Draft.... what do the "experts" know...??

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
tribe
Location: SURF CITY, HB, CALI *** Occasionally flying into a SUPERNOVA

Draft.... what do the "experts" know...??

Postby tribeofjudah » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:51 am

So I just wanted to post a few predictions from "experts" about WHO the Skins will/might Draft this off season.

Let's see how accurate this is after May 10th. This is a crap-shoot.........and never a science...!!!

Round 2. If Washington is going to fill Fletcher's shoes in 2014, it needs to happen in the NFL draft. And without trying to sound like a broken record, Wisconsin’s Chris Borland is the guy.

Round 2. Washington : Kyle Van Noy , OLB , BYU
Round 2: Stephon Tuitt, DE, Notre Dame

Round 3. Washington : Ed Reynolds , FS , Stanford
Round 3: Shayne Skov, ILB, Stanford

Round 4: Craig Loston, S, LSU
Round 5: Michael Schofield, T, Michigan
Round 6: Bennett Jackson, CB, Notre Dame
Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.

Hog

Re: Draft.... what do the "experts" know...??

Postby riggofan » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:00 am

I'd guess with free agency winding down, the draft "experts" should be getting a little closer in their predictions.

ILB Chris Borland has been linked to the Skins since back in January at the Senior Bowl. CSN: "One of the players Allen and Co. watched closely and interviewed was Wisconsin’s Chris Borland, an inside linebacker talent evaluators have compared to Zach Thomas." Definitely a position of real need and a realistic possibility of drafting him. He may even be available in the 3d round.

I've seen a lot of mock drafts predicting Jimmie Ward, S, Northern Illinois lately. I don't know if that is based on any inside information or just everybody saying, "The Redskins have a need at safety, and this is the best guy who might be available".

Anybody know when the team can start bringing guys in for individual workouts?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:41 am

A month ago it looked like we would have to make a tough choice between addressing WR, S, or ILB. Now WR is set and I'd be shocked if we draft anything other than a late-round prospect. Safety is no longer a dire need, and with our youth needing more time to develop I could see the FO being patient and not taking one with our second-round pick.

That leaves ILB as our obvious need, perhaps with the possibility of drafting OL to push Chester for his job and/or provide more depth. Guards aren't usually drafted in the first round, so we should be able to pick up someone decent, if not the best available in the draft, with a high 2nd. OL or ILB, I don't think we can go wrong either way.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:14 am

Irn-Bru wrote:That leaves ILB as our obvious need, perhaps with the possibility of drafting OL to push Chester for his job and/or provide more depth. Guards aren't usually drafted in the first round, so we should be able to pick up someone decent, if not the best available in the draft, with a high 2nd. OL or ILB, I don't think we can go wrong either way.

Yeah I agree completely with your reasoning. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see OL or ILB drafted at that spot, especially as there should be some legit players available where they're not reaching.

For whatever reason, they just don't seem to have the urgency about a safety that the fans and media do. I'm not sure if its because they're more confident about what they already have or because they're planning to get a safety in the draft. Maybe that will change after OTAs once they see where Rambo and Thomas stand.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:55 am

Question.... You figure a real ILB/leader is a 2nd round prospect? I would guess they can be found in any round but for majority sakes.... When are they usually found?

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:53 pm

Kilmer72 wrote:Question.... You figure a real ILB/leader is a 2nd round prospect? I would guess they can be found in any round but for majority sakes.... When are they usually found?

Good question. Our two guys now Riley and Robinson are both fourth round picks. Zack Thomas from the Dolphins was a fifth rounder. Fletcher was a UFA, but he was kind of a freak. Here are some of the top ILBS from football nation:

Patrick Willis - first rounder
Navarro Bowman - third
Luke Kuechly - first
Daryl Smith - second
Brian Cushing - first
Paul Posluzny - second

What do would you make of that? Seems like the really elite, day one starters are usually first round picks though you could probably say that about most positions.

Kiper had both CJ Mosley and Borland going in the first round btw:
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/mock/

So if one of those guys drops to #34, you can still figure there is some talent there.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:57 pm

From what I can see, the First round will run to about the middle of the Second round this year... it is super deep. There is actually a chance... not much, but some... that Borland falls to us.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby emoses14 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:06 pm

I quickly saw a head count of ILB and OLB's on Tandler's sight this morning. I think the current combined number is 9 (five ILB likely to make it (3 new signees, Riley and Keenan Robinson) and 4 OLB). So my question is, do they pick up another ILB in the draft at that first pick (Borland or someone else, I haven't researched to know if there would be anyone else worth taking there)?
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:00 pm

emoses14 wrote:I quickly saw a head count of ILB and OLB's on Tandler's sight this morning. I think the current combined number is 9 (five ILB likely to make it (3 new signees, Riley and Keenan Robinson) and 4 OLB). So my question is, do they pick up another ILB in the draft at that first pick (Borland or someone else, I haven't researched to know if there would be anyone else worth taking there)?

That was a good article, and I had not thought much about the numbers. The deal was last year the team carried 5 outside and 4 inside LBs. This year so far they already have five likely to make the roster ILBs, but only four OLBs (Daryl Tapp has left). So I think what you're getting at is if you draft an ILB, either one of those current guys doesn't make the team or they have to carry ten LBs.

Keenan Robinson has been out forever. It will be interesting to see what happens with that guy.

Keenan Robinson ✔ @KeenanRobinson1

Feels great to be back in VA with the team. Looking forward to a great season #HTTR

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:06 pm

Countertrey wrote:From what I can see, the First round will run to about the middle of the Second round this year... it is super deep. There is actually a chance... not much, but some... that Borland falls to us.

I could see Borland falling to us. We do have a high second round pick.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Hog

Postby Mississippi Hog » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:08 pm

What about trading back 10 spots or so in the second and picking up another 3rd or 4th, or 2nd for next year? That is if we think we can still get some value in a mid-2nd round pick.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:58 pm

the way things are - we're picking the BPA at a position of need at #34 - unless there's no decent player available and with this draft that is HIGHLY unlikely
The Redskins need to change to improve - we need a better GM and we need to do a better job of who we bring in to coach and play here - players and coaches need to be held accountable when they do not do their jobs well

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:19 am

Mississippi Hog wrote:What about trading back 10 spots or so in the second and picking up another 3rd or 4th, or 2nd for next year? That is if we think we can still get some value in a mid-2nd round pick.

I've posted about this before, but there are some real possibilities for us to trade back in the second round. There are a couple teams (49ers, Browns for sure) with multiple second and third round picks who might be willing. Like some people have already noted, our #34 pick is pretty valuable.

If we can get good value - maybe picking up an extra second or third round pick like you've suggested - I think it would be an awesome move to trade down later in the second round.

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:43 am

riggofan wrote:
Mississippi Hog wrote:What about trading back 10 spots or so in the second and picking up another 3rd or 4th, or 2nd for next year? That is if we think we can still get some value in a mid-2nd round pick.

I've posted about this before, but there are some real possibilities for us to trade back in the second round. There are a couple teams (49ers, Browns for sure) with multiple second and third round picks who might be willing. Like some people have already noted, our #34 pick is pretty valuable.

If we can get good value - maybe picking up an extra second or third round pick like you've suggested - I think it would be an awesome move to trade down later in the second round.

Of course, it depends entirely on who is on the board at 34... there is a reasonable chance that there will be some top 20 talent still there... OTOH... it that happens, it just makes that pick all the more valuable to a team that thinks it's one piece shy...
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:37 pm

Countertrey wrote:Of course, it depends entirely on who is on the board at 34... there is a reasonable chance that there will be some top 20 talent still there... OTOH... it that happens, it just makes that pick all the more valuable to a team that thinks it's one piece shy...

::cough::cough::49ers::cough::cough

lol. No idea if they would actually make a move, but they fit with what you're saying. A team with a lot of draft picks who are in that elite/playoff mix already where it might make sense to move up and grab an exceptional player.

For the Redskins, needing to build some depth, it might be better to get two players at #56 and #61 than a single player at #34.

Who knows how it will play out, but as much as not having a first round pick sucks, that high second rounder has some value.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football