Lay off RGIII

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
+++++++++
Posts: 5225
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:21 am

Lay off RGIII

Postby Skinsfan55 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:29 pm

Robert Griffin III has gotten a ton of flak this season, and IMO almost none of it is deserved. He was badly injured in last season's playoffs and he worked his tail off to get in playing shape by the time the season started. It was described as a "superhuman" feat. He is an amazingly hard worker who followed his rehab to the letter and was almost 100% healthy to start the year.

He missed an entire offseason of work because he wasn't able to practice. Perhaps the coach should have taken charge and sat him for the first few games, but that's neither here nor there. It is nearly impossible for a second year man to miss his first full offseason and come in and play at a high level. He's been pretty bad this season, but look at the hurdles in front of him. Look at the lack of skill players and how unprepared the coaches have the team week in and week out. This is still the very same QB who has jaw dropping athletic ability and who has made incredible throws. He's more physically talented than any QB in Redskins history and he's just 23 years old. Let's forgive a little sophomore slump eh? Stop all the nonsense about building around Kirk Cousins. Sometimes young players have some growing pains, it happens all the time.

More upsetting than attacks on his decision making and playing ability however are attacks on his character. That he's suddenly uncoachable, that he's a diva, that he's not putting in the work to learn the playbook. IMO these are all the worst kind of attacks that have been following African American quarterbacks around since desegregation. There is no evidence to suggest that RGIII is anything other than a professional who puts the team above himself. He's proven, even in this lost season, to be an exceptionally hard worker and a bona fide leader who puts the team first. This is a guy who I firmly believe will someday win multiple MVP awards as he leads the Redskins to multiple Super Bowl championships. He's one of the best athletes in the entire NFL and he deserves a little patience from Redskins fans. He's not part of the problem folks, but he will be part of the solution.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:47 pm
Location: Dallas, Tx

Re: Lay off RGIII

Postby funsho2 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:26 am

If the guy doesn't improve next season and we suck like we did this season.

Lets all hope we suck enough to get the number 1 overrall pick and get Jameis Winston.

swine
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:53 pm

Re: Lay off RGIII

Postby Colorado Skin Fan » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:39 am

Agreed. No doubt he a confident guy. That confidence has been exploited by the media to create controversy. Playing Cousin's has provided some insight. The items we believed were issues are proven out in Kirk's play. Kirk makes faster decisions at this point. He anticipates better and throws to a spot. Both items that Griffin will improve on dramatically, just as Cam Newton has. The things that are missing from Kirk's game are the things that can't be taught. They are the things that make Robert the future of the franchise. It's the swagger it takes for a confident playmaker to put that final drive together or make a play when it's most needed. He's the guy that can take an off-schedule play and make things happen when it appears nothing is there.

He is still the hardworking, smart, confident, playmaker that won rookie of the year in his first year. He maybe needed a confidence check and he's gotten that. I expect for him to come in with a mission, and new coach, and have a great offseason. They will get him some more help with the additional available cap space (line help and and another playmaker at receiver). He'll come back with a mission to restore his image and will tear the league-up. He's going to be fine.

|||||||
Posts: 4566
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:11 pm
Location: Somewhere, out there.

Re: Lay off RGIII

Postby UK Skins Fan » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:55 am

Last year was phenomenal. This year was mediocre. After a full offseason and a full season of play next year, we should know exactly what we've got with RG3.

I'd dispute whether any of the negative comment about him is racially driven in any way. More likely, it's just the giant media machine doing what it does best again - filling a void of firm information with rumour, innuendo and speculation. It's funny that now, after a disappointing season, it was "well known" that RG3's parents were interfering busy-bodies at Baylor and that he always had an "entitlement complex". Honestly, I can't remember reading anything like that in the hundreds of thousands of words that I read about RG3 in the run up to the 2012 draft and in the aftermath. I do recall some sideways comments about being a little arrogant, but I really don't see that as a problem in an NFL quarterback.

Anyway, all of this stuff comes with losing. Win, and the nonsense stops.
Also available on Twitter @UKSkinsFan

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 1103
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: Pasadena, MD

Re: Lay off RGIII

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:35 am

Enough with the racial crap. There's a reason he's being scrutinized by the media. He won ROY, broke several rookie records, and had an outstanding rookie year. He got injured, promised he'd be back 100%, and has sucked (you can sugarcoat it all you want about not having an offseason, the injury, etc.) this year. The same thing happened to Newton. Sophomore slumps happen, it's just when the better players go through them they are under a bigger microscope.

And I know a lot of posters on here will disagree with me, but for what we gave up to get Griffin, we need to have a winning season NEXT YEAR. We have to make the playoffs. Anything less, IMO, would be wasted picks that hurt the development of this team in the long run.

the 'mudge
Posts: 14328
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:15 pm
Location: Curmudgeon Corner, Maine

Re: Lay off RGIII

Postby Countertrey » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:36 am

StorminMormon86 wrote:Enough with the racial crap. There's a reason he's being scrutinized by the media. He won ROY, broke several rookie records, and had an outstanding rookie year. He got injured, promised he'd be back 100%, and has sucked (you can sugarcoat it all you want about not having an offseason, the injury, etc.) this year. The same thing happened to Newton. Sophomore slumps happen, it's just when the better players go through them they are under a bigger microscope.

And I know a lot of posters on here will disagree with me, but for what we gave up to get Griffin, we need to have a winning season NEXT YEAR. We have to make the playoffs. Anything less, IMO, would be wasted picks that hurt the development of this team in the long run.

1. Thank you... until we, as a nation, can get past the place where "any criticism of a person if authority who happens to be black is racially motivated", race will always be a divisive issue. The rumors, inuendo, and mud are because this is Dan Snyder's team, not because the quarterback is black. I LOVE Bob... every one here is aware of that... but I do have criticisms, and hope they are considered in the constructive vein. I also happen to believe that Bob sees the same deficiencies as he evaluates himself, and is committed to correcting them to become a complete NFL quarterback. Saying this does NOT mean that I am in denial of the continued presence of racial motivations in America... I think it played some in the Donovan drama... but I don't believe that it has any legs in this particular case.

2. If Bob cannot handle fan drama, he has no business being an NFL Quarterback.

3. I agree that there must be success on the field next year... but that's as much about improving the entire product, as it is about Bob upping his pocket game. I don't neccessarily think that we must reach the playoffs, but there must be a winning season. The 2015 season is when we must see our team competing for an NFL title. You are right, though. His selection required the first round selections from 3 drafts... and MUST result in trophies to be considered successful.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

swine
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:57 am
Location: The Superbowl

Re: Lay off RGIII

Postby RG3peat » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:12 pm

Im not laying off....its a team effort and he has his place. Only real problem I have about character is he goes to the media too much. That is an example of "ME". He cant believe that he is above coach...it dont work. Maybe another tease next year when we play a last place schedule again.

CKRGiii
Posts: 4200
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: 505 New Mexico repn

Re: Lay off RGIII

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:29 pm

I am kind of dumbfounded by anyone who says rgiii "sucked" this year... If you open your eyes this team has sucked. Looking at stats of Cam Newton THIS year vs rgiii and they are really fb close- w rgiii missing two games he would've lit it up in vs Atlanta and Dallas. The glaring difference, besides maybe a couple of percentages for completions, is the win column. Rgiii did enough to win THIS year on teams like sf, seahawks, NC, and KC... Had he the defense and special teams to back him up we would have won more bottom line. Is he perfect? No. But his slump year is better then most any average/good qbs GOoD year.
He came back too soon, ya probably.
He needs to work on his footwork and reads, ok cool...
BUT he's also improved on: making his progressions, pump fakes, avoiding hits on runs

Stats don't tell all, but I really feel like Robert was one of the few players giving his all every Sunday.. once he is surrounded by people that do the same, we will see.more Ws.

Cheers to free agency!
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

piggie
User avatar
Posts: 135
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:43 pm

Re: Lay off RGIII

Postby OldSchool » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:08 pm

Put the racial talk were the sun don't shine. Maybe the race of players are important to you maybe you have a racial agenda but the rest of want wins.

I think Griffin is a bust. The backyard style of play he had success with in 2012 isn't sustainable over 19-20 game season as his serious injury showed us. He worked at rehabbing his leg in the off season but it is obvious he hasn't devoted himself to learning the mental aspect of his job, after two years he still can't make pre snap reads and adjust the protection for himself. We are told he is very bright, his many foolish public comments undermine that assertion but let's presume he is bright, why hasn't he learned this basic stuff in two years?

If you were earning millions of dollars wouldn't you put in the time reviewing videos, the play book, have chalk talks with the coaches and fellow players? Wouldn't you be doubly motivated to learn the mental aspects of the game when you knew your mobility was going to be reduced? But Griffin didn't bother. Cousins put in the time to learn this stuff, Rex knows it why doesn't Griffin? If he's smart enough than he just didn't put in the time to learn it which is inexcusable.

I think he is a diva who has to be the center of attention and has been too lazy or willful to learn the mental aspects of his job. The team wasted a season trying to help him work out of the pocket blaming everyone but Griffin when it do idn't work, the coaches are bad, the OL can't protect, his dog ate the play book and the rest. Shannahan finally benches Griffin and low and behold Cousins goes off for 570+ yards, 4 touchdowns, 2 sacks and 3 picks were he threw slightly behind his receivers in his 2nd and 3rd NFL start. Cousins really understands the offense and executes the offense is the conclusion I draw whereas after two years Griffin is clueless.

Griffin killed the Shannahan regime and if it was Shanny's idea to spend 3 first round and 1 second round pick for Griffin he deserved to be fired. I think it was Daniel Snyder who decided to bring Griffin in and this is merely the latest of his mega deal flops.

Shanny, his staff and many of the players are going to lose their jobs over this terrible season. Griffin will probably urge Snyder to trade Cousins because he is a distraction which will be welcome news to all the RGIIIBots who would have us believe Cousins can't be coached up to cut his 1.3 INT per start average down to .7 INT per start. In his 3 NFL starts Cousins Averages 300 yards, 2 TDs and 1.3 INT. If Cousins reduces his picks per start down to .7 his numbers are up with the league leaders. What serious person doesn't believe that with more practice and game experience Cousins could reduce his INTs? They weren't crazy throws into stupid places, he made the correct read but the ball arrived a yard behind where it should have been.

The RGIIIBots will have us believe Cousins can't make any improvements but Griffin is going acquire all the knowledge, recognition, processing and decision making capabilities he has failed to even begin to acquire after 2 seasons. Sure, go with that and when it doesn't happen and Griffin is still playing backyard ball use the excuse "he is learning a new system."
Last edited by OldSchool on Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
********************************* Spoiler Alert **************************************

"Robert has to learn the new system!" Will be the party line in 2014

swine
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:53 pm

Re: Lay off RGIII

Postby Colorado Skin Fan » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:14 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:Robert Griffin III has gotten a ton of flak this season, and IMO almost none of it is deserved. He was badly injured in last season's playoffs and he worked his tail off to get in playing shape by the time the season started. It was described as a "superhuman" feat. He is an amazingly hard worker who followed his rehab to the letter and was almost 100% healthy to start the year.

He missed an entire offseason of work because he wasn't able to practice. Perhaps the coach should have taken charge and sat him for the first few games, but that's neither here nor there. It is nearly impossible for a second year man to miss his first full offseason and come in and play at a high level. He's been pretty bad this season, but look at the hurdles in front of him. Look at the lack of skill players and how unprepared the coaches have the team week in and week out. This is still the very same QB who has jaw dropping athletic ability and who has made incredible throws. He's more physically talented than any QB in Redskins history and he's just 23 years old. Let's forgive a little sophomore slump eh? Stop all the nonsense about building around Kirk Cousins. Sometimes young players have some growing pains, it happens all the time.

More upsetting than attacks on his decision making and playing ability however are attacks on his character. That he's suddenly uncoachable, that he's a diva, that he's not putting in the work to learn the playbook. IMO these are all the worst kind of attacks that have been following African American quarterbacks around since desegregation. There is no evidence to suggest that RGIII is anything other than a professional who puts the team above himself. He's proven, even in this lost season, to be an exceptionally hard worker and a bona fide leader who puts the team first. This is a guy who I firmly believe will someday win multiple MVP awards as he leads the Redskins to multiple Super Bowl championships. He's one of the best athletes in the entire NFL and he deserves a little patience from Redskins fans. He's not part of the problem folks, but he will be part of the solution.


+1

swine
Posts: 80
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:53 pm

Re: Lay off RGIII

Postby Colorado Skin Fan » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:21 pm

Shanahan dug his own hole. He was key to the decision that cost $18M for 2 years. He has stuck with a defensive coordinator who continues to put an inferior product on the field. He is hard headed in his decision making and only sees one way to do business, whether it's working or not. He stuck with an offensive line for 4 years that has had the same flaws year in and year out that are pointed out here. All while raking in a cool $7M yearly. Robert had nothing to do with the mess we are seeing. It starts with the man who was given everything by his owner to succeed and then left us with this shambles of a football team after 4 years to build something viable.

+++++++++
Posts: 5225
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:21 am

Re: Lay off RGIII

Postby Skinsfan55 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:55 pm

OldSchool wrote:Put the racial talk were the sun don't shine. Maybe the race of players are important to you maybe you have a racial agenda but the rest of want wins.


It would be ignorant to pretend that attacks on RGIII's mental acuity and work ethic aren't at least in part, racially motivated. It's the same knock we've heard about African American QB's since the color barrier was broken. Also, it's equally ignorant to highlight on that point since it was far from the main idea of my post.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

+++++++++
Posts: 5225
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:21 am

Re: Lay off RGIII

Postby Skinsfan55 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:35 pm

"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

CKRGiii
Posts: 4200
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: 505 New Mexico repn

Re: Lay off RGIII

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:48 pm

Cousins' first two NFL starts pale in comparrison to rgiiis- rookie starts with less time in the system then Cousins vs better teams...
If wins are all that counts Cousins is in the hole... Vs some crappy teams too.

Can the rgiii haters let us have this one fn thread?? Please?! Smmfh
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

08 Champ
Posts: 13051
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 9:23 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Re: Lay off RGIII

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:14 pm

Bob has had 2 seasons and we have won 1 NFC East title

let's let this play out a bit before we think he's not going to be a very good QB

most everyone with any sense at all or who really knows anything about which QBs are going to be great or not KNOW that Bob is one of those

AND - can the thought that we might have given up too much - there is no such thing when you have a franchise QB and especially one like Bob
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open

RG3 will benefit from having a full off season to prepare and a better 'fit' at both HC and OC

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football