Hello from Atlanta

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?

Hello from Atlanta

Postby falconidae » Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:43 am

Hey Fanno9
I took you up on your invite. I figured it didn't take a lot of guts to post positive things about the Falcons on the Falcon's website.

I want to discuss the game, I won't insult anyone and I wont respond if someone insults me.

I will be back Monday, win or lose

For the game itself:
I glad we're playing you guys early- I just don't think your O has gelled yet, and the D will wear down cause it spends too much time on the field. I do think the Skins will be much tougher the second half of the year.

2002 Nov 28 at Dallas Loss 20-27 - You guys LOST at Dallas last year, The Birds BEAT Dallas at Dallas.
The Skins were 2-6 on the road last year, they've lost 4 straight on the road- I don't see this team's road woes addressed much here. I think its a key factor for a Falcons win.

Last week both the Falcons and the Redskins played really poor teams- I doubt either the Cowboys or the Jets will win more than 5-6 games.
BUT, The Falcons, on the road, took over in the second half, and with the game on the line in the fourth quarter, marched down for a clinching TD, while the Redskins, at home, barely beat a team with a wooden indian for QB.

Birds will win because:

Wade's D will confuse Ramsey with multiple blitz's formations, coverages. The crowd noise will rattle him- he's good ,but he's young. After a couple of ints, Spurrious will shut the O down. (I think this will be different later in the year- Ramsey will be much better with a full year as QB, this game is going to be part of his learning process)

The Redskins couldn't get pressure on Testeverde, DJ will pick them apart, I don't care how good a secondary is, with no pass rush, somebody gets open

The Falcons will be able to run on that front four, then play action by DJ will result in big plays down the field.

Special teams- I guarentee that on most possessions, the Falcons will have much better field position . It makes a difference.

Falcons 35 Skins 13 (I Know that's a big spread- but I AM a Falcon's fan, and I'm expecting a couple of quick scores when Ramsey gets rattled)

Looking forward to the game, and I will be back on Monday.

Hog

Postby doeslammer » Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:17 am

This is a quote out of www.redskins.com
"In Sunday’s game at Atlanta, there would seem to be opportunities for the Redskins to get the big-play passing game untracked more consistently. Starting safeties Cory Hall and Keion Carpenter could sit out the game with injuries.

Meantime, Atlanta’s run defense ranked 23rd last year and gave up 149 rushing yards in their Week 1 victory over the Dallas Cowboys. So there should be chances for Canidate and Betts to establish a strong rushing attack on the Georgia Dome’s fast surface. That in turn could open play-action possibilities and lead to the long passes downfield."

This is why the Redskins will win, as far as last year is concerned, as you stated earlier, a lot of things happend and I mean alot, plus last year doesn't mean anything to SOS. Are O-Line played fairly desent against 2 pro bowlers from the Jets, your run defense is horrid, the Falcons couldn't even stop Dallas, gave up 150 yards rushing, we have 2 backs that are alot better than hambrick, we atleast have a quaterback that will play in this league next year, Quincy Carter is the worst QB Dallas has ever had and he still made a few connections against your DB, Ramsey and Coles will combine for over 150 yards and a touch, I don't know where that score come up, you think a Falcons team that just barely beat Dallas, is going to put up 35 points against a team that gave up only 158 total yards, don't see it, here is a better and more realistic score
Redskins 21
Atlanta 13
Good Luck and thanks for dropping by, hope Vick heals very quickly for you guys, and you have a good rest of the year.
Please NO INJURYS this week.

Hog

Postby skinsfanno9 » Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:36 am

Falcons have to get pressure on Ramsey to have a chance, IMHO, but if the skins running game works like last week, it should be a great day to be a skins fan. You guys are beat up in the secondary, so I'm thinking openings will come early and often. All we need is Ramsey to stay cool and hit the opened guys.

Postby falconidae » Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:43 am

your run defense is horrid, the Falcons couldn't even stop Dallas, gave up 150 yards rushing

Sorry, its not- almost half of that yardage came on one play with a busted coverage- the rest of the game, the Falcons shut down the run.
Same with pass defense- almost half of the yardage came on two plays where a rookie cb got beat- count on Wade to fix that

Falcons team that just barely beat Dallas,

Hello, Falccons won by 2 TDs- the Skins barely baet a horrid jets team by 3

against a team that gave up only 158 total yards

Come on, the jets had no passing game, you could put 8 in the box to stop the run. The Jets O was horrible- the Falcons have a much more balanced attack and will score some points.

And my thinking on the score is that the Birds score a couple of Defensive TDs- which means your defense isn't involved.

I'm with you- no injuries. The only thing that worries me is the secondary is beat up- I think the front 7 will put enough pressure on them to compensate, but we'll see.

It really hard to judge these two teams after their week 1 games- they both played bad teams
This week will be better measure for both

Good luck after this week

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:44 am

I just don't think your O has gelled yet, and the D will wear down cause it spends too much time on the field

I guess this isn't based on anything but your personal opinion right? Last week's time of possession was 34:46 Redskins and 25:14 Jets. I think any defense in the league would be happy to have a 10 minute advantage in T.O.P.

2002 Nov 28 at Dallas Loss 20-27 - You guys LOST at Dallas last year, The Birds BEAT Dallas at Dallas

Yep, we lost 9 in a row (?) to Dallas but finally got the monkey off of our back last game of the season in 2003. Until you join the NFC East, I don't see how you can compare even the same team as a DIVISION RIVALRY.

A lot of your logic is based on last year, and I think that with free agency and salary caps... what you did last year means absolutely diddley-squat to how you did this year.

Wade's D will confuse Ramsey with multiple blitz's formations, coverages.

Our o-line is much improved, so we will see... but that is the key to victory for the Birds, getting pressure on P-Ram. You better... not a chance in hell your secondary can cope with this WR corps in it's depleted condition. You would have been relying on the safeties ALL DAY long with the mismatch and now it's going to be backup safeties lending a hand. Your pressure has about 3 seconds to unfold or you're going to see a 40 yard pass to Coles on a skinny post.

The crowd noise will rattle him- he's good ,but he's young.

There's a 'little bit of crowd noise' in the biggest stadium in the NFL -- Fed Ex. He knows what crowds look like. You better hope this kid gets rattled by pass rush... cause crowd noise ain't gonna phase him one bit. He's a cool Kat.

The Redskins couldn't get pressure on Testeverde, DJ will pick them apart, I don't care how good a secondary is, with no pass rush, somebody gets open

They allowed 158 total yards guy! They didn't have pass rush because that wasn't the game plan. We'd like to see more too, but when you're not blitzing (at all) and just reacting with the defense, sometimes not a lot of pass rush results... like last week. our pass rush is undoubtedly suspect, but what difference does it make when the opposition can't even drive two lengths of the football field? Why all this confidence in DJ? I watched him last week... very average. The reason that good coverage on the WR's will help is because while Champ's blanketing a receiver, and DJ is running around looking for someone to throw to (it'll be Crumpler a lot), Lavar will be lurking... better hope he don't find DJ at all! Kurt Kittner? Didn't he work at Best Buy?

The Falcons will be able to run on that front four, then play action by DJ will result in big plays down the field.

Curtis Martin couldn't, and he's a lot better than Dunn and Duckett. T.J. has great potential, but he ain't there yet. And I've been to your board... i know half your fans aren't that sold on Dunn either. I guess you'll slag CM for being old, but with 7 consecutive 1000 yard seasons, it's pretty established that he's a solid NFL RB.

Special teams- I guarentee that on most possessions, the Falcons will have much better field position . It makes a difference

No argument from me there... except to only say that, it can make a difference. How the offense moves the ball is always going to be more of a difference maker.

Really great to have you drop by with a solid football post and not just some flack... thanks for stopping in. Of course we don't agree... we're fans of opposite teams. But I wish you the best of luck after this game and I hope Vick returns ASAP.

You'll be behind early, the crowd will be out of it, and you won't be able to catch up playing a one-dimensional offense.

IMO

Redskins 24
Falcons 10

HTTR
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Postby falconidae » Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:29 am

First off- great to talk football, though as I told Fanno9 on the Falcon board, we're going to have to agree to disagree.

I will admit that a more realistic prediction is 24-13 Falcons, but I posted 35-13 on the Falcon board and thought it would be bovine excrement to change it for this board.
I just don't think your O has gelled yet, and the D will wear down cause it spends too much time on the field

I guess this isn't based on anything but your personal opinion right? Last week's time of possession was 34:46 Redskins and 25:14 Jets. I think any defense in the league would be happy to have a 10 minute advantage in T.O.P.

No, it came from these observations:
TOP came from a horrid jets O that couldn't stay on the field. Ramsey made several mistakes out there ,there were missed blocking assignments that a quicker Dline-like Atlanta's- could have put much more pressure on Ramsey,
And I thuoght that if the Skins O was really clicking they would have scored 2 more TDs

what you did last year means absolutely diddley-squat to how you did this year.

What else have I got to go on? And you guys STILL lost to Dallas IN Dallas.

Wade's D will confuse Ramsey with multiple blitz's formations, coverages.

Our o-line is much improved, so we will see... but that is the key to victory for the Birds, getting pressure on P-Ram. You better... not a chance in hell your secondary can cope with this WR corps in it's depleted condition

You're right, and I think the D brings enough w/ the fron 7 to hide the secondary

'little bit of crowd noise' in the biggest stadium in the NFL -- Fed Ex. He knows what crowds look like

come on- are they raising Hell when he calls a play?
I agree Ramsey's a stud in the making, but he's going to make some mistakes

They allowed 158 total yards guy

Against a one dimensional O- Vinny couldn't throw it in the ocean from a pier. Atlanta's more balanced they'll move the ball and score some points

I guess you'll slag CM for being old

I will, so will most of the experts watching the game

We'll know alot more about our repsective teams after today. By the way-I enjoy your post even when I disagree with them

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:43 am

I'd love to retort, but I'm going out to watch the game. like you said, have to agree to disagree.

I wish you'd stopped by earlier in the week, i'm sure we could have had numerous good discussions without flaming each other.

Consider a virtual round riding on the game. Redskins win... you owe me one... Birds win... it's on me.

I'll take a rye and ginger please. :-)

redskinsmiley redskinsmiley redskinsmiley redskinsmiley

HTTR
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

Postby falconidae » Sun Sep 14, 2003 4:08 pm

Damn- great game guys- I was wrong about Ramsey-To be able to take that pounding and still take advantage of the Falcon's secondary was impressive.

Have to admit I was gloating to myself midway through the second quarter- everything I had predicted had come true, then...

Ramsey won the game, I was wrong- he's a stud now, the Skins are a much better team than I thought,

hope we get a rematch in the playoffs

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football