Start Cousins & Try To Make Playoffs

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Start Cousins & Try To Make Playoffs

Postby OldSchool » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:32 pm

I think the Skins might be a playoff team with Cousins, these receivers & running backs, defense & special teams but not with Griffin. They should start Cousins because he can execute the offense and utilize all the weapons they've assembled, Griffin hasn't shown any ability to be effective in this offense.

It would be a shame to waste the opportunity to compete for a division and maybe more with all this talent by using the season to have Griffin repeat Pocket Passing 101, the course he failed last season. Blame instructor Shanny if you want but it was Griffin that failed to learn the material. Thus far Griffin isn't effective for Instructor Gruden, maybe the pupil just doesn't have the mental processing ability to become a pocket passer.

I''d rather see them start Cousins who has the mental part it down, a respectable arm and is ready to go now. Can Cousins be successful? I think a decisive, accurate QB like Cousins could clean up. I don't want to hear about how things went last year because he didn't have these receivers last season, he'd have lots of open targets this time. Nor do I want to hear any BS about some ceiling you imagine this guy has after 4 starts because we've all seen after 28 starts that Griffin doesn't have an acceptable floor running Gruden's pocket passing offense, Griffin sucks. He is confused, indecisive, too slow and makes bad decision, Griffin is a sack machine and drive killer.

If Cousins fails to get them to the playoffs and they are eliminated then start Pocket Passing 101 for Griffin and try once more to teach him how to function in a pocket, but please don't waste a fresh season on this fools errand. The Skins wasted 2013 trying to get him effective in the pocket and the entire off season and he's clearly uncomfortable and ineffective, it might not be within him, I know it's not within me to waste fall Sundays watching a repeat of 2013.
Last edited by OldSchool on Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hog

Re: Start Cousins & Try To Make Playoffs

Postby hanburgerheel » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:08 pm

How about start Cousins and trade Griffin for some better O-linemen? Those of us who are in full "Griffin-Will-Fail" awareness are a lot more open to the actual potential of the team, rather than wishful thinking.

I don't think Cousins will ever be Tom Brady, but I KNOW that Griffin will never be Russel Wilson. Cousins will get closer to his mark than Griffin ever will. Griffin has already met his potential and peaked. The sooner everyone (fans, coaches, staff, owner, and Griffin himself), the sooner we go forward instead of spinning wheels. With Cousins, I'm not sure of how far he can go. With Griffin, I am absolutely positive how far he will go! It's nothing against him personally, he's just not the NFL QB that is required for a winning franchise. In fairness, he never was! Griffin was a gimmick from the start.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:19 pm

Yall some trigger happy idiots...
lets let the actual play book open before we start with this nonsensical drivel. Cousins went vs some poor #2/3s had time all day and Moss vs a rookie?! Sob. Every game we saw griff march downfield, people tend to SEE what their agenda prefers to SEE.. like you two. Hopefully the trade to st louis takes place and Cousins takes his weak ass fans with him, u wont be missed I assure you.
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:27 pm

Ok ive been battling some heads in an NFC East No Mercy club on fb.. and am a little tired of Skins fans giving up on their Qb EVERY YEAR. So excuse my frustration on this tired topic. 1s vs 2s aside...

OMHO Capt Kirk is a young Rex Grossman. Stats support that claim.
But riddle me this- IF Cousins is good enough to be our week one starter, why then didnt Kyle convince his FO to pull the trigger on giving us their 2nd rounder for him? They had 2 number ones as it was right? -ill wait
Last edited by cowboykillerzRGiii on Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby OldSchool » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:30 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:Yall some trigger happy idiots...
lets let the actual play book open before we start with this nonsensical drivel. Cousins went vs some poor #2/3s had time all day and Moss vs a rookie?! Sob. Every game we saw griff march downfield, people tend to SEE what their agenda prefers to SEE.. like you two. Hopefully the trade to st louis takes place and Cousins takes his weak ass fans with him, u wont be missed I assure you.

We all watched 2013 when the Shannys tried to teach Griffin how to be an NFL QB and now we've seen Gruden tutor him and the results are the same. Are you a Griffin fan or a Redskins fan? If you're Griffin fan so be it. If you're a Redskins fan and you faith in Griffin is making your eyes lie to you it's time to believe your eyes, Griffin sucks and is a waste of starts unless you want to let him run his zone read play all the way to the operating room for procedure #3. Also, why don't you take you nasty, rude attitude and hit the road because us Skins fans are going to say what we want, we are supporters if the team not sorry ass RG3Bots.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:36 pm

Why does it have to be Cousins vs. Griffin? Can't we just wait for the first regular season game before we decide who should be the QB? And why can't people get behind both of them?

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:40 pm

I appologized for a little misplaced frustration. The sentiment remains though.
Im quite sure this will happen every bad game, and a fair sample size is all I am asking for. Cousins isnt the second coming of Brady and even if he rolls up 7 tds vs Denver and then throws the game losing INT... its still a loss, ask Romo.
Cousins had an aweesom supporting cast (Moss on a Rookie back up are you serious? ) in his preseason. Griff not only moved the ball but costly mistakes FROM OTHER PLAYERS cost us. We can blame Als fumble on him, the TD pass that Robinson didnt get his feet down in time, the play calling not going w Young on the goaline 4 plays in a row, the TW hold killing a drive and long pass/run, and anything else. Fact is the entire starting team O needs to play better together. When the play book is opened up and they start clicking some people will be awfully surprised. Wont be me, but people who doubt will be.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:42 pm

People do have a legitimate reason to be concerned with Griffin, especially after that game on Saturday. The Ravens had their 2nd string backfield in the game the entire time he played, and he just looked awful. But it was the preseason after all.

Hog

Postby OldSchool » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:44 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:Ok ive been battling some heads in an NFC East No Mercy club on fb.. and am a little tired of Skins fans giving up on their Qb EVERY YEAR. So excuse my frustration on this tired topic. 1s vs 2s aside...

OMHO Capt Kirk is a young Rex Grossman. Stats support that claim.
But riddle me this- IF Cousins is good enough to be our week one starter, why then didnt Kyle convince his FO to pull the trigger on giving us their 2nd rounder for him? They had 2 number ones as it was right? -ill wait

How do you know the Skins were willing to trade Cousins? You don't unless you're Dan Snyder or one of the other principals you don't really know what Snyder or his staff think.

Cousins body of work is too small to assess how great he could become here or with another franchise but lots of RG3Bots are afraid to find out.

The point of my thread is I don't have confidence the Griffin can function competently in Gruden's offense but I am hopeful Cousins could and would like to see him start this season.

Tell the truth, aren't you at least curious?

Hog

Postby OldSchool » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:52 pm

StorminMormon86 wrote:Why does it have to be Cousins vs. Griffin? Can't we just wait for the first regular season game before we decide who should be the QB? And why can't people get behind both of them?

If the Skins start Griffin as I expect them to I hope he does much better and the Skins win, but it looks like a losing strategy to me. Opinions are what message boards are for and this is my considered opinion.

Hog

Postby FLWSkin » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:57 pm

We get that it's your opinion, but how about giving RG and the team more than a couple of quarters in preseason to get it worked out. I'm sorry, I've watched the games, and he is no where near as horrible as you make him out to be. And the fact that you gloss over the fact that Kirk has had several ints thrown and dropped kinda ruins your point.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:58 pm

Cousins did make a lot of boneheaded throws last year, but then again he only started 4 games. He's still essentially a "rookie" in terms of playing experience. Add on the fact that Grossman was on the team as a mentor, and that probably wasn't helping with the cutting back on the INTs.

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:00 pm

FLWSkin wrote:We get that it's your opinion, but how about giving RG and the team more than a couple of quarters in preseason to get it worked out. I'm sorry, I've watched the games, and he is no where near as horrible as you make him out to be. And the fact that you gloss over the fact that Kirk has had several ints thrown and dropped kinda ruins your point.

He's been pretty bad this preseason. Awful against Baltimore. I don't understand why Gruden isn't playing him in the 4th game, just to get more playing time.

Hog

Postby FLWSkin » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:01 pm

So why does he get a pass and should be starting when he's still putting it up for grabs, but if Rob does it, he's a bust?

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:01 pm

At this point? NO im not curious to see what Cousins can do. The "Im with Sonny" and so on qb controversy thrives with this team for as long as I remember...

Its clear who you support and clear who I do. The difference is I acknowledge faults- like when rg scrambled to the sideline and lost 5 yards vs throwing it away- while you focus on Kirk doing well in a meaningless game vs 3 stringers and worse.

Ill make excuses in an attempt to support my guy and understand.. but ultimately the play calling was poor (admittedly so from Gruden), protection was bad, and many things werent clicking with our starters. Im confident that when they are firing on all cylinders this year it will be fun to watch!

Im in the minority being GLAD saturday unfolded as it did.. it gave Gruden the chance to shine in face of adversity, reaffirmed that its ride or die with Robert (at least this year where hickups are expected), helped Cousins stock, and gives coach the point of emphasis for the remainder of the offseason. Had robert just lit em up and saved some of his bad choices for when they mattered, hed miss valuable coaching up that he will recieve now instead of later.

I support the starter no matter what. Beck when it was looking like him, all the way to Ferrot back when. 2013 RGiii wasnt as bad as some like to think (feel free to check his sophomore stats vs Cams). An honest assertion can NOT be made until somewhere around mid season.... but some "diehard" fans will be golfing instead of watching right?
Last edited by cowboykillerzRGiii on Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football