Andre Roberts Wonders About Role

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Andre Roberts Wonders About Role

Postby Neo » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:39 pm

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10767 ... rustrating

Sorry to make an entire thread about this, but I wanted to share this (didn't see if on the boards yet).

Anyway, Roberts being "frustrated" over us adding DJax and what that means for his role. Sorry, but that really gets under my skin.

Roberts, you want to be a #2, then SHOW US you're a #2. Force your couch to make you such by your performance. Otherwise, keep your mouth shut...no one is giving you anything you haven't earned.

There...better :)
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

||||||

Re: Andre Roberts Wonders About Role

Postby EA7649 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:01 pm

I don't blame him for feeling this way. I bet if he know what was going to happen he wouldn't have signed with us. In the CSNWashington article he criticized how we now have so many wide receivers being paid a lot.

I could be wrong, I am not a 100% knowledgeable about Robers. But I believe hearing experts saying he is a better slot receiver so it could be a blessing. Besides the point he will only have one man guarding him making it easier for him...

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:14 pm

EA7649 wrote:I don't blame him for feeling this way. I bet if he know what was going to happen he wouldn't have signed with us. In the CSNWashington article he criticized how we now have so many wide receivers being paid a lot. ...
... and if a frog had wings, it wouldn't bump it's ass when it landed... what a load. If he's good enough to take the position... then PROVE IT. Who cares what he would have done had he known?????
So What??? HE didn't know... the TEAM didn't know... so what???? Stuff happens... suck it up and deal.

I could be wrong, I am not a 100% knowledgeable about Robers. But I believe hearing experts saying he is a better slot receiver so it could be a blessing. Besides the point he will only have one man guarding him making it easier for him...
... a circumstance that most 2nd tier players would relish, instead of whining about.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

||||||

Postby EA7649 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:27 pm

Countertrey wrote:
EA7649 wrote:I don't blame him for feeling this way. I bet if he know what was going to happen he wouldn't have signed with us. In the CSNWashington article he criticized how we now have so many wide receivers being paid a lot. ...
... and if a frog had wings, it wouldn't bump it's ass when it landed... what a load. If he's good enough to take the position... then PROVE IT. Who cares what he would have done had he known?????
So What??? HE didn't know... the TEAM didn't know... so what???? Stuff happens... suck it up and deal.

... a circumstance that most 2nd tier players would relish, instead of whining about.

Oh I agree. I forgot to write that its not good hes complaining. And if I were him I'd be happy he'll be wide open...maybe help his catching (I read I believe in 2012, Roberts was one of if not the highest wide receiver for dropped passes) In the CSN article he took the high road saying please put be in Special Teams PR and KR I can do work if the balls in my hands.

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:48 am

Yeah, I read that yesterday, and I was like, WTF? How much people are getting paid might set the starting line-up at the beginning of training camp, but if you're the better player, it doesn't matter how much you're paid, you'll move up based on your play. smh
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:10 am

I wasn't happy to read that, but I think his frustration is understandable. No doubt the opportunity to be the #2 guy played a part in his decision to sign here. Its easy for us to say, "Go prove you can be that guy." But if you're not getting the balls because they're going mainly to DJax and Garcon, its going to be tough to show what you can do.

Not saying that is how it has to play out. The challenge is going to be on Gruden and RGIII to make sure they're spreading the ball around. (And hopefully not forgetting about Alfred Morris in the process!)

I do question Roberts talking about this at all in the press though. He'd better wake up and realize he's not in Arizona anymore. The media scrutinizes EVERYTHING here. You can't show people your new t-shirt logo without it turning into logogate. :)

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:50 pm

riggofan wrote:I wasn't happy to read that, but I think his frustration is understandable. No doubt the opportunity to be the #2 guy played a part in his decision to sign here. Its easy for us to say, "Go prove you can be that guy." But if you're not getting the balls because they're going mainly to DJax and Garcon, its going to be tough to show what you can do.

Not saying that is how it has to play out. The challenge is going to be on Gruden and RGIII to make sure they're spreading the ball around. (And hopefully not forgetting about Alfred Morris in the process!)

I do question Roberts talking about this at all in the press though. He'd better wake up and realize he's not in Arizona anymore. The media scrutinizes EVERYTHING here. You can't show people your new t-shirt logo without it turning into logogate. :)

I agree. It wasn't a great idea to say anything, but Roberts will have his chances to prove himself — just fewer than he thought.

I don't see what the big deal is. Even with Garcon and Jackson, Roberts could be a lethal threat from the slot. I thought that was the whole idea.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:01 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:
riggofan wrote:I wasn't happy to read that, but I think his frustration is understandable. No doubt the opportunity to be the #2 guy played a part in his decision to sign here. Its easy for us to say, "Go prove you can be that guy." But if you're not getting the balls because they're going mainly to DJax and Garcon, its going to be tough to show what you can do.

I agree. It wasn't a great idea to say anything, but Roberts will have his chances to prove himself — just fewer than he thought.

I don't see what the big deal is. Even with Garcon and Jackson, Roberts could be a lethal threat from the slot. I thought that was the whole idea.
Exactly. Gruden will be working to run a WCO, that will be game-planned to take advantage of the current opponent's vulnerabilities... some weeks, that will result in a ton of opportunities from the slot... others, not so much... but pass distribution will still be key to success... so, no matter what, the slot guy is going to get his chances.

Roberts frustration is understandable... but, dude... going public with the whine isn't going to score any extra touches...

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:17 pm

He just wants the ball. I am sure he will get plenty. With all the weapons we have now including Reed and Moss and Helu getting some grabs, it will be hard to keep them all happy unless we are winning.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:41 pm

After actually reading the article, I don't think he came off as rude as some of y'all painted it.. its all about context and nothing he said was false. The questions that led to those answers were conveniently left out, probably because they were fishing for a certain type of answer, to build a "story". As always we will see how it pans out, but I see this as a nonissue taken overboard like everything in DC regarding what a player "says".
Hopefully he's our man in the return game, and he can learn the slot from tanna and be a big part of our success for years to come.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby riggofan » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:10 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:After actually reading the article, I don't think he came off as rude as some of y'all painted it.. its all about context and nothing he said was false. The questions that led to those answers were conveniently left out, probably because they were fishing for a certain type of answer, to build a "story". As always we will see how it pans out, but I see this as a nonissue taken overboard like everything in DC regarding what a player "says".

No doubt man. Its amazing that players are even remotely willing to speak with the local media here. They make a big deal out of everything, especially at this time of the year when there isn't much of real interest going on.

Hog

Postby Neo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:01 pm

I liked what B Mitch was saying about him yesterday. That with People preoccupied with Garcon & Djax, Roberts is going to have all the opportunities he needs to get targeted.

From what B Mitch was saying about Roberts' potential as a dominant slot guy, he could be our new Fred Davis (the Davis who was a key piece to our offense a few years ago).

Plus, as cowboykillerz said, hopefully he's our man in the return game.
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:26 pm

Neo wrote:I liked what B Mitch was saying about him yesterday. That with People preoccupied with Garcon & Djax, Roberts is going to have all the opportunities he needs to get targeted.

From what B Mitch was saying about Roberts' potential as a dominant slot guy, he could be our new Fred Davis (the Davis who was a key piece to our offense a few years ago).

Plus, as cowboykillerz said, hopefully he's our man in the return game.
All of which is exactly like he just needs to shut up and let it come to him.

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:07 pm

Andre Roberts - WR - Redskins

The Redskins are considering using Andre Roberts on kick returns.

It's not an ideal role for Roberts, who averaged a measly 22.4 yards on kick returns in his first two seasons with the Cardinals. Roberts dropped from the Redskins' No. 2 to No. 3 receiver when Washington signed DeSean Jackson, so the team may now be willing to use him more on special teams. Chris Thompson, Richard Crawford, and Niles Paul are also candidates to contribute in the return game.

Source: ESPN.com Apr 19 - 4:07 PM
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:34 pm

EA7649 wrote:
Countertrey wrote:

Oh I agree. I forgot to write that its not good hes complaining. And if I were him I'd be happy he'll be wide open...maybe help his catching (I read I believe in 2012, Roberts was one of if not the highest wide receiver for dropped passes) In the CSN article he took the high road saying please put be in Special Teams PR and KR I can do work if the balls in my hands.

He's going to get competition anywhere he goes. I know you're agreeing with that.

One thing that was so impressive of the rookie, pre-hurt Griffin remember was that he really spread the ball around. It's not like back in the day when Jason Campbell who only threw in the dirt in the front of only two receivers. Roberts will get lots of chances, he needs to be focus on being ready for them.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football