Redshirt

Intimidated by intense football threads? Don't be... learn about football, the Washington Redskins and more.
piglet

Redshirt

Postby Arrington56 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:08 pm

I was wondering what it ment to "redshirt" a player in college football, and what the purpous of it is. Can anyone help me out?
RAMSEY, Portis, Coles, Samuels, Thomas, Jansen
Arrington, Barrow, Washington, Smoot, Springs, Taylor
Need I Say More?

Hog

Postby genuswine hoglover » Wed Jul 21, 2004 7:53 pm

Basically, you get four years of eligiblity. Many football players are in college for five years, declaring themselves inelible for the freshman year. The play from their second year to their "5th" year senior year. It is kinda like being on the "practice squad" their freshman year.
I am in a state of ecstasy! Never mind that nonsense about euphoria and so on. It is sheer, unadulterated, uncompromising ecstasy!

piglet

Postby Arrington56 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:03 pm

Are they allowed to practice? Or do they just watch and learn for that year? Also can only a freshman be redshirted or could you redshirt a player that has been eligble for a year? Thanks for the feedback. :o
RAMSEY, Portis, Coles, Samuels, Thomas, Jansen
Arrington, Barrow, Washington, Smoot, Springs, Taylor
Need I Say More?

Pursuer of Justice

Postby Justice Hog » Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:14 pm

Why is this in Hog Wash? I'm moving it..
Fran Farren
"Justice Hog"

Newark, DE

6th person to join the "new THN message boards"

Section 341, Row 8, Seats #15 & #16

"Justice that love gives is a surrender, justice that law gives is a punishment."
-Mohandas Gandhi

~~~~~

Postby Warmother » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:44 pm

If your a redshirt freshman you have usually been redshirted to develop physically. You can practice with the team. I think anybody can be redshirted but it does'nt happen that aften with older players unless it's a medical redshirt or maybe grades need to be brought up.
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the way I am."

~~~~~

Postby Warmother » Wed Jul 21, 2004 9:46 pm

Oh one other thing you can only be redshirted 1 time so if your redshirted your freshman year you can't be anymore unless it's for medical reasons and you have to get approval from the ncaa for that.
"I never apologize. I'm sorry but that's just the way I am."

Return to Football 101