Chemical Weapon found in Iraq

Wanna talk about politics, your favorite hockey team... vegetarian recipes?
+++

Chemical Weapon found in Iraq

Postby NikiH » Mon May 17, 2004 1:05 pm

They have found a shell containing Sarin in Iraq. It was apparently something that the insurgents were trying to use but it malfunctioned. I think this is just the tip of the iceberg and I'm praying for our military over there.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Mon May 17, 2004 4:09 pm

I believe that with our dithering for months that a majority of the weapons were moved and or hidden well underground and that it could be much longer before we find evidence of it.

Sarin was what was used on the Kurds - and to devastating effect. Wiped out entire villages. Ugly stuff - you don't die nicely.

I just believe that a majority of it is in Syria now, which scares me almost as bad, since the terrorists are so out in the open over there that they have office fronts... you can tell a taxi driver "Take me to the Hizbollah office" and he can.

Gives me the shudders....
Rich in Roanoke

Postby Brandon777 » Tue May 18, 2004 9:57 pm

They also found some mustard gas a couple of weeks ago.
Let us all gather around and drink the Cooley-Aid of the Redskins.

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Tue May 18, 2004 10:50 pm

Geez, they found trace ammounts of Sarin...

For all we know part of that IED could have been made from metal that once was part of a bomb that was decommisioned. That doesn't really mean a thing on its own.

It doesn't make one bit of sense for their to have been chemical weapons stored by the government of Iraq during the end of Hussien's dictatorship... the fact that these chemicals are JUST NOW showing up make it seem PAINFULLY obvious to me that they are being imported from other terrorist powers.

If these weapons were hidden underground ready to go... then why wait to use them?

There's very flimsy evidence to back that up if you ask me.

Mmmm...donuts
Location: How much text will they let me fit in this 'Location' space? I mean, can I just keep writing and wr

Postby joebagadonuts » Wed May 19, 2004 7:31 am

i'm not trying to start an argument here, but does anyone have a link to a (reputable) site where this has been reported? I'm on boston.com and washingtonpost.com almost every day, and i haven't seen anything about any chemical weapon findings. if something has been found, i'd like to know more about it. any help?
I'm a jack of all trades, the master of three
Rockin' the tables, rockin' the mikes, rockin' the young lay-dees.

~~

Postby REDEEMEDSKIN » Wed May 19, 2004 7:37 am

I believe I saw this story on CNN.com. It was reported by the AP, if I'm not mistaken.

It certainly didn't get the amount of coverage the prisoner abuse scandal got. After all, why
would the liberal media report on ANYTHING that might give "Bush's war" an ounce of credibility? ](*,)

THIS JUST IN:
Darkness overcame the country last night between 8:45 PM and 5:45 AM this morning.....

It, too, was probably the Bush administration's fault. John Kerry is scheduled to bash the Presiden over this matter later in the day. :cry:
VIVA SEXY!!!

aka Evil Hog

Postby hailskins666 » Wed May 19, 2004 7:46 am

on a lighter note, any of you guys watch dave chapelle? last nite was a re run, but he had the segment called "negrodamus". and when asked how did bush know iraq had weapons of mass destruction, negrodamus replied "cause he has the receipt." ROTFALMAO ROTFALMAO classic. not that i'm a bush hater, but that was too much.
THN's resident jerk.

Glock .40 Model 22 - First* line of home defense.... 'ADT' is for liberals.

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Wed May 19, 2004 7:49 am

RED(EEMED)SKIN wrote:I believe I saw this story on CNN.com. It was reported by the AP, if I'm not mistaken.

It certainly didn't get the amount of coverage the prisoner abuse scandal got. After all, why
would the liberal media report on ANYTHING that might give "Bush's war" an ounce of credibility? ](*,)

THIS JUST IN:
Darkness overcame the country last night between 8:45 PM and 5:45 AM this morning.....

It, too, was probably the Bush administration's fault. John Kerry is scheduled to bash the Presiden over this matter later in the day. :cry:

Why did you put Bush's war in quotes? Are you quoting another post? Anyway, maybe this wasn't covered well because it's hardly an issue. For the ammount they found it may as well not have happened. Who cares if some terrorists have enough sarin to kill a goldfish?

Anyone who thinks this would give the war in Iraq some credibility (of which it is running dangerously low on) is really grasping at straws: "Look! They have a teaspoon full of sarin! This proves the existance of WMDs!!!!" humbug I say.

I will admitt that the prisoner abuse scandal got WAY too much ink, but I'd rather hear about a goofy story like that (who cares about those photos really?) than hear about soldiers dying because they can't figure out their purpose and role in this ridiculous war.

~~

Postby REDEEMEDSKIN » Wed May 19, 2004 8:17 am

Skinsfan55 wrote:
Why did you put Bush's war in quotes? Are you quoting another post?

That's the way the media presents this. According to them, he made this war up on a whim while chopping wood on his ranch in Texas.

Anyway, maybe this wasn't covered well because it's hardly an issue. For the ammount they found it may as well not have happened. Who cares if some terrorists have enough sarin to kill a goldfish?

Tell that to the guys who found the sarin. Aren't THEY glad that the squashed an ooportunity to unleash a KNOWN TOXIN????!!!

Anyone who thinks this would give the war in Iraq some credibility (of which it is running dangerously low on) is really grasping at straws: "Look! They have a teaspoon full of sarin! This proves the existance of WMDs!!!!" humbug I say.

I agree. There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY that Saddam, the picture perfect, Kurd-friendly, harmless dictator, could have hidden his WMDs or had them transported to neighboring countries. There's no evidence of this so IT CANNOT HAVE HAPPENED, right? (LOOK OUT: SARCASM SPEWING!!!)

I will admitt that the prisoner abuse scandal got WAY too much ink, but I'd rather hear about a goofy story like that (who cares about those photos really?) than hear about soldiers dying because they can't figure out their purpose and role in this ridiculous war.

Both of these stories deal a devastating blow to the operations in Iraq. It's tragic and painful to know that so many have lost there lives. I hardly believe that you can enter and exit a military operation unscathed, but the chances of casualties increases exponentially when the enemy is the author of the book of underhanded, cowardly, and inhumane attacks (i.e., ambushes, suicide bombings, car bombs, etc.) against our troops. :(

God bless our troops and grant them divine protection in the heat of battle.
VIVA SEXY!!!

Mmmm...donuts
Location: How much text will they let me fit in this 'Location' space? I mean, can I just keep writing and wr

Postby joebagadonuts » Wed May 19, 2004 8:34 am

i still can't find any story on any findings of wmd anywhere. i even looked on the rnc web site (i feel so dirty) - http://www.rnc.org/Default.aspx. i figure if it happened, the story would be there. if there is a story on this out there, i'd love some help in finding it. thanks.

Mmmm...donuts

Postby joebagadonuts » Wed May 19, 2004 8:44 am

Quote:
Anyway, maybe this wasn't covered well because it's hardly an issue. For the ammount they found it may as well not have happened. Who cares if some terrorists have enough sarin to kill a goldfish?

Tell that to the guys who found the sarin. Aren't THEY glad that the squashed an ooportunity to unleash a KNOWN TOXIN????!!!

goldfish everywhere are breathing bubbles of relief. if it truly is a tiny amount of sarin, the i'd say using the term 'unleash' is a bit overdramatic.

Quote:

I agree. There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY that Saddam, the picture perfect, Kurd-friendly, harmless dictator, could have hidden his WMDs or had them transported to neighboring countries. There's no evidence of this so IT CANNOT HAVE HAPPENED, right? (LOOK OUT: SARCASM SPEWING!!!)

actually, i would venture a guess that any movement of any kind in iraq would have been followed very closely by us satellites. not to mention that iraq would have to find a willing neighboring country in which to stash his weapons. if i were syria, and i knew the us was coming for saddam's wmd, and he asked me to hold on to them for him, i'd tell him to go blow.

i guess we'll find out soon enough who is holding on to saddam's weapons, since we'll be taking over the middle east in a few years.

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Wed May 19, 2004 8:52 am

RED(EEMED)SKIN wrote: I hardly believe that you can enter and exit a military operation unscathed, but the chances of casualties increases exponentially when the enemy is the author of the book of underhanded, cowardly, and inhumane attacks (i.e., ambushes, suicide bombings, car bombs, etc.) against our troops. :(

Um, did you really just say that? I will agree that the Islamic people fighting against America to kill anyone supporting the Red White and Blue are going against human decency, and even their own religion... but what is cowardly about their tactics?

Was it "cowardly" when the Minutemen hid behind trees and peppered lines of British soldiers with Muskets? No, it was smart. There were more of them, and they were better equiped so we needed to even the odds. suicide bombings don't make a whole lot of sense (to us anyway, I suppose I'd feel differently if the US killed all the people I loved and destroyed my business, maybe I'd feel like I had nothing to live for too) but carbombs, and ambushes are tactics that may not be fair, but this is a war... we INVADED THEIR LAND. Why do people not understand this? They hate our way of life and us "saving" them from Saddam disgusts a large majority of middle eastern people. We have no business in their affairs, and yet... here we go into the middle east to tell them who's right and who's wrong and to tell them what type of government they must live under. If the French had stayed after the revolutionary war and told us what to do about our government would we have the same nationalistic pride that we do? No, absolutely not. We had to screw up a few times before we got it right, before we drafted the constitution, a document that should, by all rights last forever.

But why should we want Iraq to enjoy the same autonomy we had? Why would we want them to flurish as a country. We're bying hypocrites about this whole thing, and the Iraqi government is going to be built like a new computer... set to be useless in 5 years...
Last edited by Skinsfan55 on Wed May 19, 2004 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

+++++++++

Postby Skinsfan55 » Wed May 19, 2004 8:59 am

joebagadonuts wrote:actually, i would venture a guess that any movement of any kind in iraq would have been followed very closely by us satellites. not to mention that iraq would have to find a willing neighboring country in which to stash his weapons. if i were syria, and i knew the us was coming for saddam's wmd, and he asked me to hold on to them for him, i'd tell him to go blow.

Totally, but I don't even think it makes sense for Saddam to have these weapons in the first place. I mean, when's the last time he gassed someone anyway? The point is that Saddam had a cushy job as a dictator and wouldn't want to do anything to upset that. So why have stockpiles of weapons around, if we had ANY evidence of such a thing we'd be on him faster than stink on a pig... well, it turns out we did it with NO evidence and now we have egg on our faces when it turns out no WMD's were there to begin with. The greatest minds in America and England are scrambling to find a reason for this war after the fact, and we can come up with nothing... was it to turn all the Iraqis gay (prison photos) so they would stop procreating and once they all died we would inherit Iraq and it's oil? Because that's the best I, or anyone else can come up with.

~~

Postby REDEEMEDSKIN » Wed May 19, 2004 9:09 am

joebagadonuts wrote:i still can't find any story on any findings of wmd anywhere. i even looked on the rnc web site (i feel so dirty) - http://www.rnc.org/Default.aspx. i figure if it happened, the story would be there. if there is a story on this out there, i'd love some help in finding it. thanks.

From CNN.com:

More testing set for shell
Meanwhile, a U.S. convoy in Iraq found an artillery shell believed to have the makings of sarin -- a deadly nerve gas used in chemical weapons, the coalition said Monday.

A senior defense official said a preliminary field test had been completed on the shell, which will undergo further testing. Field tests sometimes yield false positives.

Kimmitt said the shell contained two chemicals which, when mixed during the flight of an artillery shell, formed the nerve agent.

He said the shell had been rigged as a makeshift bomb that resulted in a small dispersal of the agent when it exploded before an ordnance team could disarm it.

U.S. intelligence officials in Washington said the shell was discovered Saturday near the Baghdad International Airport.

"The area that was affected was very minor," Kimmitt said. "There's no need for any further decontamination. The [ordnance team] people who went up there showed some minor traces of exposure, but it was so minor the doctors already have these people released."

Kimmitt said the artillery round was of an old style that Saddam Hussein's regime had declared it no longer possessed after the Persian Gulf War.

Kimmitt said it appeared that whoever set up the roadside bomb was unaware that it contained the chemicals.

"It was a weapon we believed was stocked from the ex-regime time," Kimmitt said. "It had been thought to be an ordinary artillery shell, set up like an IED [improvised explosive device]. When it exploded, it indicated that it had some sarin in it."

The general said the Iraqi Survey Group, headed by Charles Duelfer, would determine if the shell's discovery indicated Saddam possessed chemical weapons before the U.S. invasion last year. Officials in Washington said another shell -- this one containing mustard gas -- was found 10 days ago in Iraq.

No other evidence of possible chemical weapons has been found in Iraq. The Bush administration cited weapons of mass destruction as a key reason for its invasion.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/05/17/iraq.main/index.html

Hope this helps.
VIVA SEXY!!!

~~

Postby REDEEMEDSKIN » Wed May 19, 2004 9:15 am

... was it to turn all the Iraqis gay (prison photos) so they would stop procreating and once they all died we would inherit Iraq and it's oil?

Well, this tactic would fall in line with some political agendas in the US right now. Why aren't we all gay??? It's the best thing according to the media. Traditional marriage?? WHAT IS THAT!!!!????? That type of marriage is too offensive.
VIVA SEXY!!!

Return to The Lounge