Regular Season Analysis/Predictions

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
DarthMonk

Regular Season Analysis/Predictions

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:39 am

The schedule:

@ TEX
JAG
@ EAG
NYG
SEA
@ ARZ
TEN
@ COW
@ VIK
BUC
@ 49R
@ IND
RAM
@ NYG
EAG
COW

I've highlighted the games I anticipate losing. We need to win 10 of the other 13. We don't seem to have a home field advantage. SEA and @ ARZ seem to be very tough. This makes winning @ TEX in game 1 very important.

I think 8-8 would be a huge success. I think our offense will be explosive with a healthy Griff and good with Cousins. If our defense can play 4 quarters for 16 games they way they have played so far, we could be very good.

I'm calliing 8-8.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

08 Champ

Re: Regular Season Analysis/Predictions

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:08 am

I want them to win every game - winning 8 or 9 is doable

I really am looking for RG3 to show that he can be a good NFL QB - he's not had the benefit of being prepared to play the position the way that Jay and Sean want him to - Mike and Kyle almost ruined him the way they had him play and the offense they devised for him

given what we saw and the team attitude, it's hard not to imagine that we'll be improved on what we saw last season as a whole

I'm afraid we're another season from being very good again

it's almost that time again and anything can happen on any given Sunday :lol:
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:10 am

Coming off 3-13, 8-8 would definitely be a nice step up.

If we're going to make predictions though, how about we take 8-8 off the table? Its too "win some, lose some". I want to hear if people think we're going to have a winning season or a losing season. :)

The 49ers/Seahawks games are really hard to guess right now. I think Seattle is the better team, 49ers have lost a couple key LBs. But we get Seattle at home and 49ers away.

I'm going to guess we go 4-2 in our division games.

From the other ten games, I see seven games where I expect us to at least be competitive: Texans, Jags, Arizona, Titans, Vikings, Bucs, Rams. Not to say we'll win those, but most of those teams have their own issues and none of them should just flat out scare us. v. Colts, 49ers, Seahawks, we're definitely the underdogs. I'll be conservative and say 5-5 in non-division games.

Healthy QB, some positive momentum from the new coach, big year from Alf, weak division and some things going our way for a change. Optimistic homer that I am, I'm going with 9-7 this year.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:23 am

The only games I see as being hard to 'find a way to win' are the Seahawks, Cardinals and 49ers

I understand that we'll win some we shouldn't and lose some we shouldn't but I really think we'll make our own luck better than we've done recently - going 6-0 in the division is not going to be that hard

9-7 would be a good season
The Redskins need to have a plan for how to put a product on the field that will be consistently competitive and they need to stick with that plan - it's taken years to become as bad as we are and it will be years getting out of it

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:10 am

10-6, we were good two years ago and the wheels came off last year, but I think we weren't as bad as our record. If the OL sands up, the secondary improves and we get a stronger pass rush, I think we start middling then start winning. We also play in the NFC East and that's good for some extra wins if we're just decent.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:20 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:10-6, we were good two years ago and the wheels came off last year, but I think we weren't as bad as our record. If the OL sands up, the secondary improves and we get a stronger pass rush, I think we start middling then start winning. We also play in the NFC East and that's good for some extra wins if we're just decent.

9-7 - agree with you that we were not as bad as our record
I think we'll see improvement defensively - the weapons on offense are encouraging but the O line is a bit of a mystery as we go away from the Mike & Kyle gimmick stuff and begin the Jay and Sean era

there are a lot of good signs but it takes time to build the quality depth you need

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:54 pm

KazooSkinsFan wrote:10-6, we were good two years ago and the wheels came off last year, but I think we weren't as bad as our record.

Probably weren't as bad as our record last year, but I don't think we were much better than our record last year either. :)

I do think your reasons for thinking we'll be better this year are solid.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"That's all you want? Three ones and a two?.... I said, 'Dan, game on.'" - Vinny
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:58 pm

riggofan wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:10-6, we were good two years ago and the wheels came off last year, but I think we weren't as bad as our record.

Probably weren't as bad as our record last year, but I don't think we were much better than our record last year either. :)

I do think your reasons for thinking we'll be better this year are solid.

Actually, let me rephrase it. I think we had more talent than our record indicated. I think we did play like a 3-13 team for most of the season, I just don't think we had 3-13 talent. Yeah, we needed upgrades, I'm just saying if we got them, and I hope we did, then we could bounce back pretty quickly. We did have big holes, like on the O-line and in the secondary, we had a circus atmosphere over the Shannanans that harmed us, and we got some bad breaks, like RG3.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

DarthMonk

Postby DarthMonk » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:15 pm

riggofan wrote:Coming off 3-13, 8-8 would definitely be a nice step up.

If we're going to make predictions though, how about we take 8-8 off the table? Its too "win some, lose some". I want to hear if people think we're going to have a winning season or a losing season. :)

What can I say? I think we will win 8 games and lose 8 games.

I think we go 2-4 in division while getting swept by the Eags. Sorry but I think it will happen.

I see us losing to SEA, @49R, and @IND.

I seeing us winning JAG, TEN, BUC, and RAM.

So far we are 6-7. 8-8 means going 2-1 @TEX, @ARZ, and @VIK. It won't be easy.

If our pass rush can step up this could all radically change. Making Holes, Sheli, and Blowmo hurry would make all the difference. Also, SEA is here on MNF. The crowd and a pass rush would be huge.

PS - I will certainly pick us every week in Hognostications. Please see that thread in Around the League if you have not yet signed up.

PPS - Our over/under in Vegas is 7.5 wins.
Hog Bowl III, V Champion (2011, 2013)

Hognostication Champion (2011, 2013)

Scalp 'em, Swamp 'em,
We will take 'em big score!
Read 'em, Weep 'em Touchdown,
We want heap more!

Hog

Postby OldSchool » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:48 pm

I want to see the next game where Griffin will play more before I make a prediction. He's looked uncomfortable thus far but maybe he hasn't play long enough to settle in and perform in the first two games maybe he'll do better and raise my hopes next time out. He's got more playmakers this season so maybe he'll be more effective without running.

Hog

Postby fabe » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:15 pm

I'm not being picky this year. As long as we get more than 3 wins, don't get swept by our division, and not end up 4th in the East, I'll be content. Not happy, but content.

@HOU = This one could possibly go either way. Houston's defense is looking like a force, but it's mostly because of Clowney, Watt and Cushing. I think our offense could still move the ball with a heavy dose of Alfred Morris. Houston's offense doesn't scare me, but our defense does. I'm just glad that this game is week 1, so with a new offense, we could have [somewhat] an element of surprise. Again, I think this one is a coin toss but I'll take the Skins just because.

JAC = It's a lock. Skins win this one.

@PHI = I never want to pick a divisional rival, but if I throw my bias aside, I can give Philly at least a home win.

NYG = I'll take the Skins. Giants are looking bad this year.

SEA = We could pull off the upset, but it's the smarter pick to go with the SB champs. I take Seattle.

@ARI = I'm taking the Skins. I know the Cards defense is looking good, but it's still the Arizona Cardinals, and Carson Palmer is still their QB.

TEN = Skins. Who the heck plays for Tennessee anyway?

@DAL = Skins all day!

@MIN = Skins

TB = Skins

@SF = I gotta go with the 9ers. I'll be rooting for the upset, though.

@IND = Skins. I see a lot of people are taking the Colts, but I think we could win this. It's not Peyton Manning's Colts.

STL = Dang, this one is kind of hard. I think it's another coin toss. The Rams defense is SCARY, and their running attack is decent enough. I'll say the Rams, but maybe the jet lag will get to them.

@NYG = Skins

PHI = We gotta beat the Eagles at least once this year, right? Better chance at our stadium.

DAL = Skins

This makes our overall record 11-5. Doesn't sound realistic, but who knows what could happen?

cleg

Postby cleg » Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:53 am

I got 7-9. Swept by the NFC West, losing both Eagles games, losing to the Vikings, Bucs and Texans.
Drinking the Kool-Aid again...

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:39 pm

Im surprised at all the respect for a mediocre smeagle team!!!

Like every year there is games we should win and games we SHOULD lose... but not a single game we CANT win.

With that said, LpJ and I will get it right one year!!!

19-0 :twisted:

Kap is crap, fecals are.. well fecal. And shehawks will likely be our biggest test.. before the knee totally gave way we were rolling em so I think with some momentum and confidence soaring we edge them out with their O not being able to do much and a smart game spells no defensive scores to bail them out.
/homerism
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby OldSchool » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:05 pm

After watching the 1st half of the Raven's game I'm going with 7-9. Robert continues to be ineffective in the pocket running this offense in game three, it might take awhile for him to improve. He doesn't look that quick anymore so I don't how much things are going improve soon. Again he doesn't but the defense looks better and since the schedule is weak I think the Skins can win 4 more than last year.

I am updating this after watching Cousins lead a TD drive. I say 7-9 with Griffin starting or 9-7 with Cousins starting, Cousins skill set fits Gruden's offense much better than Griffin's.

Hog

Postby hanburgerheel » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:15 pm

6-10 or worse if they stay with Griffin all season.

8-8 or 9-7 with Cousins.

I long for the days when Washington had a good QB. Maybe one day we will have another one.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football