Robert Griffin Next Year

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Robert Griffin Next Year

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:17 pm

Robert Griffin III - QB - Redskins

New coach Jay Gruden said he will take advantage of Robert Griffin III's skills as a runner.

Back in the 2011 draft, Gruden pushed for the Bengals to pass on Colin Kaepernick in favor of Andy Dalton because he wasn't "into the read-option stuff." He's since changed his tune. "I would be foolish to try to turn RG3 into a pocket passer. It would be foolish," Gruden said. "The way he is as a runner, we have to take advantage of that. He strikes fear into defensive coordinators when he runs outside. I'm going to let him be himself." By the time Week 1 rolls around, Griffin will be roughly 21 months removed from his ACL surgery. He projects to record far more than the 37.6 rushing yards and zero rushing touchdowns he produced in 2013.

Source: SI.com Jan 20 - 10:04 AM
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Re: Robert Griffin Next Year

Postby Kilmer72 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:52 pm

DarthMonk wrote:Robert Griffin III - QB - Redskins

New coach Jay Gruden said he will take advantage of Robert Griffin III's skills as a runner.

Back in the 2011 draft, Gruden pushed for the Bengals to pass on Colin Kaepernick in favor of Andy Dalton because he wasn't "into the read-option stuff." He's since changed his tune. "I would be foolish to try to turn RG3 into a pocket passer. It would be foolish," Gruden said. "The way he is as a runner, we have to take advantage of that. He strikes fear into defensive coordinators when he runs outside. I'm going to let him be himself." By the time Week 1 rolls around, Griffin will be roughly 21 months removed from his ACL surgery. He projects to record far more than the 37.6 rushing yards and zero rushing touchdowns he produced in 2013.

I heard a little about that and people are speculating about why he would say that on 980. Going to be interesting to see how this plays out. If Robert is going to do that, he needs to learn how not to get hit. I think he will get tagged in the pocket and ruffed up. Just my opinion. also I read this
“You know what, I think a lot of people have asked about that, and I think that’s one of the things that makes Jay such a great coach,” McVay said. “You often talk about fitting players into your scheme; Jay is gonna fit his scheme to our players. And what we’ve been built to do, as far as the run game’s concerned, is kind of continue to run some of those outside zone principals, where we’re built to run and stretch people. And any time you have a dynamic threat at quarterback like Robert — you obviously want to be careful with how much you’re doing it — but it does put the pressure on a defense and sometimes regulates it. So I think you’ll see bits and pieces. And then we’ll obviously incorporate some of the things that he was able to have success with in Cincinnati, with what he was able to do with Andy and A.J. Green and Giovani Bernard, those types of guys. So he’ll do a great job of figuring out what’s best for our players and then fitting that scheme to them.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc- ... s-offense/

Which leads me to believe we will see most of the same Olineman still here.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:48 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:Which leads me to believe we will see most of the same Olineman still here.

... as do the Morris quotes in the other thread. Trent is locked. I think Licht is too though he may move over. It will be interesting to see whom we might pursue.

:-k
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Postby yupchagee » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:10 pm

This is what I like about a young coach. He's not too set in his ways to try something different.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

||||||

Postby EA7649 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:29 pm

yupchagee wrote:

This is what I like about a young coach. He's not too set in his ways to try something different.

Exactly. I like him saying the word foolish on turning him into a pocket passer. I'm sure he will get better in the pocket. But that's not why he was drafted second, to be a pocket passer. Him and his dad need to be less vocal with what they want it just starts trouble.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:23 am

DarthMonk wrote:
Kilmer72 wrote:Which leads me to believe we will see most of the same Olineman still here.

... as do the Morris quotes in the other thread. Trent is locked. I think Licht is too though he may move over. It will be interesting to see whom we might pursue.

:-k

Anthony Collins from the Bengals?

Postby skinsfan#33 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:26 pm

Whomever they have staying next year I just hope Morris doesn't have to contend with multiple defenders 3 out 4 yards deep in the backfield dozens of time in a game. He must lead th league in making something out of nothing.

I'm hopping we have improvements at RT and one or both of the guard spots. I would be nice if our OL could create a pocket for RG3 to step up into. I'm not talking on every passing play but how about more than half.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:03 am

There's no doubt IMO that we'll see a much improved offense and a lot better performance from RG3 this season ...

it might take a season or 2 for the O line to fully develop (& add depth) - having a really good QB & RB has to be a big help to any offensive scheme
Griffin can become a really good QB but it's going to take time

We are lucky to have Cousins - hopefully he can continue to play well

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:12 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote: I'm hopping we have improvements at RT and one or both of the guard spots. I would be nice if our OL could create a pocket for RG3 to step up into. I'm not talking on every passing play but how about more than half.

I think, at a minimum, RG and RT MUST be upgraded. LG would be great, but not mandatory, but depth is more critical.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby PAPDOG67 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:00 pm

Hopefully we can get a few guys from within to step up and fill those roles next season, possibly Compton, LeRibus, and/or Gettis.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:46 pm

PAPDOG67 wrote:Hopefully we can get a few guys from within to step up and fill those roles next season, possibly Compton, LeRibus, and/or Gettis.

Wasted draft picks if we don't!

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:38 pm

riggofan wrote:
PAPDOG67 wrote:Hopefully we can get a few guys from within to step up and fill those roles next season, possibly Compton, LeRibus, and/or Gettis.

Frankly, if they were likely to step up, I think we would have seen something by now.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:04 pm

the reality is that Jay is going to do the best he can with what he's got - we have to build an offensive line and we basically have 1 guy there - we do have RG3 and Alf plus some other weapons

it's going to take time to build the offense to where we can say we can consistently compete - we'll be OK as we have a really good QB but we just 'lost' a year because he was not prepared well enough to play last season and he was obviously not completely on board with the changes Mike & Kyle put in

we're lucky to have our franchise QB and he will lift the offense but it takes a long while to get the O line in shape to play together
Griffin can become a really good QB but it's going to take time

We are lucky to have Cousins - hopefully he can continue to play well

HAIL

Week 2 - 17-15

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:09 pm

Countertrey wrote:
riggofan wrote:

Frankly, if they were likely to step up, I think we would have seen something by now.

Man, I sure hope you're wrong about that.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:35 pm

^ so do I... but, these are positions that generally don't need a lot of development...

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football