A.J. Smith expected to join Redskins front office as advisor

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

A.J. Smith expected to join Redskins front office as advisor

Postby 1niksder » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:35 am

Former Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith was in Indianapolis, though I never ran into him and he didn't return a call. He was in town to talk with three teams about jobs in their personnel department -- the Kansas City Chiefs due to a relationship with Andy Reid, the New England Patriots based on a relationship with Bill Belichick and the Washington Redskins, due to ties with General Manager Bruce Allen and owner Dan Snyder. Word is Smith will join the Redskins soon as an adviser/consultant in the personnel department. Smith's son, Kyle, is a scout for the Redskins. Smith has laid extremely low since being fired the day after the season. But he did have a preliminary interview with the Jacksonville Jaguars, which I'm told is the only GM job he coveted. He actually had three more job offers as well, but he was in Indianapolis to finalize something with the Chiefs, Patriots or Redskins.

LINK
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:58 am

I wonder who's idea this hire is? If it is Mike or Bruce's idea I'm fine with the hire. If this is Dan's idea, then it will be a train wreck.

If Mike hired him and AJ knows his place (below Mike on the personnel food chain) then it should help.

The Skins must have now hit a new record for an NFL team. They have to have the record for team executives with sons employed by the same team with the name Kyle. Also how many teams have ever had two former GMs on their payroll at the same time and neither has the final say on personnel decisions.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:11 am

thanks for the link 1niksder - always good to hear that we were the preferred choice ...

any help and assistance Bruce and Mike can get must worry a lot of other teams - especially those guys in NY :lol:

welcome to the NFC East A.J - looking forward to defending our title and becoming even more dominant .. :D
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Hog

Postby aswas71788 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:42 am

Wonderful. The Redskins have hired one half of a pair that took one of the most talented NFL teams and made them less than mediocre.

Well done.

Hog

Postby ACW » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:47 am

Double post :x
Last edited by ACW on Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

Hognostications 2012-2013 Co-Champion (and Playoff Champion)

Hog

Postby ACW » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:50 am

Though on second thought, a HECK of a drafter. IF that's all he does this could be a good thing.
DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

Hognostications 2012-2013 Co-Champion (and Playoff Champion)

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:07 pm

you guys could be right and I'm sure you're more in touch with this stuff than I am :D

A.J. Smith seemed to also be considered very favorably by Bill Belicheat and Andy Reid - unlike me, those 2 are REALLY in touch ... :twisted:

put another way - he's NOT coming here to 'DO' anything .. he's coming in to 'advise' Bruce and Mike

given that Bruce & Mike have done pretty well & that 2 other HCs that are amongst the best in the NFL, were after him - it's likely we're going to be better with this addition
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Hog

Postby aswas71788 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:53 pm

SkinsJock wrote:you guys could be right and I'm sure you're more in touch with this stuff than I am :D

A.J. Smith seemed to also be considered very favorably by Bill Belicheat and Andy Reid - unlike me, those 2 are REALLY in touch ... :twisted:

put another way - he's NOT coming here to 'DO' anything .. he's coming in to 'advise' Bruce and Mike

given that Bruce & Mike have done pretty well & that 2 other HCs that are amongst the best in the NFL, were after him - it's likely we're going to be better with this addition

Ask the Chargers fans about Smith. Be prepared to duck fast.

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:04 pm

aswas71788 wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:you guys could be right and I'm sure you're more in touch with this stuff than I am :D

Ask the Chargers fans about Smith. Be prepared to duck fast.

He's only here as an adviser, not a GM. There's a big difference.

Hog

Postby aswas71788 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:08 pm

I live in Palm Springs so we get lots of Chargers news. I am not a Chargers fan but do follow them, though not much. I only know what I read in the newspaper. Most Charger fans blame Smith for taking a Super Bowl contender and turning it into a mediocre team and for all of the issues that were there. There were lots. Norv Turner get the rest of the blame for not being a very good head coach. I just do not see that Smith brings anyting of value, even as an advisor.

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:29 pm

The only thing we don't know is what role Ownership played in the fall of the Chargers. They're a financially strapped team who's owners don't want to spend money. They're willing to let their better players walk and that was their biggest issue. Here in Los Angeles, there are a TON of angry Charger fans and most hope that if/when the team moves here, the team is sold to someone who'll spend money.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:51 pm

aswas71788 wrote:I live in Palm Springs so we get lots of Chargers news. I am not a Chargers fan but do follow them, though not much. I only know what I read in the newspaper. Most Charger fans blame Smith for taking a Super Bowl contender and turning it into a mediocre team and for all of the issues that were there. There were lots. Norv Turner get the rest of the blame for not being a very good head coach. I just do not see that Smith brings anyting of value, even as an advisor.

I blame Norv for turning Marty's team into also rans.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:13 am

aswas71788 wrote:I live in Palm Springs so we get lots of Chargers news. I am not a Chargers fan but do follow them, though not much. I only know what I read in the newspaper. Most Charger fans blame Smith for taking a Super Bowl contender and turning it into a mediocre team and for all of the issues that were there. There were lots. Norv Turner get the rest of the blame for not being a very good head coach. I just do not see that Smith brings anyting of value, even as an advisor.

thanks for your input - I disagree :lol:

NOBODY here sees Smith as anything more than a NFL guy that it seemed Andy Reid and Bill Beliicheat were looking to add to the mix ...

Smith decided to come here - do you not think that Bruce & Mike might have a better idea of what it takes than EVERY NFL fan west of NY state

PLUS

I could care less what ANY NFL fan thinks of Smith - I only care about the Redskins ..

IF Bruce and Mike think Smith can help them - i think that will be a really good thing :D

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:58 am

While I'm not the biggest proponent of the signing, I think those charger "fans" are a little off base. The 3 years before AJ, the team was 5-11, 8-8, and 4-12..... not exactly "super bowl contenders". The guy only had one losing season at 7-9 this year.

Now AJ has made some MAJOR mistakes over the years -- see Drew Brees, Schott, Norv --- so that is why I am indifferent to it.

Personally, I just don't understand why, when we already have MS and BA making FO decisions, we are bringing in ANOTHER FO guy.......

Seems like too many chiefs and not enough indians.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:55 pm

markshark84 wrote:

While I'm not the biggest proponent of the signing, I think those charger "fans" are a little off base. The 3 years before AJ, the team was 5-11, 8-8, and 4-12..... not exactly "super bowl contenders". The guy only had one losing season at 7-9 this year.

Now AJ has made some MAJOR mistakes over the years -- see Drew Brees, Schott, Norv --- so that is why I am indifferent to it.

Personally, I just don't understand why, when we already have MS and BA making FO decisions, we are bringing in ANOTHER FO guy.......

Seems like too many chiefs and not enough indians.

I'm sure he's here to give us another set of eyes for the draft and FA. Also, he may also here for a little intel with the court case we may or may not bring against the league. Who knows but I don't think it's going to hurt anything.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football