On Paper...

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
goskins

On Paper...

Postby GoSkins » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:39 am

My view is this is the best Redskins team on paper since Gibbs I's teams. The only areas where we have ?s is the guard positions and ROT on Offense. Our secondary is much improved with Clark and Breeland and our LBs and DL are strong. I would say our WRs are in the top 2-3 in the NFL and Morris is a stud. RGIII will regain his form with Gruden's help. Gruden is untested but he reminds me of Gibbs; both are wizards with the offense. Also look for our special teams to be much, much improved with an upgrade in talent and coaching (Kotwica).

Your thoughts?

kazoo

Re: On Paper...

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:22 pm

GoSkins wrote:My view is this is the best Redskins team on paper since Gibbs I's teams. The only areas where we have ?s is the guard positions and ROT on Offense. Our secondary is much improved with Clark and Breeland and our LBs and DL are strong. I would say our WRs are in the top 2-3 in the NFL and Morris is a stud. RGIII will regain his form with Gruden's help. Gruden is untested but he reminds me of Gibbs; both are wizards with the offense. Also look for our special teams to be much, much improved with an upgrade in talent and coaching (Kotwica).

Your thoughts?

I hope so, but I can't agree until I see the OL and secondary actually play better.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby riggofan » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:01 pm

I'm as big a homer as they come, but not sure I'm buying THIS much optimism. :)

I really am excited about the possibilities with RGIII, Morris and this receiving corps though. We'll see how it plays out, but I think the offense could be special and be a big surprise.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:17 am

Yeah - most of us are tired of how 'great' we look "on paper" - the possibilities are always so promising this time of year

reality comes to town this week ... :)
Griffin will become a really good QB but it's going to take time

We are lucky to have Cousins - hopefully he can continue to play well

HAIL

Week 3 - 27-21

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:40 pm

I think it's our best team since at least Gibbs II, on paper. Certainly our weapons on offense rival anything going back to the early 90s. Offensive line, not so much, but I think we'll be better there than we have been in a few years.

I'm not sold on the strength of our middle linebackers yet, and our defensive backfield is still worrisome. That said, when players like Biggers are fighting for a roster spot rather than being penciled in as your nickel corner, that's good improvement.

So in general I agree that on paper this team is looking good. Another plus is that only good news seems to be coming from training camp. No drama and relatively few injuries.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:14 am

Really? Gibbs I's teams always started in the trenches...

You'll have to show me, 'cause I don't see it.
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby markshark84 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:19 pm

riggofan wrote:I'm as big a homer as they come, but not sure I'm buying THIS much optimism. :)

I really am excited about the possibilities with RGIII, Morris and this receiving corps though. We'll see how it plays out, but I think the offense could be special and be a big surprise.

I agree. We have great weapons at RB, WR, and TE --- but without a good OL, they are basically useless. Our OL is TOTALLY unproven. Only 2 of our 5 OL have proven to be serviceable. That creates a TON of options for defenses to apply pressure.

Our D was 30th in the NFL in points against last year. We had 2 FA impact signings in Clark and Hatcher, but both are on the wrong side of their careers. Clark has been consistent, but he's a couple months from 35 at a position reliant on speed. There's a reason PITT let him go. That said, he can hopefuly be a mentor to our younger players in order to transition. Hatcher had a solid season last year, with 11 sacks in 15 games, but he had 16 total sacks in the previous 104 games. It may have been circumstance, but I hate seeing the skins sign a guy for good $$$ coming off a "one hit wonder" year. Outside of those 2 players, our bottom 3 D remains unchanged.

I have no clue how anyone expects our D to be better than last season without the leadership of Fletcher. Our O should improve, but this is dependent on our OL. If RGIII is back to his 2012 shape and our OL gells, we can keep opposing offenses off the field. If that happens, we'll have a great year; otherwise......
RIP Sean Taylor. You will be missed.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:04 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:when players like Biggers are fighting for a roster spot rather than being penciled in as your nickel corner, that's good improvement.

Gotta agree with that!
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:39 pm

Trent and Kory are excellent and good at RT and C. All offensive skill positions are excellent, as the title of the thread states, on paper. The 3 spots that concern us are LG, RG, and RT.

Here's pro football focus:

2013 Offensive Line Rankings
Khaled Elsayed | January 13, 2014

Numbers in bracket indicate last year’s rank while “PB” equals their pass blocking rank, “RB” their run and screen blocking rank & “PEN” their procedural or disciplinary penalty rank.

5. Washington Redskins (16th)
PB: 4th, RB: 10th, PEN: 3rd

Stud: An All-Pro-(or at least second team)-like performance from Trent Williams (+38.3). He has moments that make you smack your head, but by and large he’ll slow down elite pass rushers and has the kind of athleticism that generates movement whatever scheme you’re running.

Dud: Too many bad days for Chris Chester (-5.5) who continues to baffle with his streaky play.

Analysis: This ranking won’t please many Redskins fans who see the line as the root of their problems. The truth is the Shanahans had the zone blocking scheme working perfectly with huge cutback lanes regularly there for their backs to work with. Much is made of the hits Robert Griffin III took as if every single one of them must be the responsibility of the line. Well we charged RGIII himself with 10 of those sacks (more than any other player on the team) as the team gave whoever was quarterback ample time to get the job done. The big question now is what Jay Gruden intends for this line and whether he’ll move to a more power based scheme that could put a number of jobs on the line.

So they ranked our O-line 16th last year and see us as being pretty good there this coming season. Let's hope so.

They posted an All-NFC East team and Trent made the offense:

Left Tackle: Trent Williams, WAS

Believe it or not the Washington O-line was not the root of all problems in the DC area this season, they actually played pretty well overall. Williams just might have been the best left tackle in football and earns the spot in a division that saw both Jason Peters and Tyron Smith finish the season inside the Top 5 of PFF’s tackle rankings overall. Williams had ups and downs in the season but his peaks were utterly dominant, blanking opponents and crushing them in the run game. When he was on, he was really on.

The other key, of course, is Griff's return to form. He can drag us down or take us to new heights. It is truly amazing what great play from him can do for everyone else ... on both sides of the ball.

The key to the D is the line rotation. Cofield needs to maintain and Baker needs to step it up a notch. A third stud has to pan out and 3 other guys need to be solid. I think we are very good at 3 of the 4 secondary spots. Our OLBs are very good. Kerrigan is impressed by Trent Murphy. Our ILBs and other safety are adequate if the guys up front get push. I'm looking/hoping for some "big nickel."

Four Redskins made their defense:

Defensive Ends: Jason Hatcher, DAL (now WAS) and Fletcher Cox, PHI

For a while Jason Hatcher was our top ranked defensive tackle in the league. He slipped as the season went on but still finished inside the Top 10 and was the fourth ranked pass-rushing DT. Though the Cowboys now play in a four-man front the difference between a 4-3 under tackle and a 3-4 end in a one-gap scheme is minimal and the Cowboy teams with Fletcher Cox to make up our pair of ends. Cox may not be quite as dominant as the Eagles are hoping he can become, but he did grade positively across the board (penalties excepting) this season on a large workload of 910 snaps.

Nose Tackle: Barry Cofield, WAS

Our nose tackle spot is manned by Barry Cofield who completes the look of our pass-rushing 3-4 front. Cofield was able to generate some significant pressure from the inside but struggled a little against the run game. His +9.5 grade overall represents a fine season and one that saw him rank 23rd overall in our DT rankings.

Edge Defenders: Brian Orapko, WAS

Two players used to being showered with accolades, Trent Cole and Brian Orakpo both make the All NFC East team but neither was the dominant force they have been in the past. Cole has in the past led the league in Pass Rushing Productivity but this season was only the 13th-ranked 3-4 OLB notching 51 total pressures. Orakpo fared better, ranking sixth as well as performing well against the run and making a few plays in coverage.

Cornerbacks: Orlando Scandrick, DAL and DeAngelo Hall, WAS

Anyone looking just at the PFF cornerback rankings overall will be wondering where Brandon Boykin and Prince Amukamara are. In Boykin’s case he is purely a slot corner and that is a significant departure to playing outside. Without seeing him play the perimeter we didn’t feel we could include him as one of our outside corners on this team. Amukamara finished ahead of Scandrick in the rankings, but his coverage grade is significantly lower (-3.7 vs. +4.9). Given that this is a passing league we want the guy who is better in coverage. Scandrick got his hands to more passes than his Giants counterpart and made more plays in coverage, preventing first downs and slowing opposing passing attacks more. Hall is similarly lower down in the rankings but is asked to track top receivers and man up against the league’s best in way the others aren’t.

I'd almost say we are stacked at the skill positions and need about 4 big bodies and Griff (mostly Griff) to step up. By executing decisively, Griff can help those other 3 guys on the line. An efficient offense would go a long way in making life a lot easier for the defense. Playing with a lead (and Alf) is nice.
Last edited by DarthMonk on Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby riggofan » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:40 pm

markshark84 wrote:I agree. We have great weapons at RB, WR, and TE --- but without a good OL, they are basically useless. Our OL is TOTALLY unproven. Only 2 of our 5 OL have proven to be serviceable. That creates a TON of options for defenses to apply pressure.

Our D was 30th in the NFL in points against last year. We had 2 FA impact signings in Clark and Hatcher, but both are on the wrong side of their careers. Clark has been consistent, but he's a couple months from 35 at a position reliant on speed. There's a reason PITT let him go. That said, he can hopefuly be a mentor to our younger players in order to transition. Hatcher had a solid season last year, with 11 sacks in 15 games, but he had 16 total sacks in the previous 104 games. It may have been circumstance, but I hate seeing the skins sign a guy for good $$$ coming off a "one hit wonder" year. Outside of those 2 players, our bottom 3 D remains unchanged.

I have no clue how anyone expects our D to be better than last season without the leadership of Fletcher. Our O should improve, but this is dependent on our OL. If RGIII is back to his 2012 shape and our OL gells, we can keep opposing offenses off the field. If that happens, we'll have a great year; otherwise......

Some good points in here man. I had not thought of Hatcher as an "impact signing" but I guess for the money spent on him he probably is. We got Clark on the cheap, so no big worry there - other than our counting on an older guy to be our starting safety!

No doubt we'll miss Fletcher's leadership, but he didn't play well last year. Robinson could actually be an upgrade at that spot IMO. It will be interesting to see if he can make up for his lack of experience with a little more speed and athleticism.

I agree with what you're saying overall about the defense though. Its hard to look at that group and see how they're going to be significantly better than last year. I've never bought the "blame Shanahan" thing when it came to how bad the D was in 2013.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:48 pm

it's got to be good for our guys to practice against the Patriots this week and then to play against them on Thursday night

I'm looking forward to seeing how the offensive line plays and how effective the defensive secondary is against Tom Brady

it's reality time
Griffin will become a really good QB but it's going to take time

We are lucky to have Cousins - hopefully he can continue to play well

HAIL

Week 3 - 27-21

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football