Problem at LB?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
---

Problem at LB?

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:47 pm

Yes, we have a problem at LB. How do we play them all?

Kerrigan - Probowler
Orakpo - Probowler
Fletch - Probowler
Riley - A bit underrated, he's been playing really well for us.
Jackson - Great pass defender

How do we get them all on the field at once? What are your ideas? Bench Riley on obvious passing downs? Fletch is our weakest link in pass coverage, but can you really sit him down?
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

piglet

Postby rg3togarcon » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:04 pm

Not to mention Daryl Tapp who was a little overrated but now will be underrated and used periodically in our scheme. Jenkins is gonna be a beast with his speed. We are deeper than people give us credit for. We just need to start focusing this offseason on Fletchs replacement. Maybe the kid from BYU. I hear he is legit.
Gone but not forgotten #21...forever in our hearts Sean Taylor

Hog

Postby Burgundy&Wha? » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:12 pm

Shanny & Co. really have reshaped this roster. A far cry from Vinny, isn't it?

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:26 pm

Burgundy&Wha? wrote:Shanny & Company really have reshaped this roster. A far cry from Vinny, isn't it?

you're partly right on both counts - Mike and the whole staff have done an incredible turnaround here and found so many players that fit what they wanted to have here
Having a FO with a plan was key but finding the staff to find the players and coaches that fit that plan was key too

Vinny Cerrato was not even the main reason for what happened and the problems this franchise had over so many years, he was just a part of it
there was no plan, NONE - PLUS, there was zero accountability

many here were saying that it could all be turned around if we just could get the right people in place to change the way things were done here, from top to bottom

I'm looking forward to these guys continuing to improve this franchise .... :D

having depth like we have at LB, in such a short amount of time, is just another example of how great so many of these acquisitions have been
Having good LBs is a major PLUS for any defense
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:35 pm

SkinsJock wrote:having depth like we have at LB, in such a short amount of time, is just another example of how great so many of these acquisitions have been

Not to disagree with your main point, but Shanahan only brought in one of those players, the rest were Vinny. :oops:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:38 pm

Deadskins wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:having depth like we have at LB, in such a short amount of time, is just another example of how great so many of these acquisitions have been

Not to disagree with your main point, but Shanahan only brought in one of those players, the rest were Vinny. :oops:

no worries - Cerrato was brought in because of what he had done - most here know Cerrato was NOT the ONLY reason we were in the mess we were in

it just took a good FO, WITH A PLAN to know who to keep and what to throw away :wink:
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:22 pm

... it gets worse... you forgot Robinson, whom many think can be a pretty good one...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby ACW » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:47 am

A good problem to have :D
DMV Born,
DMV Bred,
When I Die I'll Be
DMV Dead.

Hognostications 2012-2013 Co-Champion (and Playoff Champion)

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:13 am

Countertrey wrote:... it gets worse... you forgot Robinson, whom many think can be a pretty good one...

True, but I only mentioned guys that I could recall at the moment. Robinson got hurt last year, right? I'm losing track.

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:05 am

Deadskins wrote:

Orakpo was a Vinny pick, but Vinny really never had a problem with the first round picks (it was the rest of the picks he had no clue about).

Rob Jackson was a DE drafted in the seventh round by Vinny and Shanny turned him into Monte Coleman 2.0

Fletcher was a Gregg (cut the head off of the snake) Williams decision. London followed GW from Baffalo when he had a chance to leave the Bills.

So yes, three of the LBs were here during Vinny, but I give hime no credit for London, Orakpo was a Captian Obvious pick, and Rob Jackson was just a blind squirrel getting a nut.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:10 am

We'll need the depth. You can't plan ahead for who will get injured, but it's a pretty good bet that those 5 guys will not be available for 100% of the season.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:15 am

Deadskins wrote:

I credit Mike for realizing the worth of these players. This team was gutted to the extreme but these guys remained and every one of them have produced in huge ways for us.

I can't think of a single player who was cut that really made an impact somewhere else. The only player that comes to mind is Carlos but that was mutual and he didn't really want to be here. But fine, count him. That's 1 out of 30+ players? Or are my numbers off?

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:44 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
Deadskins wrote:

I credit Mike for realizing the worth of these players. This team was gutted to the extreme but these guys remained and every one of them have produced in huge ways for us.

I can't think of a single player who was cut that really made an impact somewhere else. The only player that comes to mind is Carlos but that was mutual and he didn't really want to be here. But fine, count him. That's 1 out of 30+ players? Or are my numbers off?

I think Laron could be argued to be like a .5, so 1.5, I guess. Other than that, I'm having a real hard time coming up with anyone. Which (and this is your point) goes to show the real value of Shanahan's tenure. I have said it like 2x, you've about 100, the (necessary and vital) change in the team was obvious before Griffin got here if you looked at anything other than Ws and Ls.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:55 am

emoses14 wrote:I think Laron could be argued to be like a .5, so 1.5, I guess. Other than that, I'm having a real hard time coming up with anyone. Which (and this is your point) goes to show the real value of Shanahan's tenure. I have said it like 2x, you've about 100, the (necessary and vital) change in the team was obvious before Griffin got here if you looked at anything other than Ws and Ls.

I understand the teams hesitancy to resign him. Laron made the probowl last year, I'm happy for him. He just signed a 4 year deal with the Colts. I think Mike realized Laron's value, but the injury scared them off. That's understandable. The other thing is, could we have afforded to resign Laron with our cap penalties...

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:48 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
emoses14 wrote:I think Laron could be argued to be like a .5, so 1.5, I guess. Other than that, I'm having a real hard time coming up with anyone. Which (and this is your point) goes to show the real value of Shanahan's tenure. I have said it like 2x, you've about 100, the (necessary and vital) change in the team was obvious before Griffin got here if you looked at anything other than Ws and Ls.

I understand the teams hesitancy to resign him. Laron made the probowl last year, I'm happy for him. He just signed a 4 year deal with the Colts. I think Mike realized Laron's value, but the injury scared them off. That's understandable. The other thing is, could we have afforded to resign Laron with our cap penalties...

You and me both. I was happy to see him walk for reasons you already covered. Also happy to see him do "well" last year. And I think it isn't an issue of affording him (in light of the cap theft), but rather of having assessed the cost benefit of signing him and his injury, they decided "no" on signing him.

in fact, the only move of Shanahan's that I don't 100% agree with (in hindsight, though) is Donovan. And by that, I mean bringing him in the first place. I agree with how he was handled after that.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football