Where are you at on this whole team name change thing?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby gregory smith » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:27 pm

These days I'm a nervous wreck
Tryin to live my life so politically correct
Don't stand here
Don't smoke over there
Drink bottled water
Don't breathe the air KS

Political correctness is out of control.
DO NOT CHANGE THE NAME

Hog

Postby fredp45 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:18 pm

This President is so clueless -- why does he feel the need to enter into issues about the NFL???

Solve bigger issues man!

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:32 pm

Deadskins wrote:
Barack Obama told the AP that if he were the Redskins owner, he would "think about changing" the name because the moniker offends “a sizeable group of people.”

Yeah, white, PC nazi's who have nothing better to do. You would think the President has more pressing issues on his plate right now. :roll:

Yes, having more pressing issues on your plate clearly keeps a man from voicing an opinion on lesser one; says a man posting comments on a redskins message board.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:35 pm

rskin72 wrote:Not suprising to me as to where a fairly liberal democratic president falls on this subject. If I were the President, I would "think" about our national debt/deficit, and maybe getting a signed budget would be nice as well.

Some of the more major media sports outlets seem to be pushing this agenda....right or wrong....and I think it is wrong. I would say that the more the media latches onto this like a flea-bitten mutt latches onto a steakbone, then the more likely that eventually the owner may be compelled to change the name. Also, this is a politically correct era that we live in, and (right or wrong) it does not take a majority to be offended at any particular issue for change to occur/be forced upon us.

I wear, and have, a lot of Redskin-centric stuff.....This year, for the first time since I have been a fan, I have heard other folks comment about this subject outside of the DMV. Not a lot, but just the fact that it is now on some folks radar.

Obama is not a liberal. He's far too moderate for that. That being said, I don't give a crisp what he would do IF he owned the skins. He don't .
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:17 pm

I'm offended by the law that people riding bicycles must wear a safety helmet. Why in my day we didn't have safety helmets for a skate board or a bicycle. Helmets are for woosies.
So, I guess what I am really trying to say is, I have only met 3 full blood native Americans who preferred to be called American Indians by the way, they thought the name (REDSKINS) was far from demeaning.
So let us say that we do buckle under the pressure and change the name. Dan and the team and their fans (the people that don't care) charity,NFL money as far as loading the offered plate, meaningless jobs such as cleaning,cooking,taxes,OH MY!
I hope no one is offended but a full blooded American Indian told me and a friend "We take what we can get. If it means getting something back. The government stole from us so even a tiny victory is something to be proud of" This was what he told me was the motive. He told me even though he wasn't a football fan he felt it more an honor than an insult. He passed away a few years ago. I am sure his opinion of this now would be he thinks it is stupid. So he acknowledged that there might be some Native American that might be offended and want something for it.

I say keep the name unless it ever really becomes a problem. I would feel pushed around if I was owner and had to make a change.

Hog

Postby grampi » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:35 pm

Deadskins wrote:
Barack Obama told the AP that if he were the Redskins owner, he would "think about changing" the name because the moniker offends “a sizeable group of people.”

Yeah, white, PC nazi's who have nothing better to do. You would think the President has more pressing issues on his plate right now. :roll:

He does, but he's too inexperienced to be prez and he doesn't know how to handle the job, so he wastes his time on trivial things....I'd prefer he focusses his attention on the trivial things, look how he screwed up the healthcare system....

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:01 pm

I'm not one of these idiots who blames Obama for the deficit, screwing health care, etc. but damn this guy needs to stop sticking his nose in issues that have no relevance to the state of this country. Although I suspect he was asked a question and simply answered it and the sharks came to the chum to blow it out of proportion like usual.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:05 am

emoses14 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

Yes, having more pressing issues on your plate clearly keeps a man from voicing an opinion on lesser one; says a man posting comments on a redskins message board.

I don't get the analogy. :?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:09 am

Deadskins wrote:
emoses14 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

It's not really an analogy but I get it. It's more of a comment on irony.

I'll make it an analogy:

The President taking the time to comment on this issue when he has more pressing issues is like a poster posting about his comments when the poster most likely has more pressing issues himself - especially when the post refers to more pressing issues ...

... like -drinking
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:31 am

President Barack Obama conducted an interview Friday with AP White House Correspondent Julie Pace that covered a wide range of topics — the government shutdown, the debt ceiling, health care, foreign affairs and the name of Washington's professional football team.

Conducting such interviews is standard fare for sitting Presidents.

Q: If I could just ask you one last question on something that's not politically related, but is getting a lot of attention in Washington -- the name of the Washington Redskins football team. There is a lot of people who say it's time to change the name of that team, considering that it's insulting to many Native Americans. What's your position on that?

THE PRESIDENT: You know, Julie, obviously, people get pretty attached to team names, mascots. I don't think there are any Redskins fans that mean offense. I've got to say that if I were the owner of the team and I knew that there was a name of my team -- even if it had a storied history -- that was offending a sizeable group of people, I'd think about changing it.

But I don't want to detract from the wonderful Redskins fans that are here. They love their team, and rightly so -- even though they've been having a pretty tough time this year. But I think -- all these mascots and team names related to Native Americans, Native Americans feel pretty strongly about it. And I don't know whether our attachment to a particular name should override the real, legitimate concerns that people have about these things.

But I don't have -- I don't have a stake in this in the sense that I'm not a part owner of any football team. Maybe after I leave this --

Q: Maybe after the presidency.

THE PRESIDENT: Maybe after I leave the presidency. (Laughter.) I think it would be a lot of fun. Although, I'd probably play -- I'd probably look at a basketball team before I looked at a football team. I know more about basketball than I do about football.

Q: Get the Bulls ready.

THE PRESIDENT: Absolutely. I think they're going to be good this year.

Q: Thank you very much for sitting down with us today. I appreciate it.

THE PRESIDENT: Thank you so much. Great to talk to you, Julie.

Throw-away question at the end of a lengthy interview covering the government shutdown, the debt ceiling, health care, and foreign affairs with an answer containing "if" in front of both owning a team and knowing its name offended a sizeable group concluding with "I'd think about changing it."

So would I. Probably not for long, but so would I.

I'd probaly also take the 60 seconds required to answer the question. Might even fart later despite other pressing issues.

:mrgreen:

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:08 am

I for one, am offended by "Cracker Barrel" the restaurant.
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

**ch44

Postby chiefhog44 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:09 am

Just saw this.

Because the American Indian Counsel has requested that the NFL disassociate itself from Indian Names, the Washington Redskins have announced that they will change their name to the Washington Foreskins, in honor of all the dickheads in Washington DC , effective immediately.
Miss you 21

12/17/09 - Ding Dong the Witch is Dead...Which Old Witch? The Wicked Witch.

1/6/10 - The start of a new era

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:37 am

chiefhog44 wrote:Just saw this.

Because the American Indian Counsel has requested that the NFL disassociate itself from Indian Names, the Washington Redskins have announced that they will change their name to the Washington Foreskins, in honor of all the dickheads in Washington DC , effective immediately.

Circumcisions loom.

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby rskin72 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:20 pm

emoses14 wrote:
rskin72 wrote:Not suprising to me as to where a fairly liberal democratic president falls on this subject. If I were the President, I would "think" about our national debt/deficit, and maybe getting a signed budget would be nice as well.

Some of the more major media sports outlets seem to be pushing this agenda....right or wrong....and I think it is wrong. I would say that the more the media latches onto this like a flea-bitten mutt latches onto a steakbone, then the more likely that eventually the owner may be compelled to change the name. Also, this is a politically correct era that we live in, and (right or wrong) it does not take a majority to be offended at any particular issue for change to occur/be forced upon us.

I wear, and have, a lot of Redskin-centric stuff.....This year, for the first time since I have been a fan, I have heard other folks comment about this subject outside of the DMV. Not a lot, but just the fact that it is now on some folks radar.

Obama is not a liberal. He's far too moderate for that. That being said, I don't give a crisp what he would do IF he owned the skins. He don't .

While we could debate the Obama comment, sure we would both rather just talk Redskins football. I agree with your last thought, however !! :D
A winning effort begins with preparation.
Failures are expected by losers, ignored by winners.

Quotes by Joe Gibbs

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:41 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
emoses14 wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

It's not really an analogy but I get it.

I got it too, but I was saying that posting on THN is the most pressing issue on my plate. It kind of spoils the joke to have to explain it. :roll:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football