Question about a job in football

Intimidated by intense football threads? Don't be... learn about football, the Washington Redskins and more.
piggie

Question about a job in football

Postby verm04 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:15 am

I dont know if this is the right forum for this but.. i am 5'8 anbout to graduate high school and I realize that if I am going to be happy in life i need to have some career affiliated with football. I have loved it all my life and due to the fact i do not have the body to make it in future leagues that my best bet is in some other aspect of football. Fortunately i have been gifted with a very strong brain... any suggestions on what i should do as far as trying to keep going with this dream?

by the way im sorry if this is in the wrong forum i wasnt sure where to stick this thing.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:02 am

Personally, I would think that going into a sports related major and trying to get on to the college football team as an intern/coaching assistant would be a smart idea. Pick the college in which the coaching reflects your style, and then listen and learn. Make sure you are everywhere the coach is, and if you really respect him, don't just pick up on his plays, but on the aspects of how he handles players and situations.

Just my opinion though... if I had it to do over again - that's how I would try it.
Rich in Roanoke

FanFromAnnapolis

Postby Irn-Bru » Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:35 am

Depending on what your interests are, you could get into a huge range of job opportunities that aren't necessarily "on the field." For a while I had my mind set on studying Communication/Public Relations in college and then trying to work my way onto an NFL franchise doing that kind of thing. I don't know too much about other specific careers since this was my focus, but I do know that there are a pretty good deal of them. John Madden wrote about some of them in his books (mostly about how he used to have invite the team's PR guys/business execs to a party wherever he was doing a game that week).

And now, for some reason, I find myself studying Philosophy at University instead. Talk about no job. . . . .

But if you want a job with an NFL team, you might want to consider pursuing jobs that are related to it (like PR) but not on the field. You might not get to coach, but then again, would entertaining clients in luxury boxes really be all that bad? (someone's gotta do it)
"Last year I thought we'd win it all. This year I know we will." - Rex Ryan, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Jets

"Dream team." - Vince Young, on what would become the 8-8 2011 Eagles

Mmmm...donuts
Location: How much text will they let me fit in this 'Location' space? I mean, can I just keep writing and wr

Postby joebagadonuts » Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:43 pm

if you have the spare time, you might want to consider colunteering some coaching time to a pop warner/pee wee league. you get coaching experience with no risk, and they're usually happy to have you. my pop warner coach is now coaching a college team in new england.
I'm a jack of all trades, the master of three
Rockin' the tables, rockin' the mikes, rockin' the young lay-dees.

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:29 pm

you're also gonna want to pick up a copy of "Coaching fo Dummies" at your nearest Barnes and Noble :)

Seriously, I am a Sophomore (soon to be Junior!) in college and I'm starting to think a career coaching football would be fun. I mean, baseball is my first love, but for some reason coaching football looks more satisfying.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:39 pm

there is definitely more adrenaline in football ::grin::
Rich in Roanoke

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:43 pm

I just think being a recruiter would be so much fun...

Just talking to John P Quarterback's mom and dad, telling them what a great school Podunk University is, then taking the kid to a recruiting party and getting him a hooker so he'll sign the letter of intent...

:)

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:58 pm

oh yeah - I can see it now

"No sir, honestly, the line play will be better at Tulane this year... your son won't be hit near as many times... hello? hello?"
Rich in Roanoke

and Jackson

Postby JansenFan » Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:15 am

I talk from time to time to Bram Weinstein, who is a redskins beat reporter for a local radio station. He spends almost all his time at Redskins Park year round. I asked him about how he got into his job, and he replied with the following:

Bram Weinstein wrote:I always wanted to do sports journalism.. Some schools have some courses regarding sports and media, but it's not a major obviously.Essentially, I majored in broadcast Journalism then worked toward angling my career in sports..
Hope that helps..
Bram
RIP 21

"Nah, I trust the laws of nature to stay constant. I don't pray that the sun will rise tomorrow, and I don't need to pray that someone will beat the Cowboys in the playoffs." - Irn-Bru

~~

It could be a collector's item

Postby REDEEMEDSKIN » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:20 pm

Skinsfan55 wrote:you're also gonna want to pick up a copy of "Coaching fo Dummies" at your nearest Barnes and Noble :)

Yeah, and if you go down to a golf course in Gainesville you MIGHT just be able to get an autographed copy from the OBC. ROTFALMAO
Back and better than ever!

+++++++++

Re: It could be a collector's item

Postby Skinsfan55 » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:31 pm

RED(EEMED)SKIN wrote:
Skinsfan55 wrote:you're also gonna want to pick up a copy of "Coaching fo Dummies" at your nearest Barnes and Noble :)

Yeah, and if you go down to a golf course in Gainesville you MIGHT just be able to get an autographed copy from the OBC. ROTFALMAO

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to Football 101