Steelers vs. Redskins: Game Day Thread

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

Postby yupchagee » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:11 pm

Countertrey wrote:
Burgundy&Wha? wrote:Chase Minnefield is going to be around for a while.
I was just thinking, other than biting on that stutter move (from which he recovered nicely, btw), just very solid cornerback play. He will be outstanding in run support, as well.

Think we keep 6CB's?
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Hog

Postby Burgundy&Wha? » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:19 pm

yupchagee wrote:
Countertrey wrote:
I was just thinking, other than biting on that stutter move (from which he recovered nicely, btw), just very solid cornerback play. He will be outstanding in run support, as well.

Think we keep 6CB's?

Maybe, if Crawford is the PR.

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:34 pm

Countertrey wrote:

There will be growing pains but, thanks to our new scouting; we have something to look forward to.

We are younger and getting better.

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:25 am

I can't imagine there is much cause for a post game thread to a pre season game, so I'll post this (these) thought(s) here.

1. Penalties - 7 penalties (3 personal fouls) for 72 yards. Most concerned about Polumbus holding in second quarter. I was shocked at the first PF on . . . London Fletcher!?, so much so that I laughed it off saying "well, we won't see that again". Another PF was the ridiculous helmet to helmet on Biggers or pugh or some db (can't recall). Again, I thought was a BS call, too, not worried. So, in my fuzzy math, we had 5 real penalties for 42 yards. Yeah, I'm not losing sleep.

2. Turnovers-4; 2 by Grossman. He won't play and we come to expect that from Rex (though 1 was on Reed, to be fair). Chris Thompson's fumble bothers me because I want him to make the team and play. Pat White won't even be here in 3 weeks (I too wanted him to make it as a something, but not sure that is gonna happen).

3. Defense: Holy ;furious; I thought our boys looked good on that side of the ball!
My biggest concern is Rambo and his sometimes Ole tackling style, but for now I'm chalking that up to his being a rookie and not too concerned about seeing that in the preseason, so Long as I don't see it on September 9th and later.

Cofield is amazing and I think he is gonna blow the doors off the league this year. Talk about collapsing the pocket in the QB's face all night, and Big Ben is no slouch at dealing with guys in his face, either.

Kerrigan looks great, no surprise there. I think this will be a special year for him, particularly because of. . . Jenkins, who looks incredibly promising especially rushing from behind Kerrigan giving that side of the OL a headache. Tapp looked good too. All of this, mind you, without Orakpo even playing.

Minnified and Amerson are going to be pushing Hall and Wilson by the bye for minutes, I believe. I love their style of play so far, nevermind bumps and bruises from each as a young guy.

All in all, I think and hope, but mostly think there is going to be a surprising product on the field on September 9. One that the Eagles are just not going to be prepared for.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:37 am

emoses14 wrote:Kerrigan looks great, no surprise there. I think this will be a special year for him, particularly because of. . . Jenkins, who looks incredibly promising especially rushing from behind Kerrigan giving that side of the OL a headache.

Too bad Jenkins has to serve a four game suspension. It'd be nice to have him for those early games.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:43 am

Deadskins wrote:
emoses14 wrote:Kerrigan looks great, no surprise there. I think this will be a special year for him, particularly because of. . . Jenkins, who looks incredibly promising especially rushing from behind Kerrigan giving that side of the OL a headache.

Too bad Jenkins has to serve a four game suspension. It'd be nice to have him for those early games.

Shoot. I should have been more clear. I meant Brandon Jenkins, #97, the rookie. Not Jarvis Jenkins. They put Kerrigan on the ground and rushed Brandon Jenkins from behind a few times last night and I thought it looked good.

Although now that I think of it, Jarvis, Kerrigan and Brandon all rushing from the same side is a nightmare too.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:42 am

emoses14 wrote:All in all, I think and hope, but mostly think there is going to be a surprising product on the field on September 9. One that the Eagles are just not going to be prepared for.

Great summary of the game; I pretty much share your view. I'm very encouraged by our CB situation, especially when compared to last year. Our LB depth quality was reassuring.

Safeties . . . well, I'm still nervous about that. Losing Phillip Thomas was a big blow. Merriweather has got to stay healthy this year.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby oneman56 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:53 am

Irn-Bru wrote:
emoses14 wrote:All in all, I think and hope, but mostly think there is going to be a surprising product on the field on September 9. One that the Eagles are just not going to be prepared for.

Great summary of the game; I pretty much share your view. I'm very encouraged by our CB situation, especially when compared to last year. Our LB depth quality was reassuring.

Safeties . . . well, I'm still nervous about that. Losing Phillip Thomas was a big blow. Merriweather has got to stay healthy this year.

I also agree with the assessment and really hope Cofield doesn't have to be in a cast for too long, he was just a beast last night. CB's looked good, pass rush looked good and overall the D was very stout. I'm still concerned about the obvious issues, ones that were there last year, and those are RT (Polumbus) and FS (Rambo). I've yet to see Rambo really make a play where he broke up a pass play and his open field tackling so far has not been too good. Kudo's for the forced fumble he caused but still a big question mark. I hope Buffalo throws the ball a lot next week and we get a chance to see Rambo and whoever else might get FS minutes (hopefully not Gomes, i don't think he should be on this team) make some plays.

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:20 am

From John Keim's observations from the game

5. Safety Bacarri Rambo continues to have issues with angles in the open field. Probably a lot of that has to do with being a rookie and adapting to the speed of the game. That’s a valid excuse. But if the Redskins are going to start him, then they need him to clean this up in a hurry. They are probably happy that Steelers safety Ryan Clark sought out Rambo after the game, wanting to offer some coaching tips on playing safety. They chatted only a couple seconds, but he said Clark told him to “try to close space as much as possible. Don’t run in front of the ballcarrier, stay inside him and force him outside and take a good shot.” That’s exactly what Rambo didn’t do on one cut by Jonathan Dwyer. Rambo went to his outside hip, allowing an easy cutback. This is what the preseason is for, especially for rookies. But Rambo knows his play must improve. The pep talk from Clark helped. “I look up to him; he’s one of the better safeties in the league,” Rambo said.

:shock:

-Santana Moss on Our QB

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:35 am

emoses14 wrote:From John Keim's observations from the game

5. Safety Bacarri Rambo continues to have issues with angles in the open field. Probably a lot of that has to do with being a rookie and adapting to the speed of the game. That’s a valid excuse. But if the Redskins are going to start him, then they need him to clean this up in a hurry. They are probably happy that Steelers safety Ryan Clark sought out Rambo after the game, wanting to offer some coaching tips on playing safety. They chatted only a couple seconds, but he said Clark told him to “try to close space as much as possible. Don’t run in front of the ballcarrier, stay inside him and force him outside and take a good shot.” That’s exactly what Rambo didn’t do on one cut by Jonathan Dwyer. Rambo went to his outside hip, allowing an easy cutback. This is what the preseason is for, especially for rookies. But Rambo knows his play must improve. The pep talk from Clark helped. “I look up to him; he’s one of the better safeties in the league,” Rambo said.

:shock:

Wow, that's cool. Sounds like Clark still likes the organization.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:43 am

I still like Ryan Clark. His getting away was probably a worse personnel move than the entire Haynesworth debacle.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:46 am

Irn-Bru wrote:I still like Ryan Clark. His getting away was probably a worse personnel move than the entire Haynesworth debacle.

Yep. He's the one I was always the most bothered by.

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:05 pm

I know what the injuries between Robinson & Hankerson are, but has there been word on how serious they are?

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football