The Trent Thread

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
Hog

The Trent Thread

Postby riggofan » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:37 pm

Seems like we were posting about this still in the NFL draft thread so might as well break it out here since the story seems to be getting... weirder...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... situation/
Williams told teammates he wants to be traded or released because he’s upset with how the team handled his recent medical situation, Jason La Canfora of CBS reports.

A couple months ago, news broke that Williams had a benign tumor or growth removed from his head. Not a lot has been reported about exactly what happened, but Williams is apparently not satisfied that he got adequate medical care from the team. Williams has also had knee, thumb, and rib injuries.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"You can't do epic **** with basic people." - DJax
"We're on the rise, man, whether you're on the train or not." - Josh Norman

Hog

Re: The Trent Thread

Postby riggofan » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:39 pm

Good grief...

Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora

June 5, 2019 at 12:00 AM

Trent Williams issues with Skins are not financial at all according to numerous sources with knowledge of the situation. He's told teammates he has demanded a trade or his release from the club due to their handling of his recent medical situation. Has vowed not to play for them

Ben Standig @BenStandig

Mentioning I heard something similar about 71 to the JLC report isn't me reporting as fact. I would have reported if I had the needed sources. Just noting his report, which sounds wild, is something I have indeed heard, if that makes sense. Might not.

Back to minicamp...

Grant Paulsen @granthpaulsen

Huge development. I havent heard that he vowed not to play for the Redskins. I can confirm Trent Williams has been voicing his displeasure about how he's been handled to people close to him for a while now.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Diesel

Postby DEHog » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:11 pm

Yea, first it's about money, now medical staff...sounds like PR stunt...Trent is being fed by his agent. Saying it's the medical staff is very opportunistic considering all the scrutiny the staff has been under...much more palatable for the fans if he complains about the medical staff than $$$$!!
"Sean Taylor is hands down the best athlete I've ever coached it's not even close" Gregg Williams 2005 Mini-Camp

Hog

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:40 pm

*sh$t*. It sounds like he just wants to skip training camp. Or like LaCanfora, who the Redskins hate and would never give inside information is making it up. And, of course, other writers take it and run without any vetting. But if he really wants to be traded then *f$ck* it. Trade him. Good riddance. It's impossible to build a better culture when you allow players to whine like *f$ck* school children and get their way. If you want to send a message that it's the Redskins way or the highway you may as well start now.
“He was at that time the smartest player in the league. We did everything we could to try to eliminate him from the play. We knew if we didn’t neutralize him, then we had less of a chance of winning.” - John Hannah on Chris Hanburger

08 Champ

Postby SkinsJock » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:03 pm

such a classy organization ...

"We have been talking to Trent a little bit here and there," Gruden said Tuesday. "He is not here [at practice], you are right. As far as holding out for whatever reasons, that is between Trent and Eric [Schaffer] and Bruce [Allen]. Hopefully, we'll get it all situated soon and get him back here."

I'm sure they'll work it out
Until recently, Snyder & Allen have made a lot of really bad decisions - nobody with any sense believes this franchise will get better under their guidance
Snyder's W/L record = 45% (80-96) - Snyder/Allen = 41% (59-84-1)

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:09 pm

I dont like this.
Last year he pleaded qith AP to join the Skins becuase he loved it so much... Now he is pointing fingures at the medical staff for a precedure in the off season? A growth removed from his scalp?

He signed a deal not to long ago.. A big one. And hasnt played all 16- since?
He is a great tackle... We drafted then paid. He is tryn to pull some AB/ Bell *sh$t* if thats his way to get more money then see ya Trent!
#21 forever in our hearts
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:15 pm

Its hard to know what to think. Seems like two sides leaking competing stories to get out in front of whatever the actual situation is:

Redskins: TW wants a new contract
TW: unhappy with medical situation wants out

Impossible to know for sure what the deal is. On one hand I can totally see and believe why a player like Trent might be holding out for a new contract. On the other hand, our front office has ZERO credibility. Do you really believe anything they say at this point?

Hog

Postby riggofan » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:18 pm

Morgan Moses piping up:

Players typically stick up for fellow players in disputes with teams and Morgan Moses is no exception when it comes to teammate Trent Williams.

According to John Keim of ESPN.com, Moses expressed support for Williams, who is absent from Washington’s mandatory minicamp due to anger at the franchise over medical treatment. Williams had a tumor/growth on his head that was removed earlier this offseason.

“It’s about time someone like that stands up,” Moses said. “It’s not just a situation here; it happens throughout the league. To have one of our peers like Trent to stand up like that means a lot. His scare is one you never want to have, but you’ve got to take care of yourself.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... stands-up/

Hog

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:25 pm

riggofan wrote:Morgan Moses piping up:

Players typically stick up for fellow players in disputes with teams and Morgan Moses is no exception when it comes to teammate Trent Williams.

According to John Keim of ESPN.com, Moses expressed support for Williams, who is absent from Washington’s mandatory minicamp due to anger at the franchise over medical treatment. Williams had a tumor/growth on his head that was removed earlier this offseason.

“It’s about time someone like that stands up,” Moses said. “It’s not just a situation here; it happens throughout the league. To have one of our peers like Trent to stand up like that means a lot. His scare is one you never want to have, but you’ve got to take care of yourself.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... stands-up/

Give me a *f$ck* break. It's a non-football injury. Go to any damn doctor you want, Trent, and quit bitching like a school girl.
“He was at that time the smartest player in the league. We did everything we could to try to eliminate him from the play. We knew if we didn’t neutralize him, then we had less of a chance of winning.” - John Hannah on Chris Hanburger

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:34 pm

Is he mad that HE AGREED to get it cut off??? Like wtf is the gripe about?
“I wanted to just… put his lights out ….because, you know, …Dallas sucks…” - Dexter Manley

CKRGiii

Postby cowboykillerzRGiii » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:47 pm

So, there has been clamour to cut Norman- and not just here but plenty of stories to pick from.. And suggested that we maybe pay Trent instead... Lets look at that.

Norman- getting the 2nd most of all cbs- of course Peterson was likely to eclipse that mark before he got suspended.

Trent- highest paid at the time he signed... Now 5th highest paid? Could be wrong.

While Trent is a HOG, is he deserving of the highest salary?

Both are huge parts of this team. Leaders and great at what they do. Can Definetly be said Norman hasnt earned his... And I see that argument.. BUT he also isn't targeted as much, like all great cbs. He also creates turnovers, be it ints (drops waaaay to many) or fumbles. He creates more then any other defensive player on our team.

But lets break it down by games played... Trent would be the highest paid lineman by far- since he hasnt had a full 16 games since... When?
Sure, Norman has missed a few.. But not nearly as many as Trent. Why would we cut someone we need so much to pay someone who isnt as durable?

Depth behind Norman lools better then at Tackle, but does that mean we handicap the D to overpay an (already highly paid) aging Tackle who gets injured so much??

We have sooome cap, can restructure Sherrf to a long term deal and cut people like Colt or Smith.. 4 qbs seems crazy to carry. Im not a fan of cutting Norman to pay more for Trent.
*with 2 years left on his deal... Can Trent even do this *sh$t*?? Its not like he is the 25th highest paid T and hasnt missed a game .. If he continues to hold out we just dock pay right? At what point is HE in breech of contract? If we cant get something for him I dont want there to be dead money folloqing him out the door-

Hope this gets squashed soon... Seems pretty damn petty

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:33 am

Burgundy&GoldForever wrote:Give me a *f$ck* break. It's a non-football injury. Go to any damn doctor you want, Trent, and quit bitching like a school girl.

I don't know, man. That just seems like a harsh statement without knowing the details exactly. What if the Redskins doctors mislead or misinformed him on that issue? I have no idea, just saying.

Hog

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:08 am

riggofan wrote:I don't know, man. That just seems like a harsh statement without knowing the details exactly. What if the Redskins doctors mislead or misinformed him on that issue? I have no idea, just saying.

I just find it impossible to believe the Redskins required or insisted that Trent see a team doctor for that particular ailment. The man makes over $10MM a year. He can easily go get a second opinion, and a third. It's nothing like the Alex Smith football-related and fully guaranteed contract injury where the team should have a say because it's their insurance paying. If Trent is unhappy it's got nothing to do with that injury.

Hog

Postby riggofan » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:53 am

Burgundy&GoldForever wrote:I just find it impossible to believe the Redskins required or insisted that Trent see a team doctor for that particular ailment. The man makes over $10MM a year. He can easily go get a second opinion, and a third. It's nothing like the Alex Smith football-related and fully guaranteed contract injury where the team should have a say because it's their insurance paying. If Trent is unhappy it's got nothing to do with that injury.

Again, I just don't know what you're basing this opinion on without knowing the facts. How about this scenario? Trent has this tumor or whatever on his head. The team docs tell him during the season that its no big issue, deal with it later, keep playing. Trent follows their advice then finds out later that its a bigger issue than they told him and waiting was not the correct thing to do.

I have no idea, but its not out of the realm of possibility, and I wouldn't put anything past NFL ownership on ANY team.

That's sort of what I took away from Moses' comment was that teams aren't always doing what's in the best health interest of the players. You've seen North Dallas Forty, right? :D

Hog

Postby Burgundy&GoldForever » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:46 am

riggofan wrote:
Burgundy&GoldForever wrote:I just find it impossible to believe the Redskins required or insisted that Trent see a team doctor for that particular ailment. The man makes over $10MM a year. He can easily go get a second opinion, and a third. It's nothing like the Alex Smith football-related and fully guaranteed contract injury where the team should have a say because it's their insurance paying. If Trent is unhappy it's got nothing to do with that injury.

Again, I just don't know what you're basing this opinion on without knowing the facts. How about this scenario? Trent has this tumor or whatever on his head. The team docs tell him during the season that its no big issue, deal with it later, keep playing. Trent follows their advice then finds out later that its a bigger issue than they told him and waiting was not the correct thing to do.

I have no idea, but its not out of the realm of possibility, and I wouldn't put anything past NFL ownership on ANY team.

That's sort of what I took away from Moses' comment was that teams aren't always doing what's in the best health interest of the players. You've seen North Dallas Forty, right? :D

Teams aren't even allowed to treat non-footbsll injuries. It's a violation of their insurance. That's why I think this isn't about Trent's medical issue. I think it's about his wanting more money.

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football