Shawn Lauvao

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Shawn Lauvao

Postby riggofan » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:22 pm

John Keim ‏@john_keim 7m

Yes, another confirmation: Redskins have agreed to terms with G Shawn Lauvao. Heard that the Browns had really wanted him back too...

Hog

Re: Shawn Lauvao

Postby riggofan » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:25 pm

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 16m

Former Browns G Shawn Lauvao reached agreement on a 4-yr, $17M deal with the Washington Redskins, per sources.

Hog

Postby Neo » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:26 pm

Sorry for my ignorance. I don't know anything about this guy.

What's the verdict on this signing?
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:26 pm

Lauvao, 26, has started 44 games since the Browns make him their third-round pick in the 2010 draft. He started every game in 2011 and 2012 but he missed five games with ankle and thigh injuries last year.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:28 pm

I don't know much either, though he's kind of getting trashed on twitter. Bitter Browns fans I suppose... :)

This nugget is probably worth knowing though:

For the record, Shawn Lauvao's last name is pronounced Lah-VOW.

Hog

Postby Neo » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:29 pm

riggofan wrote:I don't know much either, though he's kind of getting trashed on twitter. Bitter Browns fans I suppose... :)

This nugget is probably worth knowing though:

For the record, Shawn Lauvao's last name is pronounced Lah-VOW.

LOL I'd say that says something good about him.

I mean could you imagine us doing that on Twitter about "losing" Fred Davis? :lol:

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:32 pm

Also a lot of Redskins fans upset that they don't know who he is. :) We demand name recognition in free agency!!!!

Shawn Lauvao
Height: 6-3 Weight: 315 Age: 26
Born: 10/26/1987 Honolulu , HI
College: Arizona State
Experience: 5th season
High School: Farrington HS [Honolulu, HI]

Hog

Postby Neo » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:35 pm

riggofan wrote:Also a lot of Redskins fans upset that they don't know who he is. :) We demand name recognition in free agency!!!!

Shawn Lauvao
Height: 6-3 Weight: 315 Age: 26
Born: 10/26/1987 Honolulu , HI
College: Arizona State
Experience: 5th season
High School: Farrington HS [Honolulu, HI]

LOL funny thing is that those same "fans" are probably the ones saying "here we go...going to overpay every big name like we always do and screw things up" LOL

Some folks you just can't reason with.

That said, I'm very pleased so far with the wisdom demonstrated in our approach to these FAs.

BTW, this Lauvao guy is big. Looks like our skinny linemen days are coming to an end :)

Last edited by Neo on Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby skinsfan#33 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:35 pm

riggofan wrote:
Lauvao, 26, has started 44 games since the Browns make him their third-round pick in the 2010 draft. He started every game in 2011 and 2012 but he missed five games with ankle and thigh injuries last year.

According to his rotoworld page in those 11 games he played he gave up 4 sacks and 18 QB hurries. Not what I would expect from a 4 year $17M player. But seriously don't know much else about him.
"Dovie'andi se tovya sagain"
(It is time to roll the dice) Tai'shar Manetheren

"Duty is heavier than a Mountain, Death is lighter than a feather" Tai'shar Malkier

RIP James Oliver Rigney, Jr. 1948-2007

Hog

Postby Neo » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:39 pm

skinsfan#33 wrote:
riggofan wrote:

According to his rotoworld page in those 11 games he played he gave up 4 sacks and 18 QB hurries. Not what I would expect from a 4 year $17M player. But seriously don't know much else about him.

Quick troll moment; those stats are still an upgrade for us :twisted:

Alright, I'll behave now...

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:43 pm

Well I would expect Gruden might know something about the Browns, so ok...

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:05 pm

That the Browns fans are trashing him doesn't really say much. I'm afraid the fact that the Browns coaches really wanted him back doesn't say too much, either.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:31 pm

riggofan wrote:Well I would expect Gruden might know something about the Browns, so ok...
This.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:16 pm

I'm really not very enthusiastic about this.

[*][*] Lauvao plays RG, we already have a RG. Chris Chester was a little rough last season, but he was excellent in 2012. According to PFF he was much better than Lauvao in 2013.
[*] Lauvao is one of the most heavily penalized linemen in football. He drew only 3 flags last season, but he missed a huge chunk of the season. In 2012 he was penalized 8 times (4th most in the league among guards), in 2011 he was penalized 11 times (#1).
[*] In three years, Lauvao has never finished a season graded in the positive by PFF. He's actually gotten worse, even accounting for his limited playing time in 2013.

I know he's more of a pass blocker, so maybe the idea of moving him to LG has some merit, but I'm not sold. It's hard to move positions on the line, especially a guy who's displayed a lack of mental discipline like Lauvao. If he's placed at RG, the situation becomes even more of a head scratcher, seeing as how Chester was fairly decent last season and excellent in the previous season. LG is the biggest weakness on the line. Hopefully Lauvao plugged that hole... but I'm not sold at all.
"Guess [Ryan Kerrigan] really does have a good motor. And is relentless. And never quits on a play. And just keeps coming. And probably eats Wheaties and drinks Apple Pie smoothies and shaves with Valvoline." -Dan Steinberg DC Sports Bog

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:51 pm

Good stuff on Lauvao from the Browns' "Film Room."

http://www.draftbrowns.com/2013/06/brow ... wn-lauvao/

An area where I felt that Lauvao showed flashes was in his ability as a puller. Although he was rarely used in this capacity, he showed impressive fluidity and athletic ability when getting out in front of the ball carrier. This may be a reason for the Browns taking a look at Lauvao as a left guard this offseason. Left guards are typically asked to pull on run plays much more often than right guards.

When Shawn Lauvao faces pass rushers that resort to using power against him, he typically does a decent job overall. Although Lauvao does not possess the strongest anchor in pass protection, he has a strong enough anchor to get by against most power rushers in a one-on-one setting.

Most of Shawn Lauvao’s struggles as a pass protector come when he faces quicker defensive linemen that use their athletic ability to beat offensive linemen laterally.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football