Bashaud Breeland - DB

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Bashaud Breeland - DB

Postby DarthMonk » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:17 am

Redskins fourth-round DB Bashaud Breeland was cited for misdemeanor marijuana possession in Richmond, Va. on Monday.

Breeland was on the campus of Virginia Commonwealth University and was stopped by a university police officer at 10:40 PM. He was issued a summons and will have a hearing on August 26.
Breeland had pre-draft concerns due to "several run-ins with the law." It's not a good start to his NFL career. Breeland has been working as a second-team corner and occasional nickel back.

Source: Washington Times Aug 13 - 5:40 PM
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

JSPB22

Re: Bashaud Breeland - DB

Postby Deadskins » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:38 am

Does the CBA allow them to drug test a player at this point? The citation may make that moot, but I don't know.
Andre Carter wrote:Damn man, you know your football.

Hog Bowl IV Champion (2012)

Hail to the Redskins!

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:10 am

no matter how we feel about legalizing marijuana, athletes that choose to smoke it should suffer the consequences

not a great indicator of this kid's desire to make the team IMO :lol:
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Hog

Postby PAPDOG67 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:44 am

Terrible decision on the rookies part. When will the country smarten up and just leagalize it already. I don't smoke the stuff, but I know plenty of people who do and hold down regular jobs and are contributing members of society. To me, its no different than knocking a few back when you're out at the bar. Pick your poison.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:50 am

the law does not matter here - this athlete chose to buy or use a product that could hurt his chances of making the team

if he chose to have a few drinks after practice and something happened, his choice would still get him in trouble

I understand that there is no evidence that recreational marijuana use will hurt an athlete's performance

at this time, this athlete is trying to make the roster and choosing to buy or use marijuana is a STUPID mistake

WHY MAKE THIS CHOICE AFTER ALL THAT YOU'VE GONE THROUGH TO GET HERE - not a good indicator of commitment to the team
Getting our QB back will help a lot but we still have a lot of issues to address

Players and coaches need to believe that they can be successful - they are not playing with that attitude - big changes are coming

HAIL

Currently 50-41

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:03 am

personally, I have no problem with people drinking alcohol or smoking marijuana - that's NOT the issue here ...

there is no evidence that suggests an athlete might be a better player if he drinks alcohol or smokes marijuana

if you want to be at your best, why would you put stuff in your body that might hurt your performance

The NFL has made it VERY clear that at this time marijuana is not a legal substance

why would you take a chance like this kid did?

HAIL

Currently 50-41

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:54 am

SkinsJock wrote:no matter how we feel about legalizing marijuana, athletes that choose to smoke it should suffer the consequences

Athletes? I don't agree at all with that statement. And the NFL is way out of step with what's going on in the country with marijuana. Watch Breeland will get a four game suspension while Ray Rice sits for two after beating the crap out of his wife.

Bottom line though: Breeland knows the rules, and he knows the NFL has punished guys harshly for smoking weed. So yeah, he has nobody to blame but himself for choosing to break the rules and getting caught. Stupid move.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:56 am

SkinsJock wrote:if you want to be at your best, why would you put stuff in your body that might hurt your performance

That's not a relevant argument. The NFL isn't testing guys for Oreos and Big Macs.

Postby yupchagee » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:12 pm

We're combining several topics here:
1) Does pot hamper a players performance? Hasn't been studied enough. Not a Redskins topic.
2) Should a pro athlete keep himself in top shape? Of course, but again not specifically a Skins topic.
3) Should pot be legal? Debatable, but not a football topic.
4) Are the NFL's policies always correct? No, but again not a Redskins topic.

What matters is that the league HAS these rules, & all players should know them & follow them.

Note: One can violate NFL rules without breaking the law. For example, some OTC cold meds violate the substance abuse policy.
Skins fan since '55

"The constitution is not a suicide pact"- Abraham Lincoln

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:30 pm

I could care less about the legality of marijuana ...

all that is relevant is that this player made a choice - I hope that the team makes an appropriate choice about his future here

HAIL

Currently 50-41

the 'mudge

Postby Countertrey » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:42 pm

Legal... Not legal... NFL out of touch... Whatever. None of it is relevant. The rule is clear. The consequence is known.

What IS relevant is stupidity
"That's a clown question, bro"
- - - - - - - - - - Bryce Harper, DC Statesman
"But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have"
- - - - - - - - - - Dewey Bunnell, America

Hog

Postby Hooligan » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:10 pm

Looking good for Minnifield and Crawford.
"Even a stopped clock is right twice a day."

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:29 pm

Damn this kid was showing he had it in camp so far...

I wonder what the circumstances were. I mean it couldn't have been its "its late, empty your pockets son!"

Was it indeed his? Rookies dont get tested like the pros??
I wonder what the policy for rx use is..

While this IS a dumb rookie move, lets not be to harsh on the kid... what he does now is what determines the kind of person he is. In no way should the team react harshly to this, imo, they should lend him the helpling hand. There was mention of his future, I for one hope he teams up with Trent and gets past this; until its legal.

+10000 @the Ray Rice comment shame its true
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:36 pm

Countertrey wrote:Legal... Not legal... NFL out of touch... Whatever. None of it is relevant. The rule is clear. The consequence is known.

What IS relevant is stupidity

I really feel bad for the guy - IMO, he made a STUPID choice and he fully understood the consequences of that decision ...

see ya!

HAIL

Currently 50-41

||||||

Postby EA7649 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:23 pm

Gotta a Josh Gordon, Fred Davis on our team?

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football