Agent's Take: 2014 cap situation

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Agent's Take: 2014 cap situation

Postby DarthMonk » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:47 am

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... -situation

#8 Washington Redskins

Salary cap room: $28,055,889

Adjusted salary cap: $127,893,111

The Redskins will gain $14.5 million in cap room when the remaining years of four contracts (London Fletcher, Brandon Meriweather, Josh Morgan, Brian Orakpo) void a few days after the Super Bowl. The lack of 2013 and '14 first-round draft picks because of the Robert Griffin III trade increases the likelihood the Redskins will be aggressive in free agency.

The most important player headed to free agency is Orakpo. The two-time Pro Bowl outside linebacker has 10 sacks in his return from tearing his left pectoral muscle last season for a second time. Since Orakpo views himself as an elite pass rusher, it will probably require a long-term deal in excess of $10 million per year with over $30 million in guarantees to retain him. Using the franchise tag, which will be right around $11 million for linebackers, is also an option.

Revamping the secondary should be the top priority for the Redskins. The play of the safeties has been a long-standing issue for the Redskins. Jairus Byrd could be a possibility if the Buffalo Bills don't use a franchise tag on him for a second straight year.

The Redskins could also renew their pursuit of cornerback Aqib Talib, assuming he isn't designated as a franchise player by the New England Patriots. Talib was targeted in free agency this year but Washington's cap penalties were an obstacle in signing him. He could be looking for a contract between the Jason McCourty (slightly more than $8.6 million per year, $17 million in guarantees) and Brandon Carr/Cortland Finnegan neighborhoods ($10 million average per year, $26.5 million-$27 million in guarantees) provided he can regain the form he displayed early in the season before injuring his hip.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Re: Agent's Take: 2014 cap situation

Postby Neo » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:25 am

I hope Rak doesn't try to milk us in his new contract :(
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:52 am

Neo wrote:I hope Rak doesn't try to milk us in his new contract :(

Of COURSE he'll try. Wouldn't you?
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

~~~~~

Postby Warmother » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:50 am

Countertrey wrote:

Hopefully another team won't drive his cost way up. If we get him for 10 million a year I'm ok with it.
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the way I am."

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:00 am

Countertrey wrote:

Yep. Its going to be dicey, and I'm not optimistic. Clearly, we could afford him, but we have a lot of needs to fill this year.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:13 am

He's not worth $10M a year.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:12 pm

By letting sleepy Davis walk we don't save any money? I'm good w/ letting Wilson go, Amerson can play and we have a few people who should be able to fill the nickel roll
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:49 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:By letting sleepy Davis walk we don't save any money? I'm good w/ letting Wilson go, Amerson can play and we have a few people who should be able to fill the nickel roll

Davis and Wilson aren't under contract for next year, so we're not saving any money on them. They're already counted in the available cap space.

Has anybody taken a look at this tool yet?
http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=Redskins

You can "cut" players and extend certain free agents and see how it will affect the cap space. Kinda cool.

The crazy contract in here that stands out to me is Josh Morgan. You get $6.3m in additional cap space by letting him go, but add almost $4m in dead money which we've gotten away from. I wish he'd worked out better here.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:10 pm

The Hogster wrote:He's not worth $10M a year.

+ ∞
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:22 pm

riggofan wrote:
cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:By letting sleepy Davis walk we don't save any money? I'm good w/ letting Wilson go, Amerson can play and we have a few people who should be able to fill the nickel roll

Davis and Wilson aren't under contract for next year, so we're not saving any money on them. They're already counted in the available cap space.

Has anybody taken a look at this tool yet?
http://overthecap.com/calculator/?Team=Redskins

You can "cut" players and extend certain free agents and see how it will affect the cap space. Kinda cool.

The crazy contract in here that stands out to me is Josh Morgan. You get $6.3m in additional cap space by letting him go, but add almost $4m in dead money which we've gotten away from. I wish he'd worked out better here.

Very cool site. Makes me wish I had some time to play around with it!
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:49 pm

We sure do over pay our crappy oline! Trade cousins cut Morgan cut Chester extend hall maybe moss go HAM in fa! Lmao that's a fun site.. I'm glad numbers people will be handling it instead of me tho lmao
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby Neo » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:38 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:We sure do over pay our crappy oline! Trade cousins cut Morgan cut Chester extend hall maybe moss go HAM in fa! Lmao that's a fun site.. I'm glad numbers people will be handling it instead of me tho lmao

I'm wondering about cutting Morgan. I did like some of his flashes this season. Great 2nd efforts on getting those couple extra yards. That said, many of our WRs are complicated because of poor consistency.

A lot of folks also need to tamper their cap space excitement; we might have a ton of extra cash to build a team now, but we won't have the excess again when its time to resign them.

I really need to stop hoping we will fix all our issues in one offseason lol.
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:04 am

Neo wrote:
cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:We sure do over pay our crappy oline! Trade cousins cut Morgan cut Chester extend hall maybe moss go HAM in fa! Lmao that's a fun site.. I'm glad numbers people will be handling it instead of me tho lmao

I'm wondering about cutting Morgan. I did like some of his flashes this season. Great 2nd efforts on getting those couple extra yards. That said, many of our WRs are complicated because of poor consistency.

I'm with you man. I would hope our new HC at least takes a good look at him, maybe can get better production out of him. I've been struck by what a good person he is. He's a DC kid who has done an incredible amount of community and charity work while he's been here. Google that, and I think anybody would be impressed.

Obviously production on the field is most important, but I'd love to see him with a legit chance to be successful here.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football