Big O-Line Problems

Washington Redskins' Game Day discussions for 2003, 2004, and 2005
piglet

Big O-Line Problems

Postby ideagirl » Sun Oct 05, 2003 5:29 pm

While the game is still in reach, by game 5, yes, it's game 5, I would have expected much more out of the O-line. With no pass protection, Patrick is being beat up unnecessarily, rushed too often, play after play. Until the 0-line gets it's act together, we will continue to shoot ourselves in the foot. Hat's off to the D, the 2 long FG's, and the rest of the offense.

IG
Redskins Rock & Rule....purely subjective, of course, but it's in my DNA.:) ideagirl@excite.com

---

Postby Chris Luva Luva » Sun Oct 05, 2003 5:39 pm

5 false start penalties thus far.

I can't blame it all on the O-line tho, Ramsey is throwing some bad passes, guys are dropping balls. Morton just dropped a 3rd down conversion.

piglet

Postby ideagirl » Sun Oct 05, 2003 6:38 pm

Well, at the end of the day, it was the O-line that committed the lions share of the mistakes today. Ramsey did very well making completions under the gun all day, and it's par for the course that a few balls will be dropped by any team on any given day. The difference is, McNabb threw some bad balls, but his O-line doesn't jump offsides and they give him good pass protection. We would have won this game had so many drives not been killed or elongated by the O-line penalties and not enough protection for our young and talented QB.
Redskins Rock & Rule....purely subjective, of course, but it's in my DNA.:) ideagirl@excite.com

Hog

Postby skinsfanno9 » Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:26 pm

I can't WAIT for the Helton excuses this week about what a great job our line is doing. Seriously, this is insane. And also, yes, Spurrier likes to change plays at the line, but really, not this year. We don't have the apptitude for it.

Hog

Postby woohit56 » Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:13 pm

I hate to admit it but the Manning style audible frequency may have to go. It's a shame too 'cause Ramsey is improving on his coverage/blitz reads.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:54 pm

I think it is time for SOS to acknowledge the speed of not just the DB and LB in this league, but the DLmen as well. Yes, maybe you can have 5 men protect in college all the time and not get sacked like crazy, but in the pros even the backups are way faster. They were today.

It isn't Helton's line calling, it is Spurrier's play calling. Sometimes, it would be good to max protect with only 3 people going into the pattern.
Rich in Roanoke

Brown in the Hall

Postby NC43Hog » Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:57 pm

woohit56 wrote:I hate to admit it but the Manning style audible frequency may have to go.

If they are moving backward more than forward, I have to agree. Especially in these loud stadiums. Spurrier also needs to get the play in sooner.

No excuse for Samuels and Jansen tho - they are too good to be jumping so much.

:explode:
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son." - Dean Wormer

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:59 pm

Speek - they weigh 300+ pounds and are in a two point stance (which is another subject) for 10-15 seconds while Ramsey runs around like a madman. I can understand if they are on a specific snap count and he is moving around and they see it and flinch, or whatnot. Some, like seeing a blitzer coming towards you and flinching is less understandable because you should be used to that after 4 years in the league, ya know?

Some of the audibles have to go, just run the daggone play.
Rich in Roanoke

Brown in the Hall

Postby NC43Hog » Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:09 pm

skinsfaninroanoke wrote:they weigh 300+ pounds and are in a two point stance (which is another subject) for 10-15 seconds while Ramsey runs around like a madman.

Point taken, but once, twice - three times a lady - sorry I digress. Fat or not - hold your position till the ball is frigin snapped.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:14 pm

That is why I take issue with those guys being allowed to remain in that stance at all.
Rich in Roanoke

Brown in the Hall

Postby NC43Hog » Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:17 pm

Maybe they could just mill around til they figure out what the defense is doing. That might clear things up.

I do agree - seems we audible on about every other play and it is starting to :explode: me off.

sfir

Postby skinsfaninroanoke » Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:17 pm

Anyone remember the email to Spurrier's tv show?
Rich in Roanoke

Hog

Postby skinsfanno9 » Mon Oct 06, 2003 7:11 am

Spurrier had a pretty sarcastic comment to that in the aftergame press conference about this: Asked if he might play a game without any audibles, Spurrier said, "It's possible. If they rush eight guys, you can just get sacked and say, 'At least we didn't jump offsides.'

Even Marty could audible. Maybe we need to reduce the complexity of the audible options. Dunno. There has to be a way to do this that does not result in an automatic 5 yard penalty. Its like, OK, they're blitzing, lets take our 5 yard penalty instead of a sack.

Site Admin

Postby BossHog » Mon Oct 06, 2003 8:37 am

I think it is time for SOS to acknowledge the speed of not just the DB and LB in this league, but the DLmen as well. Yes, maybe you can have 5 men protect in college all the time and not get sacked like crazy, but in the pros even the backups are way faster. They were today

Amen brother. As I said in the TE thread last week, we definitely need some more blocking help. 5 men protecting, ain't protecting diddley at the moment.

It's possible. If they rush eight guys, you can just get sacked and say, 'At least we didn't jump offsides.'

... or I guess you can just false start and hold your a** off and say, 'At least we didn't allow another sack.'

I agree with the sentiment that we have to stop looking at our o-line as the source of our false starts. The audibles have to go. A lot of the reason we audible is because patrick has NO protection with everyone out on a route, so he checks off when there's a blitz to keep from getting killed. A lot of it stems from the aforementioned problem of bad protection schemes... and as Rich said... you just can't expect thee huge guys to just sit in their stance all day.
Sean Taylor was one of a kind, may he rest in peace.

swine

Postby learnnew » Mon Oct 06, 2003 5:26 pm

may be we ought to play more 3 receiver sets with all the rest of 'em blocking. but then to claim that playing 4 receivers on routes with the rest blocking will not work at all is a bit suspicious to me. i agree that there clearly has to be more protection for ramsey. may be we just have to play rob johnson for a game and lose it badly ;) the offense and the coaches will be so scared they might work their rear ends off! how abt against the bucs? ;)

i disagree about the audibles though. i think they should have more hand signals. OL have to simply accept it. SOS's offense's # 1 philosophy is to check to the best play for any given defensive play. you don't simply abandon that. but whatever it is they gotta do to stop these penalties, its not gonna be easy. its gonna take some time. if i were SOS, i would use a lot more 3 receiver sets and designate 1 TE, 1 FB and 1 RB to block on every darn passing play. you still can find ways to throw to a TE or FB or RB occasionally, if you get creative. and i would teach them hand signals for some plays that they might audible to in each game. this way they don't have to learn a whole bunch of hand signals at once. and i would yell at the players to <b>pay attention</b>. after all we seem to audible all the time. you don't have to sit still in your final stance for the last 15 seconds each play if you know you're going to audible every other darn play.
Go Skins! For 10-6 or higher!

Return to Washington Redskins Game Day - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006