Jason Reid Leaving The Griffin Bandwagon?

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

Jason Reid Leaving The Griffin Bandwagon?

Postby OldSchool » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:36 am

Jason Reid has been one of Griffin's most faithful apologists always ready with an excuse and an affirmation of faith that Griffin is destined for greatness if only the Shanahan's, detractors or teammates would get out of the way. But not today, not in today's column, is Reid preparing to bail on Griffin and join the growing chorus of critics? It appears that way to me after reading his column today, maybe Reid wants to distance himself in anticipation of another year of 2013 type performances. Only the RG3Bots on this board will continue to blame the Shannys if Griffin flops again in the pocket.

Hog

Re: Jason Reid Leaving The Griffin Bandwagon?

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:34 pm

I saw that article too and was pretty shocked with what he wrote. Reid seemed to always be behind Griffin. Now he did a 180.

Hog

Postby OldSchool » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:10 pm

It was one thing to blame the Shannys but thus far we haven't seen progress with Gruden in the preseason so even the faithful like Reid have growing doubts.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:29 pm

I have not seen the article from Jason Reid but this was from ESPN 980 recently ...

Over the next few days I'll take a look at each position on the roster, analyzing how they're better, or worse, compared to last season.

Who they have: Robert Griffin III, Kirk Cousins, Colt McCoy

Newcomer: McCoy

Who they lost: Rex Grossman

Where they’re better: Griffin is a year removed from his knee surgery and doesn’t need to play with a brace. He had a full offseason to work on his game and learn a new system. The Redskins made it a point to expand his game – particularly in the pocket – this offseason. There have been, and will be, growing pains. Griffin has looked much more comfortable, without questions focusing on his relationship with the head coach. Cousins played as I anticipated this summer: Making some good, decisive throws, and other ones that were off-target. The Redskins were wise to keep him around.

Where they’re worse: Hard to say that they’re worse. It’s not as if swapping Rex Grossman for McCoy makes them worse – Grossman had no experience in this system and his strength was in knowing Kyle Shanahan’s system and serving as a mentor. Either one as a third quarterback is fine. You could make a case that early on there will be growing pains because it’s a new system for Griffin and they’re trying to develop his pocket-passing skills. Oh, and making sure he protects himself, too. Growing pains there as well. Just get used to it; when you run a 4.3 in the 40, the decisions you think you can make are much different than pretty much anyone else’s. Takes time, and a few more jarring hits, to learn.

Overall: It’s an improved group simply because of Griffin’s offseason. But will that be enough to have a big season? Throughout the summer, Griffin had good days and bad. On his bad days he’d miss open targets, hold the ball a little too long and make questionable decisions. On his good days, there would be big plays, receivers hit in stride and the on-field charisma we saw in 2012. We rarely saw him pick apart a defense the way Tom Brady would (getting to see him work this summer was eye-opening). Griffin is not at that level yet. The trick now for Gruden is developing Griffin’s game while trying to win. That doesn’t always mesh, which is why I still think we’ll see his legs incorporated once the games begin – how could you not? The point is to win; doing so gives the Redskins that chance. This summer, we did not see the Redskins use his legs much (we did see it two years ago in camp). Nor did we always get to see the big plays Griffin can make by extending plays.

the QB (especially in DC) is always closely scrutinized - Griffin has not had anyone help him make the transition from the college game and he's getting used to a new style of offense and a new way of playing QB - THIS WILL TAKE TIME

we shall see if he's going to be a great QB but given his background, his upbringing and his athleticism it would be hard to imagine he will not be able to handle this just like he has every other challenge

I'm looking forward to seeing it happen ... it will take time but I doubt it takes very long
Last edited by SkinsJock on Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When you're dead you don't know you're dead, it's only difficult for others.
It's kind of the same as when you're stupid!

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

Hog

Postby FLWSkin » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:31 pm

Ok, how is that him saying horrible things about Griffin?

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:39 pm

FLWSkin wrote:Ok, how is that him saying horrible things about Griffin?

I have no idea - there's no link and I do not read any posts from trolls ... :D

memo to Dan Snyder: Let the football people just do their jobs - you need to manage your own mess

Hog

Postby OldSchool » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:55 pm

SkinsJock wrote:
FLWSkin wrote:Ok, how is that him saying horrible things about Griffin?

I have no idea - there's no link and I do not read any posts from trolls ... :D

You don't bother to read the article this thread is about before commenting on it and call other posters trolls, really?

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:08 pm

I think this is the Jason Reid article in question:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/ro ... story.html

Its critical of RGIII, but the big criticism of him seems to be that he "craves the spotlight". And he wears crazy shoes and socks. Seriously, read that article, and tell me what specific criticism of RGIII's PLAY is Reid making there?

I think SkinsJock has said this a few times, and I completely agree: I can't WAIT for the season to get started. Griffin is either going to prove his critics right or prove them wrong. But at least he's going to have the opportunity to do it healthy, playing football on the field. We're all going to find out pretty quick I think if he's back or not.

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:36 pm

riggofan wrote:I think this is the Jason Reid article in question:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/ro ... story.html

Its critical of RGIII, but the big criticism of him seems to be that he "craves the spotlight". And he wears crazy shoes and socks. Seriously, read that article, and tell me what specific criticism of RGIII's PLAY is Reid making there?

I think SkinsJock has said this a few times, and I completely agree: I can't WAIT for the season to get started. Griffin is either going to prove his critics right or prove them wrong. But at least he's going to have the opportunity to do it healthy, playing football on the field. We're all going to find out pretty quick I think if he's back or not.

Thanks for that - I was just pointing out that nobody really knows what is going on - that article is pretty petty

we're going to see the proof on the field soon enough - and it will have nothing to do with his off the field 'antics'

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:47 pm

Our qb makes a logo and agrees to a shoe line with his sponsor Adidas... and that is under the gun??

With players like Johnny football, collin krappernic, and dog killer... im pretty happy with who we have and what he does off the field.

No partys no drugs no beating women.. guy doesnt even drink. He eats sleeps and breathes football... lucky for us we are about to see the fruits of his labours pay off on the field.
ef the haters
#21 forever in our hearts
...and yet ANOTHER record setting performance by "RG3 the third"!!!!
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:32 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:guy doesnt even drink

One reason to dislike him right there.

Hog

Postby OldSchool » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:43 pm

Griffin's play leads others to drink..:-)

Hog

Postby StorminMormon86 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:48 pm

OldSchool wrote:Griffin's play leads others to drink..:-)

I drink regardless. Heavier if we're losing and/or lose.

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:08 pm

I take this as an indication of increased chances of success for RGIII this year, actually.
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

kazoo

Postby KazooSkinsFan » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:28 pm

Why does the Post only assign such jerks to report on the Redskins? Or is everyone who works for the post just a jerk?
Groucho: Man does not control his own fate. The women in his life do that for him

Proverb: Failure is not falling down. Failure is not getting up again

Twain: A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football