Would Brandon Flowers be a good fit with the Skins?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
piggie

Would Brandon Flowers be a good fit with the Skins?

Postby jr_uscg » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:26 am

We are still thin at the corner-back position, how about the newly released pro-bowler Brandon Flowers. There has been some chatter that the skins are interested. Does anyone know why they are releasing him?
Semper Paratus
Hail to the Redskins

kazoo

Re: Would Brandon Flowers be a good fit with the Skins?

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:38 pm

jr_uscg wrote:We are still thin at the corner-back position, how about the newly released pro-bowler Brandon Flowers. There has been some chatter that the skins are interested. Does anyone know why they are releasing him?

As always, cap. We should certainly explore, but not overpay
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:09 pm

No way we can afford Flowers. I like him and all but just don't see it being possible.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:25 pm

They let him go because they favour bigger CBs and he doesn't fit their new system apparently.

Weird...

He's a top, top CB. Would love to have him here.

Release Chester, renegotiate Bowen - they can make it happen if they really want him, but I'm sure plenty of teams will be interested...
Here It Comes Again: Worst to First Baby!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:18 pm

SouthLondonRedskin wrote:They let him go because they favour bigger CBs and he doesn't fit their new system apparently.

Weird...

He's a top, top CB. Would love to have him here.

Release Chester, renegotiate Bowen - they can make it happen if they really want him, but I'm sure plenty of teams will be interested...

Yeah I don't know if he's worth it, but I agree they still can make some moves if they wanted to make something happen.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:38 am

What about all the investment we have already made at the position? I think the staff is happy w who we have and who is competing for the depth. The type of money Flowers is gonna go for just doesn't make sense imo. I jus don't see the coaches "making the moves" needed to free up the $, with all the young talent competing at the position.. like KC, if he was taller/ or faster or a total ballhawk I might consider it. Carr was the better of the two I think
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:50 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:What about all the investment we have already made at the position? I think the staff is happy w who we have and who is competing for the depth. The type of money Flowers is gonna go for just doesn't make sense imo. I jus don't see the coaches "making the moves" needed to free up the $, with all the young talent competing at the position.. like KC, if he was taller/ or faster or a total ballhawk I might consider it. Carr was the better of the two I think

Well I think there's definitely room for a top CB to come in still. Amerson needs to play for sure, 2nd year is a big one for a CB and he's going to go from strength to strength this year I think. Hall is good and a leader out there, so he plays. Porter has come in to play slot, but this is like his 3rd team in 3 years, so question marks hang over him, I just don't know how good he's going to be. So considering how many 3 & 4 WR sets they face nowadays (approx 65% of plays the D faced last season) you need to carry 3 good starting calibre CBs.

And I fear if Amerson or Hall gets injured we're in trouble.

Breeland could be the steal of the draft for us, but we need to file him away until 2015 and not have to rely on him too early. I like Richard Crawford a lot, he needs a lot of developing though and is recovering from a nasty injury. Minnifield is a talent and I know a lot of people want to see him succeed (me included) but we can't be counting on him to start (if he makes the 53) as he has no NFL experience yet. Is Biggers still around..?? Did I miss anyone..???

So Flowers and Amerson with Hall at slot? Sounds stronger to me...

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:40 pm

I hear Ya. But wouldn't taking him make the Porter signing bad all the cb picks we used in the past couple drafts be for nought? I'm not arguing that gery wouldn't be an upgrade out there, just that from a fo perspective we have already made some investments at the position and it'd be crazy to make a serious investment when we have our own guys developing.
Flowers to me would equal him and hall starting Amerson the nickel back.. I mean they are probowl cbs so they'd rightfully be your 1&2. I have a feeling some desperate team is going to over pay the man and I'd be happy if it wasn't us is my point really. Lmao. The man ks skilled but not so much more then what we have to make me jump at it

Hog

Postby SouthLondonRedskin » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:55 am

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:I hear Ya. But wouldn't taking him make the Porter signing bad all the cb picks we used in the past couple drafts be for nought? I'm not arguing that gery wouldn't be an upgrade out there, just that from a fo perspective we have already made some investments at the position and it'd be crazy to make a serious investment when we have our own guys developing.
Flowers to me would equal him and hall starting Amerson the nickel back.. I mean they are probowl cbs so they'd rightfully be your 1&2. I have a feeling some desperate team is going to over pay the man and I'd be happy if it wasn't us is my point really. Lmao. The man ks skilled but not so much more then what we have to make me jump at it

Yeah, I hear you, and I don't think they will go after him becasue of that. My point was I still think we're thin at CB, just hope they stay fit and healthy!

**LPJ**

Postby langleyparkjoe » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:34 am

No brainer here, if we can afford him we need to grab him.
I'm still not convinced we have enough DB talent as it stands.
Hog Bowl I Champion (2009)
Hog Bowl II Champion 2010- Cappster
Hog Bowl III Champion 2011- DarthMonk
Hog Bowl IV Champion 2012- Deadskins
Hog Bowl V Champion 2013- DarthMonk

DC Area, I support you.. Unconditionally
When I die, remember me as one loyal S.O.B.!

Hog

Postby Kilmer72 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:36 pm

Maybe it is just me but I think we have corners. If he was a free saftey then I get it. Go for it. Pass rush will fix most problems. Saftey is still an issue. I also think we will be pleasantly surprised
about Brandon Meriweather this year. He is coming off a year where he was injured the year before last. My only problem with him is I think he is too small for strong saftey but as long is he is healthy... I'm not worried about corner.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:11 pm

I'm a Minnifield hold out Kilmer so Im w you.. Hall has been great. Shuts down big names scoring more than our O could in the first half..
Amerson is a future great so long as he keeps progressing at the rate he has, solid #2
Tracy Porter was decent my brother is an oaktown fan so I know the name.. he could even spell either of our starters solid nickel back
Then we have solid back ups and special teams guys in Crawford, Brieland (? The rook w solid camp) and Chase.

Even at safety I think things are looking up with Thomas returning and Rambo having a solid Vet to shadow in year two.
Bottom line is our DBs have been upgraded aabout as much as we could hope for in one off season. Now it's going to be scheme and cohesion to see where they take us. Our pass rush being upgraded on paper as well, will make the group look better out of the gates.?

With all that said I just don't see the roi on bringing in Flowers. He is going to be looking for a Patterson/Sherman type of contract and imo he just isn't on that level.
For the amount of money wed have to spend I'd want an instant game changer like the DJax deal for our O.

Can anyone make the case for Flowers that HE IS that game changer we need on D?

JSPB22

Postby Deadskins » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:52 am

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:Can anyone make the case for Flowers that HE IS that game changer we need on D?

Flowers' agent.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:15 pm

I have been told by KC fans that he's pretty overrated. That being said, he would a great get DEPENDING on price. There is a reason he was released. He's 28 and at 5'9, 187, his coverage is dependent on speed. He'll want a huge contract knowing it will be his last good opportunity for one. I'd like to have him, but not at a $10M/year price tag (most likely what he wants) --- in fact, I'd want him for much much less than that. If we can't get a decent deal on him (and if he really has 10 teams after him, it doesn't look like that is a possibility), I'd pass.

Then again, after what our needs are and how we drafted ---- I don't think this team is paying any attention to the state of our defense as it is........
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football