Merriweather

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:31 pm

Countertrey wrote:
riggofan wrote:
DaSkinz Baby wrote:IMHO NFL Football has become too much of a baby league. Tackle Football is a violent sport. The NFL should have all players that want to play that are drafted sign a health waiver form. There will be concussions, there will be injury's. GET OVER IT! Now I don't think spearing should be legal or direct shots at the head so to speak, but the about of rules and how hard hits are now frowned upon is sickening. I suppose had Sean Taylor still been playing he would be a dirty player too right? I wonder how many suspensions and fines he would have gotten. With that said I like Merriweather and hope he still clocks the opposite team's players as he can!!

You forgot to add "there will be debilitating, crippling injuries and long term brain damage".

Seriously, I agree to a certain extent with what you're saying. You can only take out so much of the violence of the game. But trying to get players to actually tackle instead of launching themselves like missiles is probably worth it if it saves some of these guys from dementia or ALS at the age of 40. If you haven't seen the Real Sports piece on former New Orleans Saint, Steve Gleason, its well worth watching.

http://www.hbo.com/real-sports-with-bry ... eason.html

There is a solution. This stuff started when the league banned bump and run coverage, where the db initiated contact early, and maintained it for as long as possible... the result was that the db was usually too close the the receiver to launch. Legalize bump and run... the kind perfected by Pat Fischer and Roger Werhli... you'll see this more violent contact go way down. You'll also see defense become an actual part of the game again... and Receivers will have to actually earn their living, like Charlie Taylor, Charlie Joiner, and others did.

Excellent point. However people including athletes today want the easy route. It's like all these rules favoring the offense was done cause so many people want to a 49-42 game and not a 10-7 game. It stinks how much this game is changing all on the premise of safety. I wonder what the rules are going to be when they realize what these lisfranc injuries are being caused by. Maybe they will only allow one type of shoe to be worn........

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:42 pm

Countertrey wrote:There is a solution. This stuff started when the league banned bump and run coverage, where the db initiated contact early, and maintained it for as long as possible... the result was that the db was usually too close the the receiver to launch. Legalize bump and run... the kind perfected by Pat Fischer and Roger Werhli... you'll see this more violent contact go way down. You'll also see defense become an actual part of the game again... and Receivers will have to actually earn their living, like Charlie Taylor, Charlie Joiner, and others did.

Great comment, not an idea I have heard before. Why were the rules on bump and run changed to begin with?

DaSkinz, I'm totally with you on not wanting to see the action taken out of the game. There's no doubt there is an amount of risk that comes with playing football and earning the rewards that come with it. I think the NFL is right though on trying to take away that launching/spearing with the helmet though. Make these guys learn how to tackle again, the game will be fine.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:40 pm

riggofan wrote: Why were the rules on bump and run changed to begin with?

My opinion?

Three reasons...
1: HOF Roger Werhli
2: SHOULD BE HOF Pat Fischer.
3: The NFL became aware that the attention spans and sophistication of fans was diminishing, and the league had just about maxed out it's fan base... New fans were needed to grow the league... Scoring was seen as a path to assure that the NFL maintained and grew the fan base... From a business perspective, they were right... Unfortunately, the integrity of the game has suffered...

Typically, before the NFL put it's finger on the balance between O and D, an innovation on D was countered with an innovation on O, and vice versa... unfortunately, however, the league felt this was not exciting enough... so they short circuited the evolution of the game (hence my integrity comment), and, basically, cheated the defenses of the league.

Today, as a result, defenses are largely little more than a foil for the offense.

Put it this way... in the old days, a cornerback could become a Probowler on guile, guts, and intelligence... in the late 60's, a Safety like Reed Doughty would be a sought after commodity. Now, unless you are FAST along with the other 3 attributes, you will struggle to make, much less stay with, a team.

Today, players like Charley Taylor, Harold Charmichael or Bob Hayes would destroy defenses.
Today, players like Roger Werhli and Pat Fisher would never get an NFL look

Back when Defense really meant something, the twice a year war between 6'8'' Harold Charmichael and 5'9'' Pat Fischer was a thing of beauty... most often a draw... but won more often by Fischer than Charmichael... Carmichael HATED playing against Fisher... because IT HURT. Today, the tall fast guy wins...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:15 pm

Countertrey wrote:That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Yeah, but only because you have stick-um all over you. :lol:
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:53 pm

Deadskins wrote:
Countertrey wrote:That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Yeah, but only because you have stick-um all over you. :lol:
stickum is quality! The bench knew that if Fischer had a wad of stickum in his mouth, stay away... he was probably pissed about something.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

swine

Postby masterkwon » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:19 pm

jr_uscg wrote:He brings a toughness to our defense.

:roll:

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:34 pm

At least he made it through a full game.. that's a vast improvement in and of itself
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football