2019 Washington Redskins Mock Draft

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

2019 Washington Redskins Mock Draft

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:28 am

I had every intention of writing a long and drawn out blog on potential Redskins draft prospects but any number of wrenches were tossed into the works, from the prospect most likely to land in the Redskins' lap at #15 overall, Montez Sweat, being diagnosed with an enlarged heart, to the Josh Rosen "on again, off again" trade rumors, to the latest from Doug Williams about how the team needs a "go-to" receiver more than it needs to trade up for a quarterback or even more than it needs to draft a quarterback. Not to put too fine a point on it that smells like *sh$t* to me. It doesn't matter who your receivers are if your quarterback can't "get them the damn ball", to paraphrase an infamous quote from a former NFL receiver.

So, rather than trying to guess along with Brice Allen, which is impossible because nearest anyone can tell even he doesn't know what he's thinking until the last minute, I've decided to simply post one of the better mock outcomes out of the hundreds I've run over the last few months. If things worked out this way I can't see how any Redskins fan could complain. This is a straight draft with no trades.

What do you think? Would this be a quality draft based upon team needs? Obviously we're in no position to evaluate draft prospects before they've played a single NFL snap so that's not the question.

The question is: Would this draft (or a similar one) give you more hope for the 2019 Washington Redskins?

15: R1P15
QB DREW LOCK
MISSOURI

46: R2P14
WR MARQUISE BROWN
OKLAHOMA

76: R3P12
S TAYLOR RAPP
WASHINGTON

96: R3P32
EDGE CHRISTIAN MILLER
ALABAMA

153: R5P15
CB MICHAEL JACKSON
MIAMI

173: R5P35
LB TRE LAMAR
CLEMSON

206: R6P33
G GARRETT BRUMFIELD
LSU

227: R7P13
RB BRYCE LOVE
STANFORD

253: R7P39
G ALEX BARS
NOTRE DAME

https://fanspeak.com/ontheclock/draft.php?d=ztokmx
“He was at that time the smartest player in the league. We did everything we could to try to eliminate him from the play. We knew if we didn’t neutralize him, then we had less of a chance of winning.” - John Hannah on Chris Hanburger

Hog

Re: 2019 Washington Redskins Mock Draft

Postby riggofan » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:18 am

I like your draft. Hits the offensive needs early which I think is important, and you still got someone legitimate to help on the edge.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax
"We're on the rise, man, whether you're on the train or not." - Josh Norman

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:25 am

Here's my first five rounds. I kind of think we'll trade down at some point to try to get a pick in the 4th round, but I ran this one with no trades. I think we'll try to get a guard or center by the third round if there's a good one on the board. I think Haskins is 100% a Snyder type pick, and if Hakeem Butler is really there in the second round I'd be stoked.

YOUR PICKS
1: R1P15
QB DWAYNE HASKINS
OHIO STATE

2: R2P14
WR HAKEEM BUTLER
IOWA STATE

3: R3P12
G CONNOR MCGOVERN
PENN STATE

4: R3P32
EDGE CHRISTIAN MILLER
ALABAMA

5: R5P15
TE JOSH OLIVER
SAN JOSE STATE

6: R5P35
LB TRE LAMAR
CLEMSON
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:26 am

Meant to add I think you're spot on that we'll get a RB in the draft. People will be confused by it, but we'll definitely take one later in the draft I believe.

Hog

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:51 am

riggofan wrote:I like your draft. Hits the offensive needs early which I think is important, and you still got someone legitimate to help on the edge.

One of the big problems I ran into is that the edge rushers became more valuable in the latest mocks. A few weeks ago one of them was always available at #15 whether it was Sweat or Burns. In the new mocks both are long gone by the time the Skins pick at #15. Fortunately, we have so many needs that no matter how it breaks we should get a good player at a position of need. Still hoping a QB prospect falls. That's the biggest need.
“He was at that time the smartest player in the league. We did everything we could to try to eliminate him from the play. We knew if we didn’t neutralize him, then we had less of a chance of winning.” - John Hannah on Chris Hanburger

Hog

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:54 am

riggofan wrote:Meant to add I think you're spot on that we'll get a RB in the draft. People will be confused by it, but we'll definitely take one later in the draft I believe.

I think we have to admit the Rob Kelley / Samaje Perine ships have sailed. Peterson is good for one more year at the most. It's definitely a need even if Guice is the same back he was before the injury.

Hog

Postby ferryrich » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:38 am

For the first time in years, I've not bothered researching for the draft. There are clearly a few star picks, all of which I imagine will be available after 1, but all will be well gone by our pick. There are a few individuals I'd take at 15, but in various mocks, they've all gone at some point. One will drop though. My most likely would be Hockenson, but I'd rather have Haskins or maybe a slight reach for a receiver. I'll read and watch plenty on who we do end up drafting, but my interest will only peak during and after the event this year.

Hog

Postby ferryrich » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:38 am

...oh, but I would take a late RB too!

Hog

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:01 am

ferryrich wrote:For the first time in years, I've not bothered researching for the draft. There are clearly a few star picks, all of which I imagine will be available after 1, but all will be well gone by our pick. There are a few individuals I'd take at 15, but in various mocks, they've all gone at some point. One will drop though. My most likely would be Hockenson, but I'd rather have Haskins or maybe a slight reach for a receiver. I'll read and watch plenty on who we do end up drafting, but my interest will only peak during and after the event this year.

TE may very well be a need but without a QB to get him the ball it's not the first position I would address.

Hog

Postby ferryrich » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:27 am

Burgundy&GoldForever wrote:TE may very well be a need but without a QB to get him the ball it's not the first position I would address.

I completely agree, but I'm far from sold on any of the top QBs this year. Maybe Haskins if he's available at 15, but I kinda doubt he is.

I've just run a mock on ontheclock and ended up with Metcalf in the first, Kyler Murray in the 2nd! Not that I wanted him!

Hog

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:49 am

ferryrich wrote:
Burgundy&GoldForever wrote:TE may very well be a need but without a QB to get him the ball it's not the first position I would address.

I completely agree, but I'm far from sold on any of the top QBs this year. Maybe Haskins if he's available at 15, but I kinda doubt he is.

I've just run a mock on ontheclock and ended up with Metcalf in the first, Kyler Murray in the 2nd! Not that I wanted him!

Yep. I ran a few that had Montez Sweat going top ten, even with his heart condition concerns. It's not the most sensible tool but it's still fun to see the possibilities.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:10 pm

Burgundy&GoldForever wrote:One of the big problems I ran into is that the edge rushers became more valuable in the latest mocks.

I read somewhere that edge is one of the deeper positions this year. Which could be good for us. There seemed to also be a couple guys with high upside but some potential question marks.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:14 pm

ferryrich wrote:

Its hard to imagine some of these QBs being available at 15 until you run a few mock drafts. I don't know for sure which one will be there, but there will be some options.

I've been seeing Will Grier as a possible first rounder now largely because the Pats are apparently interested in him.

Hog

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:16 pm

riggofan wrote:
ferryrich wrote:

Its hard to imagine some of these QBs being available at 15 until you run a few mock drafts. I don't know for sure which one will be there, but there will be some options.

I've been seeing Will Grier as a possible first rounder now largely because the Pats are apparently interested in him.

We're all just guessing until the draft. Knowing the Redskins every prospect we hope falls will fall and then Bruce Allen will draft a guard and say he was the best prospect on their board.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:02 pm

Of course, but guessing is the fun part!

Brandon Scherff is a beast btw. I'd draft him again in a heartbeat. And for all the well deserved sh** we give him, Bruce Allen drafted Payne, Allen and Scherff while draft guru McCloughan brought us Josh Docston.

I read somewhere the other day that Docston has 1000 receiving yards. In three years. :)

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football