Eagles' Jeremy Maclin injured?

Talk about the AFC, NFC, the NFL Draft, College Football... anything football that has no Washington Redskin relevance.
---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:52 am

Deadskins wrote:
1niksder wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:I feel bad for the guy. Seems to be a team-guy and a decent person. At the end of the day, this is a person dream and livelihood.

I agree, though, he's probably made more money already in his short career, than many will make their entire lives. So I wouldn't really concern yourself as much about his livelihood.

I don't think it matters if he's made more money than whomever, it's irrelevant to me.

The point is, his livelihood is not in danger, as long as he's not stupid with his money.

He's on the last year of his rookie contract (aka this is his "contract year"), so the BIG money will/would be in his next contract... but coming off this ACL injury the money might not be as big as he had been looking forward to.

Yes, but he was a first rounder in 2009, before the rookie wage scale, so he's still done pretty well already.

Lemme guess, you're one of these people that think athletes make too much money to play a child's game? If so, those sentiments have always kinda reeked of jealously to me. The sentiment of sympathy was expressed because such an injury could prevent him from achieving his goals and aspirations. Nobody is even thinking about the money.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:31 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
1niksder wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
Chris Luva Luva wrote:I feel bad for the guy. Seems to be a team-guy and a decent person. At the end of the day, this is a person dream and livelihood.

I agree, though, he's probably made more money already in his short career, than many will make their entire lives. So I wouldn't really concern yourself as much about his livelihood.

I don't think it matters if he's made more money than whomever, it's irrelevant to me.

The point is, his livelihood is not in danger, as long as he's not stupid with his money.

He's on the last year of his rookie contract (aka this is his "contract year"), so the BIG money will/would be in his next contract... but coming off this ACL injury the money might not be as big as he had been looking forward to.

Yes, but he was a first rounder in 2009, before the rookie wage scale, so he's still done pretty well already.

Lemme guess, you're one of these people that think athletes make too much money to play a child's game? If so, those sentiments have always kinda reeked of jealously to me. The sentiment of sympathy was expressed because such an injury could prevent him from achieving his goals and aspirations. Nobody is even thinking about the money.

No, but that's what the word "livelihood" means, and you were the one who used it. My point was that he has already made enough money to set him up for life, and there are plenty of jobs that don't require you to be able to catch a football.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:02 pm

I agree that it's a little strange to feel really bad for him. I mean, sure, it's bad luck that this happened to him at this point in the season and right before he hits the FA market. But he's still really well off compared to 90% of NFL players and 99.99% of non-NFL players. The average NFL career is probably still in the 4-year range or so. He's already beat that and is very likely to have another few productive years at least. He's the team's #2 wideout and has been to the playoffs. The guy has undoubtedly worked hard to be where he is but has also gotten a lot of opportunities that others don't get. In context, this injury isn't that big of a tragedy.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Return to Around the League