Redskins will get some cap space back?

Postby merrygrifthness » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:46 am

Shanny made it sound like they were getting back some.. and awhile back an insider for the WaPo said on radio that they will get most or all of it back but I haven't heard about it since.

What impact could this have if they do get it back? I think we should keep our safety's merriweather and jackson, maybe sign one in FA and draft a youngster.. hopefully jackson or merri pan out but we can't bank on it and need so other options.. but I think if they do pan out we'd be fine at safety and have good depth.

Hog

Postby andyjens89 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:24 pm

We could really use it. As it stands today, with penalty included, we are about $4 million over the cap. If we get $18 million back, we would be in great shape to sign a few players.

I assume they will restructure a few contracts (Hall, Moss, Trent, others) to get under anyways, and that would only help
XVII XXII XXVI

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:13 pm

I think we'll have a powerful team either way next year but if we had that space back. I'd suspect us signing 2-3 high end FAs and we'd be a serious SB threat.

I think we can still be one even with cap space penalty but we'd be more sure without it.

Hog

Postby Mississippi Hog » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:15 pm

If we do get the stolen cap space back, do we also get the $18 mil from last year to roll into this year? That would be SWEET!! Set us up with $32 million in space before redoing any contracts.

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:16 pm

Mississippi Hog wrote:If we do get the stolen cap space back, do we also get the $18 mil from last year to roll into this year? That would be SWEET!! Set us up with $32 million in space before redoing any contracts.

We could buy anyone we wanted :) ahhhhhhhh

Re: So any news on if the Redskins will get some cap space b

Postby yupchagee » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:38 pm

merrygrifthness wrote:Shanny made it sound like they were getting back some.. and awhile back an insider for the WaPo said on radio that they will get most or all of it back but I haven't heard about it since.

What impact could this have if they do get it back? I think we should keep our safety's merriweather and jackson, maybe sign one in FA and draft a youngster.. hopefully jackson or merri pan out but we can't bank on it and need so other options.. but I think if they do pan out we'd be fine at safety and have good depth.

Merriweather has durability issues. We can't depemd on him. Jackson won't be allowed contact with the team till at least late August. I don't see him helping this year.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Pushing Paper

Postby PulpExposure » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:42 pm

WaPo article today.

Seems salcap relief is highly unlikely.

Redskins officials have said they were caught off guard last year when they found out just before free agency that the NFL would hit the team with a $36 million salary cap cut over two years.

With the team set to absorb the second half of that penalty this year, Coach Mike Shanahan said after the 2012 season that the team does not consider the matter closed. But several people familiar with the case said in recent weeks that there is little to no chance, in their view, of the Redskins recouping any portion of their lost cap space.

“The cap penalty remains in place,” one said, speaking on the condition of anonymity because the Redskins have refused to comment publicly on the details of the case and what they consider unresolved.

At this point, if we get relief, I'm considering it an unexpected surprise. I hope the Skins are going into 2013 assuming that the penalty will remain in place.

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:24 pm

I am still entirely baffled by this. I've yet to hear a cogent argument as to why this is OK, why we can not figure out a way to get relief, how the figure of $36 million was derived, or, most importantly, why we didn't just ignore this for last year and this year and let the NFL prove the legitimacy of this move, in court, while we enjoyed our fairly maneuvered cap space. How in the world is the burden on us to prove a negative rather than on the league to affirmatively prove that a rule was broken?
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:31 pm

emoses14 wrote:I am still entirely baffled by this. I've yet to hear a cogent argument as to why this is OK, why we can not figure out a way to get relief, how the figure of $36 million was derived, or, most importantly, why we didn't just ignore this for last year and this year and let the NFL prove the legitimacy of this move, in court, while we enjoyed our fairly maneuvered cap space. How in the world is the burden on us to prove a negative rather than on the league to affirmatively prove that a rule was broken?

Because they can... This is the same unfair process that the players are subjected to but most everyone is fine with that....
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

#######

Postby The Hogster » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:50 pm

emoses14 wrote:I am still entirely baffled by this. I've yet to hear a cogent argument as to why this is OK, why we can not figure out a way to get relief, how the figure of $36 million was derived, or, most importantly, why we didn't just ignore this for last year and this year and let the NFL prove the legitimacy of this move, in court, while we enjoyed our fairly maneuvered cap space. How in the world is the burden on us to prove a negative rather than on the league to affirmatively prove that a rule was broken?

We couldn't do that because, per the CBA, the NFL has to approve all contracts. And, they wouldn't approve a contract that violated the salary cap (including the penalty).

Ironically, the NFL approved the 2010 contracts that didn't violate any rule or the non-existent salary cap that year--but turned around and used those approved contracts to dock us $36M.

Ridiculous.

So to answer your question, like CLL said, the NFL does whatever it wants because they can.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:19 pm

The Hogster wrote:

We couldn't do that because, per the CBA, the NFL has to approve all contracts. And, they wouldn't approve a contract that violated the salary cap (including the penalty).

Ironically, the NFL approved the 2010 contracts that didn't violate any rule or the non-existent salary cap that year--but turned around and used those approved contracts to dock us $36M.

Ridiculous.

So to answer your question, like CLL said, the NFL does whatever it wants because they can.

I almost broke my fingers getting ready to type this very point in response to your first paragraph, but alas you beat me to it. This is like Inception for morons, its non-sense within the non-sense within utter hypocrisy.

By the way, CLL, you and I agree on the way the NFL treats its, slaves, uhm, indentured servants, er, "players" when it comes to pretty much any matter as well and the manner in which a LOT of people seem to think it's perfectly fine.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:02 pm

there's very little the Redskins can do to get the cap space back ... but anyone that thinks the FO and management are not doing EVERYTHING they can to get that cap space back OR 'adjusted' is just STUPID

same goes for any fans that think we'll get last years $18m 'added' back on - are you CRAZY?

the NFL does what it wants and trying to make sense of some of the things that come out of that office is just NOT happening

that's just the way it is

to imply that a franchise or a couple of franchises can go against the NFL just because the fans don't like it, is just NOT happening either
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:04 pm

SkinsJock wrote:there's very little the Redskins can do to get the cap space back ... but anyone that thinks the FO and management are not doing EVERYTHING they can to get that cap space back OR 'adjusted' is just STUPID

same goes for any fans that think we'll get last years $18m 'added' back on - are you CRAZY?

the NFL does what it wants and trying to make sense of some of the things that come out of that office is just NOT happening

that's just the way it is

to imply that a franchise or a couple of franchises can go against the NFL just because the fans don't like it, is just NOT happening either

So pessimistic but so true :( We'll be alright though. I believe the players want to be there and will restructure.

However, in 2014 we'll be back in action.

I think we have what it takes to be a more than successful team this season; I think NFC East championship at is well in our grasp again. Seeing us beat Dallas twice this coming year will be better than a SB anyway :)

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:22 am

I still think we are going to sue. It should happen any time now, but maybe The Danny is waiting until the first day of FA to catch the NFL off guard like they did us.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:04 am

I agree that I 'sound' pessimistic but the reality is that the BS that the NFL office has been responsible for just does NOT make any sense ..

The most we can hope for is that they reduce or eliminate this year's 'fine' but I would not bank on anything like that ... the decision is in place

I also am VERY glad that we have guys in charge here that have done a really great job and will continue to do so ....

we are not in bad shape all things considered and I don't see any reason that the team will not be as good if not better this coming season

like the 'saying' goes ... we're in good hands with Bruce & Mike
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football