Morgan Moses struggling

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Morgan Moses struggling

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:46 pm

Morgan Moses - T

The Washington Post leaves the door open for the Redskins to possibly cut third-round OT Morgan Moses.

Beat writer Mike Jones does write that it would be "hard to see them giving up on a third-round pick this quickly." But Moses is having trouble adjusting to the speed and strength of NFL pass rushers. Tom Compton has outplayed Moses as the No. 3 tackle behind starters LT Trent Williams and RT Tyler Polumbus.

Moses' name was brought up as a potential first- or second-rounder before going 66th overall to Washington. He may be a weekly scratch in year one.

Source: Washington Post Jul 29 - 1:27 PM
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Re: Offensive line

Postby riggofan » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:54 am

There's been a lot written about Moses struggling since he was drafted. I just can't see him not making the team. Deservedly or not, how would Allen/Gruden explain THAT?

He's a smart guy with all of the physical tools. If he needs a year to develop, so be it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:10 am

riggofan wrote:There's been a lot written about Moses struggling since he was drafted. I just can't see him not making the team. Deservedly or not, how would Allen/Gruden explain THAT?

He's a smart guy with all of the physical tools. If he needs a year to develop, so be it.

Moses is not making the team if these guys do not feel he can 'play' soon - we do not have the luxury of waiting a year ...

the offensive line needs a huge makeover and it will take time - if they think he's not good enough, he's gone
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:38 am

SkinsJock wrote:
riggofan wrote:There's been a lot written about Moses struggling since he was drafted. I just can't see him not making the team. Deservedly or not, how would Allen/Gruden explain THAT?

Moses is not making the team if these guys do not feel he can 'play' soon - we do not have the luxury of waiting a year ...

the offensive line needs a huge makeover and it will take time - if they think he's not good enough, he's gone

Give me a break. That's ridiculous. How many offensive linemen are drafted in the third round and start that same year? We have four or five guys we've drafted who have been here three years and haven't been starters yet.

We actually DO have the luxury of waiting a year. We have a serviceable starting right tackle and a pro bowl left tackle. There is no problem with Moses being a backup this year.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny

|||

Postby HEROHAMO » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:20 am

SkinsJock wrote:

Your contradicting yourself. You say it will take time. Yet you are advocating cutting Moses. I think he needs more time to develop and heal from injury. The main reason he dropped in the draft was because he was injured I believe. I think he needs time. By year two if no improvements have been made then I can see cutting him maybe.
Sean Taylor starting free safety Heavens team!

21 Forever

"The show must go on."

the 'mudge

Re: Morgan Moses struggling

Postby Countertrey » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:00 am

I don't see them cutting him this year.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby PAPDOG67 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:49 am

Get this guy into the weight room for a full season and see where we are at. A lot of rookies come in severely out of shape in terms of the speed and strength needed to compete day in and day out on the NFL level......much like college freshman who need to adjust from the HS game. It doesn't mean they are no good, they just need a year of NFL strength and conditioning. Sounds to me like he will be red-shirted.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:56 am

HEROHAMO wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:

Your contradicting yourself. You say it will take time. Yet you are advocating cutting Moses. I think he needs more time to develop and heal from injury. The main reason he dropped in the draft was because he was injured I believe. I think he needs time. By year two if no improvements have been made then I can see cutting him maybe.

No! - if they don't think he's going to make it they're not keeping him just because of where he was drafted is what I'm saying

I do think it's going to take a lot longer than some here think to have a good offensive line here again

IMO - this new staff is going to be very motivated and not scared to get rid of players that don't fit what they need to do no matter where or who brought them in
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:58 pm

riggofan wrote:
SkinsJock wrote:

Give me a break. That's ridiculous. How many offensive linemen are drafted in the third round and start that same year? We have four or five guys we've drafted who have been here three years and haven't been starters yet.

We actually DO have the luxury of waiting a year. We have a serviceable starting right tackle and a pro bowl left tackle. There is no problem with Moses being a backup this year.

I totally agree Riggo. This is what I was going to post as well, and I saw you already did it.

You're just wrong on this one Jock. Clearly we can just not activate him for one year and give him time to strengthen and study up. Based on all the film they watched and how high they drafted him, I can't believe we would not do that. If we are having this conversation next year, then cutting him starts to become plausible. But with all they had to see on tape not giving him a year on a third round salary? That is inconceivable. And that word, it does mean what I think it means...
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:01 pm

SkinsJock wrote:No! - if they don't think he's going to make it they're not keeping him just because of where he was drafted is what I'm saying

Again, they watch a lot of tape. To use that high a pick and not give him one year? It's ridiculous. He will be on the team. He just may never be activated this year.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:54 pm

I hope he's good enough to help out because we need him - he does not need to be very good to be better than the guys that played his position last season

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:16 pm

riggofan wrote:There's been a lot written about Moses struggling since he was drafted.

from what I've been reading lately a lot of the reports about Moses were just BS and IMO just a result of 'reporters' opinions and certainly not the opinions of the coaching staff - sure, he's a work in progress but he's not in any danger of not making the team - he looks like being able to be an adequate back up lineman - I was led to believe he was struggling but that is not what the coaches were seeing - good for him - we need players like this that are intelligent and like to listen to their coaches

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:23 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
riggofan wrote:There's been a lot written about Moses struggling since he was drafted.

from what I've been reading lately a lot of the reports about Moses were just BS and IMO just a result of 'reporters' opinions and certainly not the opinions of the coaching staff - sure, he's a work in progress but he's not in any danger of not making the team - he looks like being able to be an adequate back up lineman - I was led to believe he was struggling but that is not what the coaches were seeing - good for him - we need players like this that are intelligent and like to listen to their coaches

lol. You're the only person I've seen suggest he might not make the team! :) All the reports I've read were just that he didn't look ready to be a starter yet. That seems to have been accurate and seems like the coaches have been agreement with that so far as well.

I think the reports about Moses were mostly just responding to fans' hopes that he would beat Polumbus out for the starting RT job as a rookie. That doesn't seem very likely from how he's performed so far.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:17 pm

Cooley had nothing but good things to say when he was on the field (so far) stating at one point "im impressed I never would've thought he had that kind of move in him," might not be verbatim but thats what I was left with..

For a third rounder (we can say 2nd round talent due to some scouting reports/ mock drafts) he is performing at or above expectations.. doode has some work to do in order to break into the starting line-up, and is currently a better back up then some of the other guys we have. I think to plug a rookie olinemen in as a starter, game one, it most surely is a first round pick..
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:34 pm

DarthMonk wrote:
Morgan Moses - T

The Washington Post leaves the door open for the Redskins to possibly cut third-round OT Morgan Moses.

Beat writer Mike Jones does write that it would be "hard to see them giving up on a third-round pick this quickly." But Moses is having trouble adjusting to the speed and strength of NFL pass rushers. Tom Compton has outplayed Moses as the No. 3 tackle behind starters LT Trent Williams and RT Tyler Polumbus.

Moses' name was brought up as a potential first- or second-rounder before going 66th overall to Washington. He may be a weekly scratch in year one.

Source: Washington Post Jul 29 - 1:27 PM

hey riggofan - maybe you should check the original post by DM ... :lol:

I have never thought Moses should be cut - my opinion back then was based on stupid & uneducated 'reports' :roll:

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football