Redskins against the Hurry Up offense

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

Postby yupchagee » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:03 pm

I see another advantage we should have is with the decision maker on the field. They have Vick, we have Fletcher.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:42 pm

welch wrote:
Countertrey wrote:
welch wrote:How is the Eagles hurry-up offense different than the one Richie Petibon stopped in SB 26?

Not that it will change the outcome... I think they will handle the Eagles, as long as they can slow down shady.

Ah, Richie...if only...

I remember that Petibon prepared against the Redskins offense. Gibbs installed the hurry-up, saying that the players, especially the re-fashioned Hogs, were so experienced and so smart that he could install any offense in a week.

Then Petibon practiced getting his player changes.

In the game, Petibon was mixing his defense just as usual, and Gibbs even ran the hurry-up a few times...and baffled the all-star Buffalo defense.

sorry welch - that was then ... it was a great defense ... but ..

Kelly is trying to run a very different type of offense ... we just have a much quicker defense in place here now - even quicker (not better) than those days :wink:

AND

Vick is not the QB he used to be and he's not had much success against us recently
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:06 pm

^^ football has changed less than we often think.

=;
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:37 pm

I think Petibon's idea would work again. By the way, no defense had tried Petibon's "make our own changes quicker" against the Bills hurry-up.

As best I remember:

(1) Gibbs installed the hurry-up

(2) Gibbs and Petibon took a stop-watch, figured out how much time the defense had to make their package changes

(3) Defense ("The National Defense") practiced making changes within that time limit

(4) Redskins offense and defense practiced until the offense was as good as Buffalo at the no-huddle and the defense was fast enough to make the changes Petibon called.

The principle seems sound.

Postby yupchagee » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:29 pm

DarthMonk wrote:^^ football has changed less than we often think.

=;

+1
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:56 pm

One more principle from Petibon:

- The no-huddle is a primitive offense.
- It has worked because defenses have not had the time to make personel changes and changes of defensive plays.
- If we can make our normal adjustments we can turn the game into a primitive offense against a complex defense.

And the Redskins did.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:33 pm

:lol: we shall see ... :lol:
RG3 is now learning how to play QB in the NFL - Mike & Kyle did not help with the transition

Jay & Sean are going to make it happen ... "He has the ability and the desire, he just has to do it.” - J Gruden

Postby ZoneRead » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:56 am

I'm not sure if anyone else mentioned the article in the USA Today about the Redskins "swift" defensive package.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... k/2726901/[/url]

I'm very excited about this.

-----------

Re: Redskins against the Hurry Up offense

Postby Smithian » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:53 am

SKINS#1 wrote:I have read how the Eagles are improving with the hurry up offense with elapse time between plays in the 10-12 sec range. How do you think the defense will adapt to a faster pace, especially in 4th quarter?

I think this could cause problems for many teams as substitution could be limited.
I forget which game it was, but one game this preseason the NFL already told Chip Kelly he won't be able to run his offense at the pace he ran it at Oregon. They won't set the ball that fast. It will be closer to 15-18 seconds than 10-12. Still very, very fast but still a noticeable difference. Also, in preseason they didn't push that tempo every possession. They sometimes would get to the line and then do some checks with the sideline. I am more worried about Lesean McCoy, Desean Jackson, and company than I am the actual tempo.

Speak of coincidences, I am listening to the Herd right now and Peter King is talking about how sometimes the Eagles even slow it down to give their O-Line and other players a chance to catch their breath.

The Eagles will be a challenge, but remember that fast paced offense has its own issues. Not every fast drive ends with a touchdown. You'll see them put their defense in a few tough situations.
"I said when he retired that Joe Gibbs was the best coach I'd ever faced." - Bill Parcells

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:54 am

yupchagee wrote:
DarthMonk wrote:football has changed less than we often think.

+1

I don't think the game has 'changed' per se ... IMO the players are a lot faster on both sides and the offensive and defensive schemes have adapted to that

"hurry up" offenses as run by the Bills Kelly and others do not really compare to those run by Brady and Manning

PLUS

Vick is not the QB he used to be and he and Kelly will have a hard time with Haslett's scheming

Petibon was a good defensive mind for that time and against those offenses - the game has evolved not changed

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:14 am

We win this game if we put up points.

We cannot be the Redskins of old that start slow. We need to pick up where we left off. 28 points, every game. Consistency, Health and explosiveness.

Last year Mike changed something that irked me from the Gibbs era. We keep our foot on the pedal. Up by 10 points? We don't go into run-the-clock mode in the 2nd quarter. The Thanksgiving game was a prime example, Dallas closed a wide gap but it was too much.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:54 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:We win this game if we put up points.

We cannot be the Redskins of old that start slow. We need to pick up where we left off. 28 points, every game. Consistency, Health and explosiveness.

Last year Mike changed something that irked me from the Gibbs era. We keep our foot on the pedal. Up by 10 points? We don't go into run-the-clock mode in the 2nd quarter. The Thanksgiving game was a prime example, Dallas closed a wide gap but it was too much.

I agree that this was the most annoying thing about the 2nd gibbs era. Particularly, when I distinctly remember the exact opposite during the 1st one. He routinely would have his team come out and step on the other's throat in the 3rd quarter, on both sides of the ball. I recall this being the hallmark of those teams (particularly the '91 team).
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:31 pm

If you get your foot on their throat... step harder.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Skins History Buff

Postby welch » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:17 pm

ZoneRead wrote:I'm not sure if anyone else mentioned the article in the USA Today about the Redskins "swift" defensive package.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... k/2726901/[/url]

I'm very excited about this.

This is still an essentially Petibon/Gibbs idea:

- Redskins offense learns and runs the hurry-up offense

- Skins defense practices against it and learns weakness

- Redskins swift defense appears to shift players to different roles; entire defense shifts

- Hurry-up with Jim Kelley or Chip Kelly depends on attacking a passive defense. Redskins defense did the attacking in SB 26; planning and practicing to attack in 2013.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:56 pm

^^ I agree - but ... this defense is run by Haslett with guys that have to cope with a faster offense than those guys did ... :lol:

that defense was good against what they were facing - this group of defensive players would dominate that offense - they are just a better/faster group than those guys :lol:

that was then - this is now - everything is MUCH faster today

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football