Merriweather

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Re: Merriweather

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:59 pm

1niksder wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
aswas71788 wrote:He has played in exactly 3 games in two years.

Actually, he's only played two games (and really just part of two games). At least it wasn't his knee.

The guy is remarkable ... He always finds a new way to get hurt.

I think this one will cost him though ...

He launched and lead with the crown of his helmet TWICE, causing two concussions.

The fact that he suffered one of them will not matter to Mara and the boys because he did it wear B&G.

If we cut him, do we get any cap space back? I'm finished with him personally. I think he makes a difference when he's on the field but he can't stay healthy. My hopes are finished; time to focus on another solution.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:10 pm

I don't see us cutting him. Unfortunately, there's nothing better out there.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:18 pm

Countertrey wrote:I don't see us cutting him. Unfortunately, there's nothing better out there.

Of course there is!! They just play for other teams :wink: lol

Really sucks that Thomas is out for the year. I don't think he would have been a starter this year, but he's missing much needed practice. Kinda sucks that we'll probably approach the draft looking for the same positions as last year.

piggie

Postby Redskinsfansince81 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:15 am

TimSkin wrote:
Redskinsfansince81 wrote:I think the Packers' fans cheered when Merriweather went down.

I guess because he knocked Lacy out of the game.

No I was at the game....They cheered him when he walked off the field under his own power.

Green Bay has some of the most respectable fans in the league for I didn't have ONE fan talk inappropriate smack. Most of them at the worst asked me if I wanted to switch teams. All the fans around me were asking questions about the skins and were just nice and respectable drunk fans.

Okay, thanks. I guess they were cheering for the run that had just been made. I was away from the TV when he got up and walked off.

Location: If I knew ... it would explain a lot but I've seen Homerville on a map, that wasn't helpful at all

Re: Merriweather

Postby 1niksder » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:44 am

HTTRRG3ALMO wrote:
1niksder wrote:
Deadskins wrote:
aswas71788 wrote:He has played in exactly 3 games in two years.

Actually, he's only played two games (and really just part of two games). At least it wasn't his knee.

The guy is remarkable ... He always finds a new way to get hurt.

I think this one will cost him though ...

He launched and lead with the crown of his helmet TWICE, causing two concussions.

The fact that he suffered one of them will not matter to Mara and the boys because he did it wear B&G.

If we cut him, do we get any cap space back? I'm finished with him personally. I think he makes a difference when he's on the field but he can't stay healthy. My hopes are finished; time to focus on another solution.

Nope
..__..
{o,o}
|)__)
-"-"-

When you reach the end of your rope, tie a knot in it and hold on....

If the world didn't suck we'd all fall off

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:59 am

Brandon will be coached to NOT make tackles leading with his helmet or he will be gone - he can be a force at a position of need - he needs to learn from his mistakes

actually, there are a number of players on offense and defense that need to learn from the mistakes that have happened the past 2 weeks :roll:
It's taken years for the Redskins to become as bad as we are - there is no way that the team is going to be consistently competitive in the near future, the problems here are complex - unfortunately with Dan Snyder, it is what it is

piggie

Postby jr_uscg » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:43 pm

I love when this guy is out on the field! If he could just stay healthy. He brings a toughness to our defense. WR will think twice about laying their bodies out there. Hopefully he will get tired of paying out for leading with his helmet. Does anyone know when he is back?
Semper Paratus
Hail to the Redskins

Hog

Postby HTTRRG3ALMO » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:55 pm

jr_uscg wrote:I love when this guy is out on the field! If he could just stay healthy. He brings a toughness to our defense. WR will think twice about laying their bodies out there. Hopefully he will get tired of paying out for leading with his helmet. Does anyone know when he is back?

I haven't noticed anything new on him yet. That was a pretty nasty hit. It looked like a Pat White concussion...he was out cold.

swine

Postby masterkwon » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:20 pm

jr_uscg wrote:He brings a toughness to our defense.

Definitely...if he had not been playing Sunday the game might have been over in the first quarter instead of the second. :roll:

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:12 am

I've resigned myself to thinking that Merriweather will never see sustained playing time as a Redskin. I can't imagine who else we could bring in, so like last year we'll just have to grit our teeth and bear this defense while Rambo learns the ropes. With Thomas returning and another offseason, we'll finally be able to drag our defensive backfield back toward average.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:32 am

Irn-Bru wrote:I've resigned myself to thinking that Merriweather will never see sustained playing time as a Redskin. I can't imagine who else we could bring in, so like last year we'll just have to grit our teeth and bear this defense while Rambo learns the ropes. With Thomas returning and another offseason, we'll finally be able to drag our defensive backfield back toward average.

+1

Anyone have any updates on his status?

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:38 am

Irn-Bru wrote:I've resigned myself to thinking that Merriweather will never see sustained playing time as a Redskin. I can't imagine who else we could bring in, so like last year we'll just have to grit our teeth and bear this defense while Rambo learns the ropes. With Thomas returning and another offseason, we'll finally be able to drag our defensive backfield back toward average.

I suspect there are several things that will come into play here...
1: Merriweather should now have a wealth of internal motivation to stop spearing...

2: The need to address the secondary will probably result in the team abandoning BPA in the Second round of the 2014 draft, and going with BDBA (best DB available) instead.

3: Rambo has been improving exponentially... despite the claims of the bus jumpers...

4: Amerson has been schooled. This is one of the reasons you rarely see rooks starting in the back 4 on defense this early in the season... Unfortunately, our situation demands that he learn on the job... He will get better...

5: RAK! Stay home once in a while...

6: Haslett has done a lousy job of covering the weaknesses of his players... that may be largely due to circumstance, but, come on... doesn't that dictate being a bit less aggressive than we have been????
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Postby skinsfan#33 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:14 am

I say on Sunday they assign Rambo and Amerson to double CJ all game. It would fix several things.
First, neither rookie would be confused with their responsibility.
Second, it would prevent Halett from running any of those stupid zero blitz.
Third, DHall should be able to handle whoever the Lions number two WR is and maybe he and Wilson would actually play some press coverage.
Fourth, I think four rushers can get to Stafford and that still leaves a free safety to help out.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:18 am

Calvin Johnson. Groan.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:27 pm

Merriweather back to practice today btw.

Safety Brandon Meriweather walks off the field after suffering a concussion during a helmet-to-helmet hit Sunday. (Tom Lynn/Associated Press)

Redskins strong safety Brandon Meriweather returned to the practice field on Wednesday after leaving Sunday’s game with a concussion and going through a series of tests Monday and Tuesday.

It wasn’t immediately clear how much of a workload Meriweather received. But he took part in the first 20 minutes of practice, which is dedicated to positional drills and open to reporters.

Meriweather did not speak to reporters during the Wednesday morning open locker room session.

Meriweather suffered his concussion 30 seconds into the second quarter while trying to tackle Green Bay running back James Starks along the sideline. Meriweather came in from the side, and his helmet struck Starks’ helmet. Meriweather went down in a heap and did not move. Trainers immediately rushed across the field to tend to him. After several minutes, Meriweather sat up and eventually walked off the field under his own power. He headed straight for the locker room flanked by a trainer and team doctor. He was diagnosed with a concussion shortly after.

Meriweather in the first quarter knocked running back Eddie Lacy out of the game with a helmet-to-helmet hit. Meriweather is expected to receive a fine from the league.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football