London Fletcher Plans to Play Next Season...

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog
User avatar
Posts: 760
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:57 am

SkinsJock wrote:I hope both Alexander and Fletcher are a part of the roster again this season

hopefully both will be paid very well as they are BOTH, VERY important pieces


Fingers crossed for this one...

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13126
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:03 am

HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:I hope both Alexander and Fletcher are a part of the roster again this season

hopefully both will be paid very well as they are BOTH, VERY important pieces


Fingers crossed for this one...


Fletcher is getting paid, if he decides to stay - Zo is a F/A and hopefully they find a way to keep him
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.”

|||||||
Posts: 4566
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:11 pm
Location: Somewhere, out there.

Postby UK Skins Fan » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:13 am

We need an upgrade on the play we got from London last year. Whether that upgrade is provided by London himself, or somebody else, THAT is the question.

I doubt that we could ever replace his leadership on defence, that's for sure.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13126
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:26 am

UK Skins Fan wrote:We need an upgrade on the play we got from London last year. Whether that upgrade is provided by London himself, or somebody else, THAT is the question.

I doubt that we could ever replace his leadership on defence, that's for sure.


good question - I hope we have the man back on the field - he's obviously lost a step but his leadership more than makes up for that

PLUS

I believe he had a nagging injury that hurt his play last season - I doubt that London will play if he cannot be more effective than he was
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.”

---
User avatar
Posts: 18570
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:26 am

UK Skins Fan wrote:We need an upgrade on the play we got from London last year. Whether that upgrade is provided by London himself, or somebody else, THAT is the question.

I doubt that we could ever replace his leadership on defence, that's for sure.


Upgrade the positions around London and he'll play better. We are NOT set at defensive line. IMO, we could use better NT and DE play. In addition, the safety play is atrocious. Improved play at that position will help London when he's in coverage.

In addition, improve line play will keep London clean and less nicked up.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13126
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:50 pm

^^ +1

We need a lot better play from our front 7 this season - while we need some help in our secondary - being able to bring pressure will help that area as well
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.”

|||||||
Posts: 4566
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:11 pm
Location: Somewhere, out there.

Postby UK Skins Fan » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:08 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
UK Skins Fan wrote:We need an upgrade on the play we got from London last year. Whether that upgrade is provided by London himself, or somebody else, THAT is the question.

I doubt that we could ever replace his leadership on defence, that's for sure.


Upgrade the positions around London and he'll play better. We are NOT set at defensive line. IMO, we could use better NT and DE play. In addition, the safety play is atrocious. Improved play at that position will help London when he's in coverage.

In addition, improve line play will keep London clean and less nicked up.

All true, but I think London's play slipped as well. Difficult for an amateur like me to isolate any possible decline in his own play from age, or injury, or from the weaknesses around him and to assess just how much he's slipped, but plenty of folks more knowledgeable than me have suggested that he wasn't the force that he was two years ago.

I wouldn't dare to say that he can't bounce back to somewhere close to his best, but right now I think his leadership is more valuable than his playing ability. No idea how you value that against the salary cap though!

For my part, I suspect I'll only realise just how valuable he was when he's gone.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

FanFromAnnapolis
Online
Posts: 11016
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:01 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby Irn-Bru » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:25 pm

DarthMonk wrote:Weird year. They put him on Sproles on opening day ... and other than 2 yard TD in prevent late ... he shut him down. Yet at other times something seemed wrong. Fletch had some undisclosed problems, no?

Great player. Signed the right contract last year. This should be it coming up and I expect his best.


I'll have to look it up, but I remember reading that the Skins led the league in opposing offenses throwing to tight ends. Part of that was our horrific safety play, but it was also attributable to Fletcher who very often covered TEs running down the middle of the field.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

---
User avatar
Posts: 18570
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:41 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:All true, but I think London's play slipped as well.


But what's slipped more? His play or the play of positions around him? IMO, it's the play of positions around him, ESPECIALLY safety.

While his missed tackles may be up over previous years, the glaring issue he had was in coverage. And most of that had to do with his lack of height, he was typically ALWAYS in the receivers pocket. Improved help from the safeties will help him.

If we could only improve one position on defense this year, who would you pick? I'd assume safety. That ONE position would improve the effectiveness of our LB and CB corps. They were THAT pathetic this year.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

08 Champ
Online
Posts: 13126
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:48 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:Weird year. They put him on Sproles on opening day ... and other than 2 yard TD in prevent late ... he shut him down. Yet at other times something seemed wrong. Fletch had some undisclosed problems, no?

Great player. Signed the right contract last year. This should be it coming up and I expect his best.


I'll have to look it up, but I remember reading that the Skins led the league in opposing offenses throwing to tight ends. Part of that was our horrific safety play, but it was also attributable to Fletcher who very often covered TEs running down the middle of the field.


we were also REALLY BAD against the pass ...

I'm not saying or thinking we're going to see Fletcher playing 'better' - I just think that our passing defense has to get better while still having Fletcher on the field

our secondary was an issue but we NEVER seemed to be able to apply any pressure without blitzing - we MUST fix this as well as 'upgrading' our secondary
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.”

---
User avatar
Posts: 18570
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:59 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:I'll have to look it up, but I remember reading that the Skins led the league in opposing offenses throwing to tight ends. Part of that was our horrific safety play, but it was also attributable to Fletcher who very often covered TEs running down the middle of the field.


If Fletcher is being left 1-1 against Jimmy Graham and these 6'5 TE's that's on Haslett... Fletch is 5'3 (exaggerating). I personally never saw Fletch get torched but more so give up catches due to his inability to overcome his height restriction. To me, that's not an athleticism issue.

If he's not being left 1-1 in those situations, I tend to put more blame on the safety that should be providing help over the top. But our safeties let everyone down this year.

But many have been blaming Hall, Wilson and everyone else for shoddy CB play when the safeties aren't providing them coverage either.

In addition to horrible ball skills, are safeties took poor angles and NEVER to my recollection separate a receiver from the ball.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

|||||||
Posts: 4566
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:11 pm
Location: Somewhere, out there.

Postby UK Skins Fan » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:10 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
UK Skins Fan wrote:All true, but I think London's play slipped as well.


But what's slipped more? His play or the play of positions around him? IMO, it's the play of positions around him, ESPECIALLY safety.

While his missed tackles may be up over previous years, the glaring issue he had was in coverage. And most of that had to do with his lack of height, he was typically ALWAYS in the receivers pocket. Improved help from the safeties will help him.

If we could only improve one position on defense this year, who would you pick? I'd assume safety. That ONE position would improve the effectiveness of our LB and CB corps. They were THAT pathetic this year.


Oh, I agree. The safety position totally undermined the whole defence last season. We won't have much of a clue how good or bad the rest of the defence is until we get something approaching NFL quality play from the safety positions.

I also recall London running pretty well with even the most athletic tight ends, but not being able to compete for the ball against people 6 to 8 inches taller than him.

I'm nowhere near ready to throw London under the bus - he's earned my trust in the fact that he won't go anywhere near a football field next year unless HE feels that he can do himself justice.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

---
User avatar
Posts: 18570
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:18 pm

UK Skins Fan wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:
UK Skins Fan wrote:All true, but I think London's play slipped as well.


But what's slipped more? His play or the play of positions around him? IMO, it's the play of positions around him, ESPECIALLY safety.

While his missed tackles may be up over previous years, the glaring issue he had was in coverage. And most of that had to do with his lack of height, he was typically ALWAYS in the receivers pocket. Improved help from the safeties will help him.

If we could only improve one position on defense this year, who would you pick? I'd assume safety. That ONE position would improve the effectiveness of our LB and CB corps. They were THAT pathetic this year.


Oh, I agree. The safety position totally undermined the whole defence last season. We won't have much of a clue how good or bad the rest of the defence is until we get something approaching NFL quality play from the safety positions.

I also recall London running pretty well with even the most athletic tight ends, but not being able to compete for the ball against people 6 to 8 inches taller than him.

I'm nowhere near ready to throw London under the bus - he's earned my trust in the fact that he won't go anywhere near a football field next year unless HE feels that he can do himself justice.


I totally agree.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

DarthMonk
Posts: 4275
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:58 pm

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:31 pm

Deadskins wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:Fletch had some undisclosed problems, no?

No. They were disclosed.


The one's you know all about were.

If any were undisclosed we wouldn't know.

:-k

8)

What was the nature of the "balance issue" which required all the testing.

Fletcher declined to say whether his current medical issue is connected to an undisclosed ailment that sidelined him for a few days during the preseason. At the time, Shanahan said Fletcher was "not feeling right," but neither he nor Fletcher has ever given any details.


Did this all come to light?

DarthMonk
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)


Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 760
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: Washington, DC

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:32 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:I hope both Alexander and Fletcher are a part of the roster again this season

hopefully both will be paid very well as they are BOTH, VERY important pieces


Fingers crossed for this one...


Fletcher is getting paid, if he decides to stay - Zo is a F/A and hopefully they find a way to keep him


I never understood why they didn't have him at any of the starting LB positions. I mean I understand with other key players NOT injured, but with so many injuries its so hard to believe that he wasn't a better option (at least as a backup). Not talking about Robinson's position fyi.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football