gameday takeaways/ depth predictions

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
CKRGiii

gameday takeaways/ depth predictions

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:40 pm

We have a bunch of talent at Wr and Rb... we might be able to stash Silas Redd on the ps and maybe Williams but they very well might end up on anpther team- same for McCoy if we dont run with 3 qbs again.

This is a GOOD problem to have!!
Having the depth to have players land on other teams means we are finally building the right way.

RB-
Alfred- need I say more?
Helu- his hands are proven, speed is there, being a 4th year vet helps having the exp but he has to maintain a highblevel to fend off the rooks for the 3rd down/ spell back roll
Seastrunk- this can change but I feel at this point he has done enough to warrant the final rb spot on the team. He is probably the fastest we have with Thompson being close on his heals.
On the bubble:
Royster: with Al getting the workload he has had few opportunities, but imo has done ok for himself. The all time leading rusher of Penn st. has everything that it takes and may very well end up as the starter elsewhere. Cooley pointed out last night that his instincts are incredable and he always gets positive yardage. Doubt we can trade him for anything but he is a damn fine rb when healthy
Redd: kid plays with heart and has the high gear- butbi dont think he beats out Seastrunk. Id personally opt to see LESS of him to increase the likelihood he clears wacers onto the PS to develop and be the next man up
Thompson: unless he makes a BIG splash on teams I dont think we have the luxury of keeping him and his speed... probably ends up on a RB depleted team, hopefully not the NYmidgets

Wr is the same.. the rooks are stepping up and The likes of Tana and Robinson are making it hard for them. With Hanktime on PUP/IR? I have it like this:
Garçon: breaking records like its no thing, having viable options around him will only help
DJax: Speed kills and his a feisty reciecer for his size.. cant wait to see his game changing ability on the field
Roberts: Santanas apparent successor, its to be seen how he fares as a returner but hopefully he is Gonzo!
Tanna: a redskins legend through thick and thin.. coming off a shaky year he has upped his game and looks like the Moss we all know and love, his return skills and leadership make him that much more valuable.
GRANT- for where he is at as a Rook he is IMO aheadbof Robinson. When he is in his third year like Aldrich hes gonna be that much better
Robinson: speed kills! With a big boost to his route running this offseason and so fsr improved hands he would spell trouble being on the field w Rg3, Garcon, djax, reed, and Seastrunk... thats just to much speed and a mismatch certain to follow

Lastly id like to look at the Kicker spot

Hocker: KO advantage is clearly his.. touchbacks a plenty, and he is solid so far w his FGs
Kai: Forbath will probably move to a team and have success like some of our previous kicker (see Pitt) unfortunately his biggest up on the Rook was his iron nerves and consistency... last night it looked like he was feeling the heat from the rook as he kicked one out of bounds (again) and made a terrible FG attempt. Like coach said this decision wont be made until most likely after the final preseason game. At this point its an up hill battle IMO and his kick offs remain a liability in the field position battle we cant afford to have.

Thats a long winded post so if anyone would like to add other positions and or their take please do so! Sorry in advance for typos and auto corrects.. im on my cell and well this post became to ling to proof read and edit

HTTR
Last edited by cowboykillerzRGiii on Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

kazoo

Re: gameday takeaways/ depth predictions

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:13 pm

Pretty reasonable, but did you mean Seastrunk would make both RB and WR?
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:13 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:Pretty reasonable, but did you mean Seastrunk would make both RB and WR?

Ha ha no, although I hope he can catch out of the backfield as well..
just saying with those speedsters on the field at the same time itd be hard to cover the wideouts and still keep an eye on him. Dont want to let bim slip out for a quick dump off w all the dbstrying to keep up w the wideouts. Helu fits the bill in that scenario as well .. but a set with our fastest wideouts and seastrunk opens up the rb draw play and he will be gone if he gets to the next level
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby Neo » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:05 pm

Nice post! I was seriously impressed with Seastrunk. If we can teach him to catch like Helu, he will be a major problem for defenses.

Speaking of Helu, he looked pretty good. He catching ability is a great safety blanket for Bob.

Just having a crazy thought here, but I'm wondering if they will ever line up Grant as a TE. Not for blocking; he's a bit skinny, but more like a Fred Davis extra receiver kind of TE. Just thinking of a way to get more weapons on the field :)
"I'm trying to be as honest as I can; I don't normally do that." -Mike Shanahan

Hog

Postby Neo » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:12 pm

Thoughts on Licht's performance as a center? I don't recall anything jumping out at me as bad...just wondering if he's better so far at center.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:36 pm

According to Doc and Cooley he was 2Legit2quit the whole time he was in, and like coach said great in the run game knowing where to go and who to hit in the next level. Hes better suited for the position then what we had last year is the overall consensus

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:52 pm

Neo wrote:Nice post! I was seriously impressed with Seastrunk. If we can teach him to catch like Helu, he will be a major problem for defenses.

Speaking of Helu, he looked pretty good. He catching ability is a great safety blanket for Bob.

Just having a crazy thought here, but I'm wondering if they will ever line up Grant as a TE. Not for blocking; he's a bit skinny, but more like a Fred Davis extra receiver kind of TE. Just thinking of a way to get more weapons on the field :)

Thanks btw..
I agree on all accounts- I dont think they threw the ball to the rb much @ Baylor but I remeber reading that his hands are solid just they didnt do much of that.
*per wiki he had 9 catches in 2012 for over 100yds and a td... then no receptions in 2013.. I think it was more so because they didnt throw to the rb like I mentioned

By TE u mean on the line? Im sure w as deep as we are at wr they will offer a lot of different looks and move guys all around- dont forget the motion!

Hog

Postby Neo » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:24 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:
Neo wrote:Nice post! I was seriously impressed with Seastrunk. If we can teach him to catch like Helu, he will be a major problem for defenses.

Thanks btw..
I agree on all accounts- I dont think they threw the ball to the rb much @ Baylor but I remeber reading that his hands are solid just they didnt do much of that.
*per wiki he had 9 catches in 2012 for over 100yds and a td... then no receptions in 2013.. I think it was more so because they didnt throw to the rb like I mentioned

By TE u mean on the line? Im sure w as deep as we are at wr they will offer a lot of different looks and move guys all around- dont forget the motion!

That's exciting about Seastrunk. Hoping they'll showcase his backfield catching next game.

Yeah I was having a crazy thought of Grant on the line but coming straight out as a receiving TE. Again, he doesn't have the size, but moreso just curious on how to get him in formation with our other top gunners.

Speaking of motion...remember that Percy Harvin handoff last Super Bowl? I`d like to see us put DJax to similar use a few times.

Sorry man, I'm all over the place tonight :)

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:42 pm

Heres a good article and two vids that will have you amped up for Lache if you arent already!

There's a great catch and run on there that looks like he ran a quick route- good hands show cased.. that speed and elusiveness is just fun to watch! Lache is a strong candidate for my favorite Rookie of this draft class, I look forward to seeing him but in work!

http://httr4life.com/redskins-draft-rb-lache-seastrunk/

Postby yupchagee » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:42 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:We have a bunch of talent at Wr and Rb... we might be able to stash Silas Redd on the ps and maybe Williams but they very well might end up on anpther team- same for McCoy if we dont run with 3 qbs again.

This is a GOOD problem to have!!
Having the depth to have players land on other teams means we are finally building the right way.

RB-
Alfred- need I say more?
Helu- his hands are proven, speed is there, being a 4th year vet helps having the exp but he has to maintain a highblevel to fend off the rooks for the 3rd down/ spell back roll
Seastrunk- this can change but I feel at this point he has done enough to warrant the final rb spot on the team. He is probably the fastest we have with Thompson being close on his heals.
On the bubble:
Royster: with Al getting the workload he has had few opportunities, but imo has done ok for himself. The all time leading rusher of Perdue has everything that it takes and may very well end up as the starter elsewhere. Cooley pointed out last night that his intincts are incredable and he always gets positive yardage. Doubt we can trade him for anything but he is a damn fine rb when healthy
Redd: kid plays with heart and has the high gear- butbi dont think he beats out Seastrunk. Id personally opt to see LESS of him to increase the likelihood he clears wacers onto the PS to develop and be the next man up
Thompson: unless he makes a BIG splash on teams I dont think we have the luxury of keeping him and his speed... probably ends up on a RB depleted team, hopefully not the NYmidgets

Wr is the same.. the rooks are stepping up and The likes of Tana and Robinson are making it hard for them. With Hanktime on PUP/IR? I have it like this:
Garçon: breaking records like its no thing, having viable options around him will only help
DJax: Speed kills and his a feisty reciecer for his size.. cant wait to see his game changing ability on the field
Roberts: Santanas apparent successor, its to be seen how he fares as a returner but hopefully he is Gonzo!
Tanna: a redskins legend through thick and thin.. coming off a shaky year he has upped his game and looks like the Moss we all know and love, his return skills and leadership make him that much more valuable.
GRANT- for where he is at as a Rook he is IMO aheadbof Robinson. When he is in his third year like Aldrich hes gonna be that much better
Robinson: speed kills! With a big boost to his route running this offseason and so fsr improved hands he would spell trouble being on the field w Rg3, Garcon, djax, reed, and Seastrunk... thats just to much speed and a mismatch certain to follow

Lastly id like to look at the Kicker spot

Hocker: KO advantage is clearly his.. touchbacks a plenty, and he is solid so far w his FGs
Kai: Forbath will probably move to a team and have success like some of our previous kicker (see Pitt) unfortunately his biggest up on the Rook was his iron nerves and consistency... last night it looked like he was feeling the heat from the rook as he kicked one out of bounds (again) and made a terrible FG attempt. Like coach said this decision wont be made until most likely after the final preseason game. At this point its an up hill battle IMO and his kick offs remain a liability in the field position battle we cant afford to have.

Thats a long winded post so if anyone would like to add other positions and or their take please do so! Sorry in advance for typos and auto corrects.. im on my cell and well this post became to ling to proof read and edit

HTTR

The only player on roster from Purdue is Kerrigan. I think you meant Penn. St. Other than that I agree.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:28 pm

Fixed that Yupchagee.. my fault, i knew that too.. but Perdue just sounded better I guess haha

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:08 am

Good point about Royster btw. It seems like he has pretty much been written off by everyone, that its a foregone conclusion he won't make the 53. My thought on Royster is that if Alfred Morris goes down, which of these other backs outside of Royster is really a guy who could replace him as an every down back? Helu, Thompson, Seastrunk, etc; Are any of those guys RBs that you would expect to be able to carry the ball 25 times a game over multiple games?

I don't really know what the thinking is behind all of that when it comes to coaches picking the 53 man roster. It just seems like we have that group of speedy, smaller RBs led by Helu, and then we have Morris/Royster as our only two real bruisers. Am I completely off base about that?

I guess the bottom line is that we probably only have room for four RBs on the roster. Morris, Helu, Young, and ??.

Hog

Postby absinthe1023 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:22 am

I don't think any RB on the team will be asked to carry the ball 25 times/game consistently this year, not even Alfred. That just can't be done anymore if you expect to get any longevity out of your backfield. Today's defenders are too big, too strong, and too fast; they create powerful collisions on nearly all run plays. A back can only take so many of those in a career.
"No one played with more heart."

-Clinton Portis on Sean Taylor

As of 11/27/07, I resolve to never again read any version of the Washington Post.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:18 am

riggofan wrote:Good point about Royster btw. It seems like he has pretty much been written off by everyone, that its a foregone conclusion he won't make the 53. My thought on Royster is that if Alfred Morris goes down, which of these other backs outside of Royster is really a guy who could replace him as an every down back? Helu, Thompson, Seastrunk, etc; Are any of those guys RBs that you would expect to be able to carry the ball 25 times a game over multiple games?

I don't really know what the thinking is behind all of that when it comes to coaches picking the 53 man roster. It just seems like we have that group of speedy, smaller RBs led by Helu, and then we have Morris/Royster as our only two real bruisers. Am I completely off base about that?

I guess the bottom line is that we probably only have room for four RBs on the roster. Morris, Helu, Young, and ??.

I think we keep four RBs and Young as a fullback. Morris, Helu, Royster, and Seastrunk, with the last two spots unsettled.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:17 pm

Irn-Bru wrote:
riggofan wrote:Good point about Royster btw. It seems like he has pretty much been written off by everyone, that its a foregone conclusion he won't make the 53. My thought on Royster is that if Alfred Morris goes down, which of these other backs outside of Royster is really a guy who could replace him as an every down back? Helu, Thompson, Seastrunk, etc; Are any of those guys RBs that you would expect to be able to carry the ball 25 times a game over multiple games?

I think we keep four RBs and Young as a fullback. Morris, Helu, Royster, and Seastrunk, with the last two spots unsettled.

That would be great if it worked out. Just not sure where that extra spot would come from. This is just a projection but definitely gives you some idea of what the roster might look like and how they have to squeeze guys in:

http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-reds ... ted-roster

That's a 53 roster where they didn't have space for Chris Neild or Bacarri Rambo. Its going to be tight!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football