USPTO Cancels Redskins Trademarks

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 4678
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

USPTO Cancels Redskins Trademarks

Postby riggofan » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:32 am

No doubt this will be appealed, but this is an interesting wrinkle in the name controversy.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2014/06/ ... w.facebook

LANHAM, Md. (CBSDC) — The United States Patent and Trademark Office canceled six federal trademarks held by the Washington Redskins involving the team’s name in a potentially landmark ruling issued Wednesday morning.

The cancellations are pending, according to the USPTO, and the Redskins are likely to appeal the decision.

The board wrote the following in its opinion: “We decide, based on the evidence properly before us, that these registrations must be cancelled because they were disparaging to Native Americans at the respective times they were registered.”

The team has not responded to a request for comment.

Redskins owner Daniel Snyder has vowed to never change the team name.

This story will be updated.

||||||
Posts: 1620
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 2:55 pm
Location: Below the Appalachian Trail

Re: USPTO Cancels Redskins Trademarks

Postby EA7649 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:55 am

Well this definitely hurts the credentials for the redskins argument. I was going to say, that its sad that the redskins are only getting attention bc of this nationwide argument. But than thought, the team has been getting attention, since drafting Griffen III has been on the team.

Let the more court hearings begin...

piggie
User avatar
Posts: 197
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:52 pm

Re: USPTO Cancels Redskins Trademarks

Postby hanburgerheel » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:31 am

Misplaced White Guilt is so pathetic. It's always too late to truly make amends, or -heaven forbid- not make the mistake in the first place. 5 generations later, you get a handful who are politically-connected and they influence certain people. Meanwhile, another "group" is being screwed-over by those same people and no one has any issue with that!

---
User avatar
Posts: 18570
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Re: USPTO Cancels Redskins Trademarks

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:31 am

EA7649 wrote:Well this definitely hurts the credentials for the redskins argument. I was going to say, that its sad that the redskins are only getting attention bc of this nationwide argument. But than thought, the team has been getting attention, since drafting Griffen III has been on the team.

Let the more court hearings begin...



This situation has revealed some truths about Snyder and this organization.


1. Snyder is still an idiot.
2. Bruce Allen and company are "yes men".


Snyder has totally screwed himself. He's been overly demonstrative in his unwillingness to listen. The words and tone of his messages have done nothing but fuel the fire. The twitter campaigns from this organization have backfired and were stupid to begin with. If the NYPD and other organizations haven't taught their PR dept anything, nothing will. SOMEBODY has to grow a pair of balls and Bruce Allen isn't that man. Snyder as usual is his own worst enemy. He cannot protect himself, from himself. Nobody can protect this team from him either. They're all too scared.

This was a bad situation to begin with, but I feel that if he'd simply STFU and not be so abrasive, it would have ended in a stale-mate. But his brashness has forced the fence sitters against him. It's forced people who didn't really give a darn either way to spite him, because he's uber insensitive. He's a moron. And all he did was appease a fanbase that loves him one day and will hate him the other. They're fickle, and he sold out for them and he's gonna lose. He's gonna lose the name, the money and the fanbase. Why? Because he's an idiot and nobody is willing to tell him that he doesn't know it all.

- Dan Snyder, you're a failure. But we already knew that.
- Bruce Allen, I had hopes. But you sir have failed too.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 4678
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:29 pm
Location: Montclair, Virginia

Re: USPTO Cancels Redskins Trademarks

Postby riggofan » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:35 am

I don't know if it hurts the Redskins' argument or not. My guess is that people have made their minds up about the name no matter what the USPTO decides. But the opinion of the PTO is definitely more important to Dan Snyder than public opinion or any polls people want to cite:

"If the name, after all appeals, is deemed to not be protected by trademark laws, anyone and everyone will be able to sell merchandise bearing the name and colors without the team having the ability to enforce its rights through legal action."

||||||
Posts: 1620
Joined: Wed May 04, 2005 2:55 pm
Location: Below the Appalachian Trail

Re: USPTO Cancels Redskins Trademarks

Postby EA7649 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:40 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
EA7649 wrote:Well this definitely hurts the credentials for the redskins argument. I was going to say, that its sad that the redskins are only getting attention bc of this nationwide argument. But than thought, the team has been getting attention, since drafting Griffen III has been on the team.

Let the more court hearings begin...



This situation has revealed some truths about Snyder and this organization.


1. Snyder is still an idiot.
2. Bruce Allen and company are "yes men".


Snyder has totally screwed himself. He's been overly demonstrative in his unwillingness to listen. The words and tone of his messages have done nothing but fuel the fire. The twitter campaigns from this organization have backfired and were stupid to begin with. If the NYPD and other organizations haven't taught their PR dept anything, nothing will. SOMEBODY has to grow a pair of balls and Bruce Allen isn't that man. Snyder as usual is his own worst enemy. He cannot protect himself, from himself. Nobody can protect this team from him either. They're all too scared.

This was a bad situation to begin with, but I feel that if he'd simply STFU and not be so abrasive, it would have ended in a stale-mate. But his brashness has forced the fence sitters against him. It's forced people who didn't really give a darn either way to spite him, because he's uber insensitive. He's a moron. And all he did was appease a fanbase that loves him one day and will hate him the other. They're fickle, and he sold out for them and he's gonna lose. He's gonna lose the name, the money and the fanbase. Why? Because he's an idiot and nobody is willing to tell him that he doesn't know it all.

- Dan Snyder, you're a failure. But we already knew that.
- Bruce Allen, I had hopes. But you sir have failed too.


Good point I agree. I think it could be all about Snyder's pride. He didn't want to be wrong and wanted to stand up for something he believed in (which is an American right), but he made himself underwater and now it escalated far beyond where it should have went.

|||
Posts: 4309
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:34 am
Location: SANTA ANA,CA

Re: USPTO Cancels Redskins Trademarks

Postby HEROHAMO » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:09 am

Goes to show how Congress always wants there way or else. Freaking A man.

The front office issued a statement saying this action the USPTO has taken will not affect any descision with our team going forward. All though I doubt it.

Then again I hope this just goes away. Most likely years and years in court.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

Hog
User avatar
Posts: 864
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:51 pm
Location: Staten Island

Re: USPTO Cancels Redskins Trademarks

Postby PAPDOG67 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:14 am

Chris Luva Luva wrote:
EA7649 wrote:Well this definitely hurts the credentials for the redskins argument. I was going to say, that its sad that the redskins are only getting attention bc of this nationwide argument. But than thought, the team has been getting attention, since drafting Griffen III has been on the team.

Let the more court hearings begin...



If the NYPD and other organizations haven't taught their PR dept anything, nothing will.


Just curious how the NYPD plays into this?

cappster
Posts: 2984
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 10:25 am
Location: Humanist, at your service.

Re: USPTO Cancels Redskins Trademarks

Postby Cappster » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:30 am

The writing is on the wall, fellas. The name is going to go away...it's just a matter of time.
Sapphire AMD Radeon R9 280x, FTW!

Hog Bowl II Champion (2010)

---
User avatar
Posts: 18570
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Re: USPTO Cancels Redskins Trademarks

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:52 am

HEROHAMO wrote:Goes to show how Congress always wants there way or else. Freaking A man.


If Snyder had shut up, I doubt they would have even said a word.


Cappster wrote:The writing is on the wall, fellas. The name is going to go away...it's just a matter of time.


Yep.


PAPDOG67 wrote:Just curious how the NYPD plays into this?


Google NYPD's failed twitter campaign. Google the Skins failed twitter campaign. Compare.
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

Hog
Online
User avatar
Posts: 2012
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:36 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: USPTO Cancels Redskins Trademarks

Postby emoses14 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:25 pm

This ruling from the USPTO will end up being overturned on appeal much like it was the last time. I could care less what congress has to say about the matter. Unless and until they pass a law banning the use of the name, all of this is puffery. I'll need to compare this ruling to the last USPTO ruling wherein the name was denied trademark protection, but if there isn't significant difference between the evidence used to substantiate this ruling as compared to the prior ruling, the appeal will turn out the same way.

I'd love to know how you, Chris, have such an insight into whether or not Bruce is a "yes man". I do not question your insight that Snyder is an idiot for even opening his mouth in the first place, cause, that's just obvious. Snyder will have only screwed himself if and when a final, non-appealable decision stripping the name of any trademark protection has been handed down and/or enough people boycott the skins as to ACTUALLY CAUSE A DENT (i mean a big one, too) IN TEAM REVENUE. Until that time, he's still sitting pretty.
I know he got a pretty good zip on the ball. He has a quick release. . . once I seen a coupla' throws, I was just like 'Yeah, he's that dude.'"

-Santana Moss on Our QB

---
User avatar
Posts: 18570
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2003 12:55 pm
Location: AJT

Re: USPTO Cancels Redskins Trademarks

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:59 pm

emoses14 wrote:I'd love to know how you, Chris, have such an insight into whether or not Bruce is a "yes man". I do not question your insight that Snyder is an idiot for even opening his mouth in the first place, cause, that's just obvious. Snyder will have only screwed himself if and when a final, non-appealable decision stripping the name of any trademark protection has been handed down and/or enough people boycott the skins as to ACTUALLY CAUSE A DENT (i mean a big one, too) IN TEAM REVENUE. Until that time, he's still sitting pretty.


Bruce is a "yes man" for the very reason you agree with me. Dan is opening his mouth... Bruce needs to keep his pitbull on a leash. As team president, I would absolutely hope that he has the gonads to tell Snyder that he's making it worse. OR... Maybe you're right. Maybe Bruce isn't a yes man and he's simply just as dumb as Snyder is. That's totally possible. I get it, Dan's an owner, he can do whatever he wants... And that's why this situation is getting worse.

The NFL won't take much more of this negative publicity. They go out of their way to squash it and with Snyder CONSTANTLY blowing oxygen on the flames by opening his mouth, I believe the league will not continue to back him with their silence on the issue. Especially in the wake of the Donald Sterling fiasco...
Fios - Arbiter of All Positive Knowledge

Kaz - "Was kinda obvious since we all know you're not a moron"

FanFromAnnapolis
Posts: 11062
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:01 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Re: USPTO Cancels Redskins Trademarks

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:09 pm

I don't see it that way, CLL. I think early on Snyder really screwed things up, talking off the cuff and whatnot. But since then the Redskins have gotten their story straight and have presented a much more organized front from a PR standpoint. The foundation was kind of a mix between the two "eras" in the way the Redskins have handled the controversy, but by the time of Bruce Allen's letter in reply to Senator Reid I think they had basically gotten a handle on things.

This trademark ruling doesn't really have to do with whether the team can keep the team name. And the fact that it was struck down will result in more Redskins merchandise and branding going on, not less . . . so it won't even have done anything to help the anti- cause in the end.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

FanFromAnnapolis
Posts: 11062
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 6:01 pm
Location: on the bandwagon

Re: USPTO Cancels Redskins Trademarks

Postby Irn-Bru » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:10 pm

Cappster wrote:The writing is on the wall, fellas. The name is going to go away...it's just a matter of time.


I disagree. This is not obvious at all. The issue seems to be up the air still.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

CKRGiii
Posts: 4581
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:56 pm
Location: 505 New Mexico repn

Re: USPTO Cancels Redskins Trademarks

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:45 pm

I agree an all points Irn-Bru...
Let's not forget that the skins will appeal and most likely win.

Brands like FUBU crackerjack etc would be in jeopardy of losing their copy right protection as well.. this ruling is anti g but constitutional and should be a cold day in hell when it is ever upheld.

I see this a a political jab back at Snyder.. nothing more. We are no closer to changing OUR name than we were yesterday imho..
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football