"Snyder, RG3 made mistakes, but Skins disaster is Shanahan"

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
-----------

"Snyder, RG3 made mistakes, but Skins disaster is Shanahan"

Postby Smithian » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:47 pm

"Snyder, RG3 made mistakes, but this Redskins disaster is all Shanahan(s)"

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jas ... -shanahans

I already felt this way, but even more so now. Mike Shanahan is by far the most liable for this failure. Hope this is his last job so he goes out a loser. Joe Gibbs went out with a playoff run and dignity, Shanahan won't.
"I said when he retired that Joe Gibbs was the best coach I'd ever faced." - Bill Parcells

Hog

Re: "Snyder, RG3 made mistakes, but Skins disaster is Shanah

Postby Kilmer72 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:05 am

From the same article
Shanahan is a calculated, Machiavellian, micromanaging, demanding, autocratic football demagogue who came to Washington to make his case for enshrinement in Canton and establish his son as a future NFL head coach. This isn't some football rube who got to Washington and was shocked to suddenly find out that Snyder can be a difficult boss who gets too cozy with players. That Shanahan was somehow the one guy who didn't realize that Redskins Park tends to get tainted by a star culture is impossible to believe. He had to know what he was getting into. The reality is, Shanahan has had Snyder at arm's length far more than any of his predecessors. By Snyder's historical standards, this is as good as it gets.

"He knew what he was getting in to," said one NFL executive who has dealt with the Snyder/Shanahan regime with some frequency. "When you make $35 million, that's part of the hazard pay. If anything, it sounds like now, with it over, Shanahan is using Snyder's reputation against him, but we never got the sense he was dealing with a meddling, overbearing owner."

Hog

Postby OldSchool » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:05 am

There is plenty of blame to go around. I start with Snyder because he poisons the environment during every regime, I don't think the Skins will be really successful under Snyder's ownership. Second, I blame whoever decided to spend 3 first round picks and a second pick for college option quarterback without pocket passing skills that is built like a wide receiver. I don't know how much responsibility Shanahan has in this selection as outsiders how can we know. If it was Shanny's idea they he made his own bed betting so much on this prima Donna. I thought it was a reckless and stupid pick when the made it and it is working out even worse they expected.

In any case the constant is Snyder and I expect he will mess up the next coaching regime also. I know Snyder will be able to find a man with a decent resume who will be willing to join the cast of Snyder's soap opera and deal with Griffin during act three of this drama because Snyder will pay him a small fortune every year and the coach will earn it in frustration.

I hope we get three weeks of fun to watch football and the Skins start a winning streak the players and fans can enjoy that will give them some momentum before the new guy arrives. We could use some fun games. But I'm not drinking the koolaid again.

Hog

Postby Burgundy&Wha? » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:22 am

JLC summed it up pretty well. We wanted Shanny to succeed, but he's been his own worst enemy. If you think back to his days in Denver post-Elway, they were up one year and down the next. He had a problem with drafting good db's, which is why he traded for Champ. His zone blocking scheme has more to do with stringing out D-Linemen until they overrun or fall down thus allowing the RB to make a cut. His pick of linemen for this scheme aren't well suited for pass blocking. His staff seems incapable of developing talent or teaching young players -- that goes for O-line as well as QB. They used Robert as a RB and limited his instruction as a drop back passer. Now that the pistol formation has played out, they need a drop back passer but don't have the quality line to allow Robert to develop those skills. It's a mess. And it's a mess of Shanny's making.

Trading a 2nd round pick for McNabb? We should have seen it all for what it was with that one move. #-o

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:38 am

Nothing new here - everyone knows that most if not all of the 'reports' and 'story lines' are way overblown and mostly completely fabricated to try and get attention

and everyone knows that 'the blame' for anything and everything is complete - give me a name of a player, a coach, anyone connected in any way to the Redskins and one can find something

this mess is on everyone except of course the fans and the media :)

this is 'good' for everyone who enjoys pointing the finger and painting the all too familiar doom and gloom that is the Washington Redskins

I am VERY sure that things are NOT nearly as bad as many are making it out to be - and, it's going to be interesting watching things get better here …

bring it on
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:48 am

Man... did anybody else hear McNabb on Lavar's show yesterday? BRUTAL. The full interview is available here, well worth a listen:

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/12/ ... lar-to-me/

“But what we’re seeing right now, is the fact that he wanted to put Kirk Cousins in there, because he felt better suited that he was ready to go to run that type of offense that Kyle Shanahan is used to running. Now we know through the offseason with Robert and his rehab, and while that was televised each and every time he was out there on the field – which was shocking to me because, for a franchise in the NFL, when you have an injured player, you want that injured player to focus more on his rehab, not so much on the marketing ability of trying to promote the team.

“And that’s part of the problem that I had early on was, how can you have your franchise quarterback who’s coming off a knee injury out there at OTAs and mini-camps, with the rest of the injured players on the other side of the field where the healthy players are practicing, but we’re not hearing about the other offensive or defensive players who are practicing? We’re focusing on the injured players. And to me it was more or less, we’re gonna ride the wave of making the playoffs, and thinking that next year will be the same, and we’ll come out the block and dominate the NFC East.”

There's a great segment in there where McNabb talks about how you need to tailor your offense to suit your players. Not the other way around. He's talking about QBs, but also players on the defense. He's like, "Andy Reid didn't have Trotter out there trying to cover TEs. He played to his strengths." Really worth listening to if you get a chance.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:57 am

not sure I understand riggofan - we all have ideas and thoughts on what has happened here
MOST of what I have heard (both positive and negative) have VERY little that is 'factual' and a lot of 'stuff & fluff' that suits the agenda …

not sure what your point about McNabb is that is different than anything we've heard recently

help me out here …
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

-----------

Postby Smithian » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:09 am

SkinsJock wrote:Nothing new here - everyone knows that most if not all of the 'reports' and 'story lines' are way overblown and mostly completely fabricated to try and get attention

and everyone knows that 'the blame' for anything and everything is complete - give me a name of a player, a coach, anyone connected in any way to the Redskins and one can find something

this mess is on everyone except of course the fans and the media :)

this is 'good' for everyone who enjoys pointing the finger and painting the all too familiar doom and gloom that is the Washington Redskins

I am VERY sure that things are NOT nearly as bad as many are making it out to be - and, it's going to be interesting watching things get better here …

bring it on
The Redskins are 3-10, the franchise QB has just been bench "for his own good" after an awful season, the media are blasting the Redskins worse than ever, Shanahan is 24-37 even counting the winning streak last season, and the team is coming off a 45-10 blasting by the Chiefs. There isn't even a high first round pick to add an impact player.

I think it is just as bad as it seems right now. If you can dress this up I'd be willing to listen because I am disgusted by this team.
"I said when he retired that Joe Gibbs was the best coach I'd ever faced." - Bill Parcells

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:37 am

you want some good news - we might have the 34th pick in the draft :D

"beauty (or ugly) is in the eye of the beholder"

for sure, things are a mess here but the situation is being blown WAY out of proportion - this is the Redskins - we are a lightning rod

I'm not buying into the hype - most of the 'stuff' being reported is being totally overblown by everyone

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:40 am

If 3-10 is 'important' then beating the Chargers 'counts' … last night, they beat the best team in the NFL :D

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:07 pm

I can't agree. This is the same result we've had in the past, regardless of coach. Snyder intentionally, or unintentionally sets up every regime to fail. He's is the main reason for all of this.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:37 pm

What I don't understand is why in DC when a Snyder - HC relationship goes sour it always must end with the blame game. It is what it is. Things didn't turn out the way it was anticipated. I wish MS and Danny boy would just work stuff out between themselves quietly and transition the role without all the media hoopla.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:47 pm

SkinsJock wrote:not sure what your point about McNabb is that is different than anything we've heard recently

help me out here …

No point at all at least in the way you're asking. I was just pointing out what a brutal interview McNabb gave on the radio yesterday. If other people have suggested or guessed at similar things recently, McNabb really laid it all out there. I thought the interesting part of that interview was that four weeks ago, nobody was giving McNabb much credence. He sounded mostly like sour grapes. In light of recent events people may have to reconsider at least some of what he's claimed about Shanahan. I definitely did.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:55 pm

Chris Luva Luva wrote:I can't agree. This is the same result we've had in the past, regardless of coach. Snyder intentionally, or unintentionally sets up every regime to fail. He's is the main reason for all of this.

Basically I agree Chris - Dan Snyder's the main culprit for where we are and he's the main reason that the 'reports' are so volatile - this is his world

as the expression goes "he's earned this … "

However Chris, this franchise has changed recently and the way things are managed and run have gotten better - OK we're at 3-10 but I contend that we have some things going for us and we need to bring in the right people who can continue to help this franchise recover despite the things that Dan Snyder does and did

Snyder needs to support the NFL guys he pays a lot of money to and keep their focus on improving the way this franchise is managed and run

Snyder can come out of this quite well if he behaves as an NFL owner should and manage and control things through his NFL people, not business or marketing guys

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:03 pm

riggofan wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:not sure what your point about McNabb is that is different than anything we've heard recently - help me out here …

No point at all at least in the way you're asking. I was just pointing out what a brutal interview McNabb gave on the radio yesterday. If other people have suggested or guessed at similar things recently, McNabb really laid it all out there. I thought the interesting part of that interview was that four weeks ago, nobody was giving McNabb much credence. He sounded mostly like sour grapes. In light of recent events people may have to reconsider at least some of what he's claimed about Shanahan. I definitely did.

OK - that's fair enough - I don't agree with you about McNabb but I understand what you're getting at

I have always felt that Mike was a lying, conniving, SOB, like a lot of 'good' HCs - BUT … he did get control away from Snyder
he may lose this battle but hopefully from now on the Redskins will be managed in a different way than before Mike came in and thats a good thing

McNabb did not like (hated?) what was going on - I did not think he handled it well either - that's just my take

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football