Jim Haslett and the defense or lack there of.....

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
^^^^^^^

Postby frankcal20 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:10 pm

oneman56 wrote:
frankcal20 wrote:We didn't have any money to get anyone in the FA market. We drafted a CB and two Safeties. Unfortunately one of them got hurt (Thomas). There was hope that Merriweather would've come back in better shape and playing ability. Unfortunately that didn't happen and he's on the PS. I would imaging that we will be quite active in the FA market in regards to dbacks in the offseason.

Who are you referring to? Meriweather has played the past 2 weeks.

Minnifield. My mistake.

piggie

Postby Bishop Hammer » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:17 pm

riggofan wrote:Great call. I'm sure if we fire Jim Haslett tomorrow, Bacarri Rambo will immediately go from inexperienced rookie to pro bowl caliber tackling machine. London Fletcher will experience an unexplained and miraculous bout of reverse aging. And Darrelle Revis will demand a trade from the Bucs to the Redskins for the league minimum. Problems solved.

What the hell are we waiting for???

That's the best answer yet for firing Haslett. :D
I don't have to sell my soul,
He's already in me,
I don't need to sell my soul,
He's already in me.
I wanna be adored
I wanna be adored.

Stone Roses
I wanna be adored

Hog

Postby BigRedskinDaddy » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:29 pm

Here's some more grim numbers: since Haz was the DC in St. Louis up to the present day, his units have finished 23rs, 21st, 28th, 31st, 13th and 28th in yards allowed. The Skins are currently 32nd.

For a guy who likes to attack, not read-and-react, that's abysmal. Teams run his Defenses from one goalpost to the other and back again, and the dominoes of fatigue plus severe ToP imbalance leave little margin for error, victory-wise,

He's gotta go IMHO.
SB 17 - 22 - 26 - ??

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:42 am

BigRedskinDaddy wrote:He's gotta go IMHO.

Yesterday's game has proven this wrong.

Postby skinsfan#33 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:23 am

How so?

Just because the players played well against a team with zero offensive ability (but stilll gave up 300 yards to a talentless team). I know the D gave up as many points as they scored but Haz didn't become a good DC overnight.

"Twice a day even a broken clock is right" or if you like "every once in a while even a blind squirel gets a nut"

Now if they go out and do that against the Cowgirls and Bears then you may have a point
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog

Postby oneman56 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:02 am

skinsfan#33 wrote:How so?

Just because the players played well against a team with zero offensive ability (but stilll gave up 300 yards to a talentless team). I know the D gave up as many points as they scored but Haz didn't become a good DC overnight.

"Twice a day even a broken clock is right" or if you like "every once in a while even a blind squirel gets a nut"

Now if they go out and do that against the Cowgirls and Bears then you may have a point

100% agreed. Regardless of which side of the fence you're on regarding Haslet,t this game against the Raiders doesn't prove or dis-prove either side. We played a pretty good defensive game against pretty bad offense made worse by missing players.

Couple things that still stuck out to me about the defense and I don't know if was blown coverage or design, was this. On the Raiders only TD scoring drive they had a 3rd down play with stacked WR's which we didn't even cover allowing an easy completion for first down. Then the TD to Rivera, we allowed him to run uncovered right into the endzone. And, we still didn't tackle very well. This continues to happen every week and when we play the Broncos in a few weeks, the Chargers (Rivers is playing surprisingly well), etc these issues will be magnified. Nothing changed on defense all that much, the Raiders offense just couldn't take advantage of it.

I'm still undecided where I stand on Haslett, seems to me we have better talent on D then the way we perform and therefore I tend to think the issue is moreso coaching and scheme. Yes, we could use some more secondary talent and yes we could use some more speed on D but I like our LB's (wish we had more speed though), I like our D line and we have a decent pass rush so we shouldn't be as bad as we are. I do however, give a lot of kudos to Haslett for last years 7 game winning streak where our D played pretty darn good with all the injuries we had and that's why I'm undecided.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:04 am

We won the game. Our defense had a pick six. Therefore, you do not fire your defensive coordinator.

Hog

Postby gushogs » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:20 am

If I was Hasslet I would have designe every play to let Rivera catch all the TDs he wanted, just to be able to watch her sister jumping up and down with a cutoff T-Shirt!!!!!

HaiL,
Enough of this name change sh*t!!!
Get politicians out of office. Then they'll forget about the REDSKINS, because they'll be WORKING!!!

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:38 pm

gushogs wrote:If I was Hasslet I would have designe every play to let Rivera catch all the TDs he wanted, just to be able to watch her sister jumping up and down with a cutoff T-Shirt!!!!!

HaiL,

I would definitely be on board with that.

Hog

Postby BigRedskinDaddy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:12 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:We won the game. Our defense had a pick six. Therefore, you do not fire your defensive coordinator.

One game is a pretty small sample size for whether you keep him or not. What happens when, not if, we lose another one? Do we line up all the assistant coaches and do them firing-squad style? My point, and I believe the others in this thread who would like to replace Haslett, is that in looking at the BIGGER picture it's clear our D's are not anywhere near the top.

Or even the middle for that matter.
SB 17 - 22 - 26 - ??

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:18 pm

BigRedskinDaddy wrote:
StorminMormon86 wrote:We won the game. Our defense had a pick six. Therefore, you do not fire your defensive coordinator.

One game is a pretty small sample size for whether you keep him or not. What happens when, not if, we lose another one? Do we line up all the assistant coaches and do them firing-squad style? My point, and I believe the others in this thread who would like to replace Haslett, is that in looking at the BIGGER picture it's clear our D's are not anywhere near the top.

One game is a pretty small sample size. So is three.

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:44 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:

We won the game. Our defense had a pick six. Therefore, you do not fire your defensive coordinator.

You have got to be kidding right? Cause we beat a team playing their #2 QB and both the starting RB and FB were hurt early. I think the least this defense could do is beat a obviously weak team with second and third stringers starting. I bet had Terrell Pryor played there would not have been 7 sacks and I think we would have lost. So big deal Jim Haslett finally earns a paycheck by his defense beating the team it should have. Maybe this week off will allow them to learn to tackle, us leading the league in missed tackles isn't a good stat to have going into the bye.

Hog

Postby DaSkinz Baby » Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:46 pm

riggofan wrote:
BigRedskinDaddy wrote:

Care to comment on the FACT that since Haslett has been here our defense has ranked between 28th and 31st how about you try to validate that fact. :twisted:

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:01 pm

DaSkinz Baby wrote: ... Maybe this week off will allow them to learn to tackle, us leading the league in missed tackles isn't a good stat to have going into the bye.

Please clarify .... when is it ever good to lead the league in missed tackles?

and

why would 'going into the bye' be a particular worry?

I would think it means we'll have time to improve on this - maybe you feel differently? :twisted:
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

Postby skinsfan#33 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:06 pm

riggofan wrote:
BigRedskinDaddy wrote:

How about three years and three games? Is that a big enough sample size? How about all of those years of bad DC work prior to him getting this gig?
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football