Alfred Morris Next Year

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Alfred Morris Next Year

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:16 pm

Alfred Morris - RB - Redskins

Redskins OC Sean McVay expects the team's running game to be remain "very similar" under new coach Jay Gruden.

The Redskins are expected to keep their zone-blocking scheme and incorporate the same concepts they ran with Mike Shanahan, relying on a power running game from Alfred Morris and read-option plays with Robert Griffin III. Morris rushed for 2,888 yards in his first two seasons under Shanahan and will continue to be a big part of the offense, with Roy Helu likely remaining in a third down role. "I don’t think it will change a lot," McVay said. "The foundation and base principles will remain the same. He'll be the same guy."

Source: ESPN.com Jan 18 - 3:09 PM
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

||||||

Re: Alfred Morris Next Year

Postby EA7649 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:26 pm

Sounds good to me. I especially like Helu to be a 3rd down running back because he is a different type of runner.

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:35 pm

Honestly, as long as RGIII makes a full recovery (and I don't consider RGIII to have been "recovered" at any point last season), the offense really doesn't need to be changed significantly. And if you agree with that, you will also agree that MS didn't do that bad a job offensively in terms of player personnel prior to his firing.

Defense is another story. For me, Gruden is already on a short leash due to his keeping Haslett. Haslett is basically one of the worst DCs in the NFL.
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

#######

Postby The Hogster » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:40 pm

The only thing that should change should be how often he gets the damn ball. I am sick of him going 10 rushes for 70 yards in the first half, then going 5 rushes for 12 yards in the second. Maybe if we learn how to get a lead, we can get back to winning games balanced.
SPIT HAPPENS!!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:43 pm

markshark84 wrote:Defense is another story. For me, Gruden is already on a short leash due to his keeping Haslett. Haslett is basically one of the worst DCs in the NFL.

Your last statement has been debated to death on here, but I agree with you about the short leash. I think the team took a real gamble keeping Haslett around, no matter what the reasons have been for our poor defense the past few years. They're either going to look like geniuses at the end of the year, or its going to be a real blow to Gruden's credibility and Allen's, even more so.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:16 am

Alfred Morris has been "working on his receiving skills," and catching extra passes before each practice.

Morris has been working 1-on-1 with RBs coach Randy Jordan, but from the sound of things, is still quite raw. No matter how much work he puts in, it's hard to expect much pass-catching improvement from a player who has only 20 grabs through 32 career games.

Source: Washington Post Aug 12 - 9:36 PM

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:41 am

it's hard to expect much pass-catching improvement from a player who has only 20 grabs through 32 career games.

20 grabs out of how many targets? I don't remember him dropping too many. It's hard to catch it when they don't throw it to you.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:02 am

Alfred Morris has been "working on his receiving skills," and catching extra passes before each practice.

Morris has been working 1-on-1 with RBs coach Randy Jordan, but from the sound of things, is still quite raw. No matter how much work he puts in, it's hard to expect much pass-catching improvement from a player who has only 20 grabs through 32 career games.
Source: Washington Post Aug 12 - 9:36 PM

are you kidding me - if Morris shows the coaches that he can catch the ball, he will get more opportunities to do that - how is he mean't to improve if he doesn't work at it and why even imply that his hard work is going to waste ...

this rag keeps showing us how biased most of their 'reports' are ...
Griffin will become a really good QB but it's going to take time

We are lucky to have Cousins - hopefully he can continue to play well

HAIL

Week 3 - 27-21

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:13 am

Yeah, shame on you Washington Post for reporting that Morris is "raw" in his pass catching ability. What a rag. Bias!!! :D

In all seriousness man, Shanahan only called 28 passing plays to Morris in two years. Until we see Morris getting 65 targets a year like Shady McCoy, why would we have any reason to expect more out of the passing game from Morris? That's just fanboy homerism. Like predicting we're going to be 13-3 this year after we were 4-12 last year.

The Washington Post isn't the Redskins' PR department. I don't know why anyone wants or expects puff pieces from them or anyone else in the media.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:26 am

riggofan wrote:Like predicting we're going to be 13-3 this year after we were 4-12 last year.

You been time traveling? What year do you think this is?
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Aug 14, 2014 10:34 am

Deadskins wrote:
riggofan wrote:Like predicting we're going to be 13-3 this year after we were 4-12 last year.

You been time traveling? What year do you think this is?

Oh crap! Were we 3-13 last year???

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:13 pm

Btw Liz Clarke from that Wash Post rag was a lot more complimentary about Morris' receiving ability today:

The 5-foot-11, 224-pound Morris isn’t just churning up yardage on the ground at his customary clip; he’s also proving a sure-handed asset in the passing game — shining in one-on-one drills against linebackers.

“He’s catching everything,” says fullback Darrel Young, Morris’s burly blocker and biggest fan. “He’s on a hot streak right now, running his routes, doing the little things better.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/foo ... dens-eyes/

That's a really good article about Morris if you have time to read the entire piece.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:02 pm

The Hogster wrote:The only thing that should change should be how often he gets the damn ball. I am sick of him going 10 rushes for 70 yards in the first half, then going 5 rushes for 12 yards in the second. Maybe if we learn how to get a lead, we can get back to winning games balanced.

One does get tired of screaming "JUST RUN THE BALL KYLE" through the entire second half.. Kyle is addicted to getting cute.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:54 am

Speaking Thursday, Redskins coach Jay Gruden praised Alfred Morris, calling him "Steady Eddie" for his practice habits.

"Just about everything about him is an impressive to me — the way he prepares, the way he works, the way he practices," Gruden said.

Meanwhile, FB Darrel Young praised Morris' improvement as a pass catcher. "He’s catching everything," Young said. "He’s on a hot streak right now, running his routes, doing the little things better."

Although we still don't expect a meaningful role for Morris in passing situations, it's clear Gruden and Co. aren't going to shy away from him on early downs.

Morris could prove to be a high-end RB2 at a bargain.

Source: Washington Post Aug 14 - 2:54 PM

ESPN Redskins reporter John Keim is skeptical Alfred Morris will even catch 20-25 passes this season.

Morris' teammates have been talking up his alleged improvements in the pass game, but we've seen no evidence it's a reality. He's going to stick to his two-down role, which will also include goal-line work. Roy Helu is entrenched as the passing-down back with rookie Lache Seastrunk failing to make up ground there.

Source: ESPN.com Aug 14 - 11:40 PM

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We want heap more!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football