Meriweather & Roger G

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
G4L

Meriweather & Roger G

Postby Gibbs4Life » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:57 pm

The persecution of our team by the league office reaches new heights daily.

Today we receive news that our starting strong safety is suspended for weeks 1-2

Where's Phillip Thomas? He's joining Chris Thompson on the just not durable enough for football table

Rambo & Breeland look like viable options
HAIL

CKRGiii

Re: Meriweather & Roger G

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:26 pm

I saw on FB D Hall said he told himnto keep hitting and hed pay the fine.. it was worder more appropriate as to not hurting peiple butbi dont fully recall. This is a big blow and truly obnoxious punishment. If you watch the replay he lowered his target just as the wr lowered his body. Whats ge supposed to do? Pull a matrix move out of his u know what?

Thomas is side lined w and injury. Luckily Rambo has been playing well. Breeland miggt be an option as well.. unless he is facing a suspension as well :/
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby OldSchool » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:16 am

Merriweather is a knucklehead that should be suspended and longer than a couple of weeks before hurts someone permanently like Jack Tatum.

Hog

Postby FLWSkin » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:40 am

So the fact that it was a legal hit in reality means nothing to you?

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:45 am

FLWSkin wrote:So the fact that it was a legal hit in reality means nothing to you?

I haven't heard the discussion, but the replay was clearly helmet to helmet, how is that legal? Honestly, I think he should be tossed from the league. I hate to say that, we need him, but he puts people's careers in jeopardy and at this point it appears he either won't or can't change.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby FLWSkin » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:02 am

Because if you watch it again you will see that Merriweather was aiming for the spot between the shoulders and hips like they are supposed to and the receiver ducked his head in to that area and the Merriweather actually made contact with the receivers shoulder first. Watch it again, it was a legal hit.

Hog

Postby mastdark81 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:03 am

As far as the rule, I believe it was made to protect both offensive and defensive players from head injuries, predominately concussions. I don't have a problem with that. I get when a player spears another players helmet directly, it makes a barbaric sport look barbaric in the media and that is not the image they want to portray. However, if you initiate contact with your shoulder and your helmet unintentionally hits the opponent, it shouldn't even be called a penalty let alone a 2 game suspension by rule right? Whats the exact rule?

On concussions in general:
The sudden whiplash is what really causes concussions. You can cause that with pushing, helmet to helmet, shoulder to pads, virtually any contact that has impact. You can get a concussion defenseless or in defense.

I wouldn't like it but I would be more satisfied if they just call "whiplashing" for any major hits. Because at the end of the day they are pretty much saying getting a concussion when your only defenseless is bad. Yet if Torrey Smith ran 5 more yards and was popped hard and got a concussion it would be fine? Cause this happens as well.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:08 am

FLWSkin wrote:So the fact that it was a legal hit in reality means nothing to you?

you really have not being paying much attention - Meriweather has had an OBVIOUS issue with the way he tackles and the only thing that matters, at this time, is if the hit is deemed 'legal' by the NFL - there is VERY obviously some helmet to helmet contact and Meriweather CERTAINLY is not going to get the benefit of the doubt when that happens because of his past history - this is understandable - wake up people - this kid has to make a major change and if he cannot he's hurting the team

NO player should be playing if his actions end up hurting the team - NONE
Griffin will become a really good QB but it's going to take time

We are lucky to have Cousins - hopefully he can continue to play well

HAIL

Week 3 - 27-21

Hog

Postby FLWSkin » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:10 am

You see it a lot when a defender makes a tackle and the follow through makes contact with the head, but sometimes you just can't avoid it. That's what happened here. The league has it out for him and that's just a fact.

Hog

Postby FLWSkin » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:12 am

SkinsJock wrote:

you really have not being paying much attention - Meriweather has had an OBVIOUS issue with the way he tackles and the only thing that matters, at this time, is if the hit is deemed 'legal' by the NFL - there is VERY obviously some helmet to helmet contact and Meriweather CERTAINLY is not going to get the benefit of the doubt when that happens because of his past history - this is understandable - wake up people - this kid has to make a major change and if he cannot he's hurting the team

NO player should be playing if his actions end up hurting the team - NONE

I've been paying attention just fine, thanks. That was a legal hit, that's all I need to know. I know his past, and that had nothing to do with this hit.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:14 am

FLWSkin wrote:You see it a lot when a defender makes a tackle and the follow through makes contact with the head, but sometimes you just can't avoid it. That's what happened here. The league has it out for him and that's just a fact.

That's ridiculous. Whether or not this particular hit was legal, he has so many blatant helmet to helmet hits he drew the attention from the league. They should be protecting receivers. Merriweather needs to care, he doesn't seem to. If you are endangering people's health and their careers by your actions, you need to take changing seriously. I can't believe he can't learn to tackle without driving his helmet into the helmet of defenseless receivers, I just don't.
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Hog

Postby FLWSkin » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:16 am

The receiver ducked his head in to the path of the tackle, of course you are going to hit his head, there is no way you can't. But what is the defender supposed to do?

Hog

Postby mastdark81 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:45 am

KazooSkinsFan wrote:

I haven't heard the discussion, but the replay was clearly helmet to helmet, how is that legal? Honestly, I think he should be tossed from the league. I hate to say that, we need him, but he puts people's careers in jeopardy and at this point it appears he either won't or can't change.

Your career is on the line anytime you play football and get hit, it is an impact sport. Guys don't only get paralyzed or have concussions or career threatening injuries by helmet to helmet hits. You know how many of your favorite defensive players have blindsided guys or how many of your favorite olineman have tore up a defensive players knee? This is football! Now you suddenly want to ban Meriweather cause the league have brainwashed you into thinking that he is evil when half of the NFL is built off of the illegal hits that they now ban. There are hall of famers with busts in canton for doing exactly what Brandon Meriweather was actually taught to do. He's been tackling like this since peewee. Give the guy a break! Sean Taylor use to make these exact type of hits. Now have other guys conformed to the new rules? Yes but it is probably not easy for a vet. It appears he have improved on it and now going with the shoulder, that is all you can ask.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:48 am

FLWSkin wrote:The receiver ducked his head in to the path of the tackle, of course you are going to hit his head, there is no way you can't. But what is the defender supposed to do?

I addressed the point the league is gunning for him, you responded on the narrow point of this particular play. I can't argue legal, not legal on that specific play because I only saw it once from an angle I could see the helmet to helmet, but clearly he was leading with his head. Driving 30 though a neighborhood and a kid in a bike goes in front of you, you can say he went in front of me, What was I supposed to do? Well, start by not driving 30 through neighborhoods. Particularly if you've hit other kids on bikes repeatedly already.

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:49 am

mastdark81 wrote:
KazooSkinsFan wrote:

Your career is on the line anytime you play football and get hit, it is an impact sport

Gotcha, great point. I'm good now with eliminating rules on clean and unclean hits. Great argument.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football