RGIII Cleared to Practice - No PUP

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
#######

RGIII Cleared to Practice - No PUP

Postby The Hogster » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:03 pm

RGIII himself tweeted that he has been "cleared to practice" in advance of training camp. According, to he and reports, he will be eased into full team drills, but will participate fully in 7 on 7 and other drills.

Although Griffin was injured in January, a few weeks after Peterson suffered his injury, he is being cleared to practice at the start of camp--something that Peterson did not do. These injuries shouldn't be compared in my view, but they will be, so this is likely the first benchmark that people will focus on (kinda like I just did).

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1712117-rg3-injury-update-robert-griffin-iii-announces-hes-cleared-for-practice

Washington Redskins star quarterback Robert Griffin III has announced that he's been cleared for practice.

Griffin took to Twitter to break the news himself on Monday, thanking fans for their support and alluding to the team's impending training camp in Richmond:

The Washington Post's Mike Jones and 106.7 The Fan's Grant Paulsen provided additional updates on the Redskins quarterback's status:

In revealing the encouraging development in his rehabilitation process, the signal-caller did note that head coach Mike Shanahan would ease him onto the field.

That makes sense, considering Shanahan was at the center of controversy in leaving a banged-up Griffin in the game during this past year's postseason home contest against the Seattle Seahawks.

The No. 2 overall pick in the 2012 draft was clearly hobbled early on when the Redskins took a 14-0 lead and eventually left the game with a devastating knee injury.

The NFC East division champions wound up walking off their own FedExField with a 24-14 loss in the Wild Card Round.

After completely tearing his ACL and LCL, requiring offseason surgery and an estimated recovery time of six to eight months, it appears Griffin is right on schedule with regard to the time frame.

His bold advertisement with Adidas entitled "All in for Week 1" is proving to be prophetic in light of this news.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:07 pm

Hail to the Redskins

ATX

Postby ATX_Skins » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:10 pm

Great, now Dr. Shanahan has to clear him to actually practice.

"We talkin bout practice"
Support the troops, especially our snipers.

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:30 pm

get the PUP outta here!!!!

:lol:
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally

---

Re: RGIII Cleared to Practice - No PUP

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:37 pm

The Hogster wrote:Although Griffin was injured in January, a few weeks after Peterson suffered his injury, he is being cleared to practice at the start of camp--something that Peterson did not do. These injuries shouldn't be compared in my view, but they will be, so this is likely the first benchmark that people will focus on (kinda like I just did).

I agree. Like I said before, I don't think he shredded that ACL. It was worked on but to what degree, nobody really knows.

langleyparkjoe wrote:get the PUP outta here!!!!

:lol:

well played
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

cappster

Postby Cappster » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:30 pm

This is not a real surprising development. The man was running all out sprint and cut drills over the latter parts of the offseason. I still hope they take precaution, but if he has a green light from the doctor, he needs to be getting reps in preparation for week 1 for which he will most likely start.
Sapphire AMD Radeon 6870, FTW!

Hog Bowl II Champion (2010)

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:22 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:Like I said before, I don't think he shredded that ACL. It was worked on but to what degree, nobody really knows.

Dr. Andrews probably knows. :wink:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby Burgundy&Wha? » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:09 pm

Deadskins wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:Like I said before, I don't think he shredded that ACL. It was worked on but to what degree, nobody really knows.

Dr. Andrews probably knows. :wink:

Dr. Andrews doesn't know more than some opposition sports writer or random internet poster! :roll:

P.S. Not poking at you, Chris. Tired of the Priscos and such...

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:11 pm

Mike and Kyle will have a plan that has RG3 ready to take the field as the QB in week 1 - he will not be pushed and he will not be exposed any more than need be

RG3 will be ready to help this offense in week 1 but there will be a lot more opportunities for the other QBs to get plays behind center, with the #1 offense, than would normally be the case

this kid has already shown that he's a WHOLE LOT smarter than most QBs coming out of college - this kid was born and raised to do whatever it takes to be VERY successful
Hail to the Redskins

#######

Postby The Hogster » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:17 pm

If I had my way, I would do exactly what the Skins are doing. But, I'd do it for the entire Camp/Pre Season for two reasons.

First, there is nothing gained to push RGIII back out there too soon on his knee. Give him the extra 2 months to heal while working on chemistry with the team through the 7 on 7 drills and easing back into the full team stuff gradually in practice, but not in the pre season games.

Second, this is valuable time to not only give Cousins more experience (valuable experience that could prove vital if he has to play this year for some reason) but it gives him more of an opportunity to increase his trade value. He's already been ranked by one sports writer as the "best backup" QB in the NFL right now. If he has more of an opportunity to showcase his skills, this could wind up netting us more in trade value IF and when we decide to do so.

There is nothing to be gained by puttin RGIII out there in the preseason, except getting the fans excited to see him. He already has and will continue to develop chemistry with the guys we have.

The only newcomers to this offense at the skill positions are Jordan Reed & Chris Thompson (both rookies) who hopefully will be used in such a way that we don't need them to spend an entire summer together.

Welcome back RGIII
SPIT HAPPENS!!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:33 pm

The Hogster wrote:If I had my way, I would do exactly what the Skins are doing. But, I'd do it for the entire Camp/Pre Season for two reasons.

First, there is nothing gained to push RGIII back out there too soon on his knee. Give him the extra 2 months to heal while working on chemistry with the team through the 7 on 7 drills and easing back into the full team stuff gradually in practice, but not in the pre season games.

Second, this is valuable time to not only give Cousins more experience (valuable experience that could prove vital if he has to play this year for some reason) but it gives him more of an opportunity to increase his trade value. He's already been ranked by one sports writer as the "best backup" QB in the NFL right now. If he has more of an opportunity to showcase his skills, this could wind up netting us more in trade value IF and when we decide to do so.

There is nothing to be gained by puttin RGIII out there in the preseason, except getting the fans excited to see him. He already has and will continue to develop chemistry with the guys we have.

The only newcomers to this offense at the skill positions are Jordan Reed & Chris Thompson (both rookies) who hopefully will be used in such a way that we don't need them to spend an entire summer together.

Welcome back RGIII

+1 - absolutely - RG3 does not need the reps - he'll be fine - let Cousins show his stuff - I doubt we're trading Cousins for a while though
Hail to the Redskins

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:16 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
+1 - absolutely - RG3 does not need the reps - he'll be fine - let Cousins show his stuff - I doubt we're trading Cousins for a while though

Untrue. For Griff to become the dominant force that we know he can be, he absolutely needs the reps. Last season, much of the offense was designed to minimize his exposure to his RELATIVE weakness as a pocket passer. Training camp... and those reps... will be needed to turn that into a strength.

At some point, he will become a world class pocket passer... with the ability to run read option like nobody else.

He needs the reps... the team just needs to ensure that he does not get into unceccessary contact.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:39 pm

Countertrey wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:

Untrue. For Griff to become the dominant force that we know he can be, he absolutely needs the reps. Last season, much of the offense was designed to minimize his exposure to his RELATIVE weakness as a pocket passer. Training camp... and those reps... will be needed to turn that into a strength.

At some point, he will become a world class pocket passer... with the ability to run read option like nobody else.

He needs the reps... the team just needs to ensure that he does not get into unceccessary contact.

I'd have to agree with CT. He needs reps.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

#######

Postby The Hogster » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:43 pm

I agree that he needs reps, just not all of them. In a perfect world, he takes every snap. But, coming off a torn ACL, LCL & repaired meniscus, we aren't in a perfect world. I look at it this way, if he suffers a setback of any kind, he will be OUT getting zero reps. Having a guy like Kirk Cousins there is a luxury affording us the chance to be more prudent in the pre season games.

Remember, in Pre Season games, the starters play maybe 2-3 series the first game. 2 Quarters the second game. A Half the 3rd game. And none the fourth.

RGIII will be running the plays in practice. But, contact is not controlled in the pre season games. Why put him out there with Neanderthals trying to make another team when you can't control who rolls up on, hits, hangs on etc.

It's not about the game experience at this point. He showed what he could do as a rookie with no NFL experience. In my view, the risk reward tilts in favor of giving Kirk Cousins the bulk of the live ammo action.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:32 pm

I think we're all on the same page here - RG3 needs reps but it's different in that this is not just any QB - this is a VERY gifted, VERY bright and mentally and physically superb athlete

RG3 will get enough reps to be absolutely in sync .. the big plus is Cousins is going to get the reps that he NEEDS too

and mike will have all the deception and intrigue he can get for that first monday night opener

nobody needs to worry about RG3 - he will be ready to play and in full sync with both his coaches and his players - this is not Eli Manning, this is one of the BEST QBs to play in the NFL and he's just beginning his reign

watch and enjoy - TC is about to begin and it's NOT about whether RG3 is able to be successful or not .... :D
Hail to the Redskins

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football