Week 1 starting QB- lets GO!!

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

Who is going to be behind center week 1

Keenum the GREAT!
57%
HASKINS FTW!!!
No votes
Sexy McCoy
No votes
Alex "only needs one leg" Smith
No votes
Bring back RGIII!
No votes
Who even cares?
No votes
Case just in case' until week 8- Dwayne day
43%

Total votes : 7
CKRGiii

Week 1 starting QB- lets GO!!

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:18 pm

Too soon? Not soon enough??

Mighta swell get this party rolling!

I already have been in some conversations with posters and HTTR4LIFE homies, and its a mixed bag on Haskins. This isn't really about if he was worth the pick or any of that fun stuff.. Sure there will be plenty of that anyhow.

Whos starting week 1?
Last edited by cowboykillerzRGiii on Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#21 forever in our hearts
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Re: Week 1 starting QB- lets GO!!

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:31 pm

Haskins starts Week 1. There's no good reason to start anyone else.
“He was at that time the smartest player in the league. We did everything we could to try to eliminate him from the play. We knew if we didn’t neutralize him, then we had less of a chance of winning.” - John Hannah on Chris Hanburger

piggie

Postby Sonny9TD » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:41 pm

Burgundy&GoldForever wrote:Haskins starts Week 1. There's no good reason to start anyone else.

Other than completely ruining Haskins confidence as the NFL takes him to school. He won't be throwing to wide open receivers in single coverage in the NFL .He needs to watch and learn but i expected most would think he is just too good not to fail oblivious to the total change of scenery he will face.

Please don't say he might as well start since he will eventually start anyway so he can get experience. If that is the retort i can only shake my head
Last edited by Sonny9TD on Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hog

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:46 pm

Sonny9TD wrote:
Burgundy&GoldForever wrote:Haskins starts Week 1. There's no good reason to start anyone else.

Other than completely ruining Haskins confidence as the NFL takes him to school. He won't be throwing to wide open receivers in single coverage in the NFL.He needs to watch and learn but i expected most would think he is just too good not to fail

Haskins can make all the NFL throws including some throws most NFL quarterbacks can't make. He just obliterated a bunch of college records in one season. Confidence won't be an issue. Whether or not his receivers can keep up with him will be one. If he struggles the problem will be the receivers, not Haskins. You heard it here first.
“He was at that time the smartest player in the league. We did everything we could to try to eliminate him from the play. We knew if we didn’t neutralize him, then we had less of a chance of winning.” - John Hannah on Chris Hanburger

piggie

Postby Sonny9TD » Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:49 pm

Burgundy&GoldForever wrote:
Sonny9TD wrote:

Other than completely ruining Haskins confidence as the NFL takes him to school. He won't be throwing to wide open receivers in single coverage in the NFL.He needs to watch and learn but i expected most would think he is just too good not to fail

Haskins can make all the NFL throws including some throws most NFL quarterbacks can't make. He just obliterated a bunch of college records in one season. Confidence won't be an issue. Whether or not his receivers can keep up with him will be one. If he struggles the problem will be the receivers, not Haskins. You heard it here first.

You are in love. Break out the champagne. Congratulations. I'm so very happy for you. Most NFL quarterbacks can't make. LOL

I think i said he had a strong arm. This is just too much fun

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:14 pm

There are basically 2 schools of thought here:

1. Trott him out there and let him learn in the fire

2. Coddle him so he doesn't get gun shy

I think there are pros and cons to each... Many rookies have done well, many have crashed and burned. Personally I'd like to start the growing process asap, cuz nothing will prepare him for game day more then game day. He wont get hit in practice- live rounds is how you get better. Now this can break some players. Especially since we have a solid D, I think we can afford some mistakes now and grow him right away.

His IQ is high and that will help, as will his arm. Every pass last year wasnt to a wide open reciever- thats silly... He will make plays for us no doubt.

If Dak can do it...?!?! Hell, he will be fine
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

piggie

Postby Sonny9TD » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:25 pm

cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:There are basically 2 schools of thought here:

1. Trott him out there and let him learn in the fire

2. Coddle him so he doesn't get gun shy

I think there are pros and cons to each... Many rookies have done well, many have crashed and burned. Personally I'd like to start the growing process asap, cuz nothing will prepare him for game day more then game day. He wont get hit in practice- live rounds is how you get better. Now this can break some players. Especially since we have a solid D, I think we can afford some mistakes now and grow him right away.

His IQ is high and that will help, as will his arm. Every pass last year wasnt to a wide open reciever- thats silly... He will make plays for us no doubt.
[color=#804040]
[color=#FF0000]In tracking Haskins’ throws, it is apparent how well Ohio State’s offensive schemes worked to get a receiver open. There were a lot of pick plays and clever routes that allowed Haskins to hit a wide-open target.
[/color]
If Dak can do it...?!?! Hell, he will be fine
[/color]

3 schools of thought. Number 3. He aint ready

I'm not the one who said he had trouble throwing receivers open in single coverage which was one of the knocks. Yea they were mostly wide open. Most of them were. More open than they will ever be in the NFL Anyone can throw some tight passes on occasion.

Read this article for starters before we say he make throws most others can't. He really does have a ways to go.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/oh ... ough-edges

Some more:

Point being he needs to wait until he is ready

Lacks in-game adversity challenges for an early round pick

Front side can fly open causing throws to sail

Unusual follow through leaving his lower half behind

Still learning to attack zone coverage

Baited into bad decisions on high-low reads

Doesn’t show enough caution against dropping linebackers

Will need to improve anticipatory intermediate throws

Has to be willing to come off primary reads when coverage dictates it

Needs to expedite his process in the face of pressure

Needs better feel for when to throw with touch

Accuracy on the move is below average

Below-average athlete who can’t run away from trouble

Sluggish, heavy feet when he scrambles

Fumbles due to carelessness and lack of concentration on snaps
Last edited by Sonny9TD on Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

piggie

Postby Sonny9TD » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:47 pm

Likes locking onto his first read; stares them down through the play. Not prepared for NFL game speed at the moment. Decision-making process was often delegated elsewhere. Limited improvisational potential. Night and day performances to finish out the season.

Deep ball strays from the mark and forces his receiver to extend to the end of their catch radius. Baffling moments of misplacement on some of his nine balls. Can’t alter trajectories or arc the ball without overshooting his target. Lack of control is disconcerting; too much deviation plagues his game.

The amount of time it took Haskins to pull the trigger on his throws, though, was a little slower than some of the other quarterbacks I’ve analyzed.

Haskins heavily relies on his front leg to transfer energy throughout his kinetic chain. This means a lower-body imbalance can have a much greater effect on Haskins’ accuracy than a QB who doesn’t put as much pressure on their lead leg. If Haskins is unable to plant his front foot where he wants, his arm has to compensate for the varying amounts of energy, which can lead to wild throws.

OK I'm done. Let him sit a while

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:18 pm

That article, while maybe had some good points... Was written in Oct 2018. The season wasnt even over, and Haskins finished very well. A lot of the concerns seem cery teachable imo

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:22 pm

Love to see the new age in depth break down of Keenums mechanics and game decisions. People werent talking about the kinetic chain even a few years ago.

I really dont care who starts. If coaches feel he gives us the best chance to win, then game on. If we can groom him for better success behind Keenum, then game on!

piggie

Postby Sonny9TD » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:47 pm

[quote="cowboykillerzRGiii"]That article, while maybe had some good points.

Maybe?

It's hard to let go when emotions are involved. Usually is. I guess it is better than denying it
Last edited by Sonny9TD on Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:47 pm

"Washington Redskins
Haskins may start because Dan Snyder demands it. Look, Alex Smith isn’t an option and Haskins may already be better than Case Keenum and Colt McCoy. The only way Haskins is going to learn is by taking snaps, and it won’t make much sense to have him sit behind quarterbacks he is better than. The only thing that could block Haskins is Keenum’s contract. That shouldn’t be the deal breaker.

Predicition: Haskins Starts Week 1

Confidence: 75 percent"

Kind of my point

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:50 pm

Sonny9TD wrote:
cowboykillerzRGiii wrote:That article, while maybe had some good points.

Maybe?

It's hard to let go when emotions are involved. Usually is.

Look in the mirror boss! Why get sad that i discredited an old analysis that was done a few games into Haskins NCAA career (as a starter)? He hadnt done most of the great things he did last season yet seems silly to reference it imho.

Feelings? You are hell bent on proving Haskins is what ever... Im excited for the prospect. No big deal

Hog

Postby ferryrich » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:54 pm

I'm just here to vote

piggie

Postby Sonny9TD » Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:02 pm

[quote="cowboykillerzRGiii"][quote="Sonny9TD"][quote="cowboykillerzRGiii"]That article, while maybe had some good points.

Hell bent on whatever? You know exactly why i'm not down with it. Facts not feelings.

Better than Keenum??? You mean stronger arm. Cause right now that is all he has on Keenum and to say otherwise it is just wishful thinking. Maybe true but no way apparent. Keenum has a playoff victory. Haskins hasn't played against the competition Keenum has. If Smith were playing he would definitely get the nod because of his decision making not the arm strength which is why Haskins was drafted let's be real here and the offense Urban designed for him with all that receiver talent and 1st class Offensive line. Can he be good? Yes in time.

The reason QBs in his position 1st rounder with little experience.don't start is the mental side of the game. Not the stronger arm being the deciding factor.
Last edited by Sonny9TD on Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football