A Defense in Limbo??

Talk about the Washington Redskins here. Do you bleed burgundy and gold?
piggie

A Defense in Limbo??

Postby The Skins Fan » Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:28 pm

I'm not sure "limbo" is the correct word. In fact, I'm not sure what would be the correct word. Bottom line is this: After the total collapse of what was believed to be and still is considered a top defense in the NFL, the entire defensive unit (From George Edwards all the way down the line) needs to take the step to evaluate themselves and the entire defensive unit to not just see where they stand but what they need to do to get to where they (and we) want to be. They must get down to the basics. And it's not just eliminating mental errors (lord knows everybody on the team needs to do that) Obviously the Redskins have absolutely no pass rush whatsoever-so they must figure out a way to get some kind of rush on the QB. Is a 3-4 a way. Possibly. Perhaps putting LaVar back on the line of scrimmage on passing downs (he didn't necessarily like that last year but 11 sacks and however many QB rushes and Knockdowns he had, to gotta go with what works and that helped the defense to a Nos. 5 ranking last year). Perhaps just keep Arrington in Linebacker and send he or Trotter or Armstead on a blitz. Another idea is to send some more blitzes from the secondary: either from the corner, nickel back or a safety (come to think of it, has Edwards even done that at all on pass situations this year? If so, it hasn't been many). But let's move off of the defense pass game and move onto the rush defense. Let's face it, the past couple of weeks the defense has been dismal on stopping the run. Don't get me wrong, early this year they did a great job stuffing the run but what happened last week or the week before. The run defense, in my opinion, can be summed up with one word- Consistency - No matter what, it is Gut Check Time for the Defense (and you can count the Offense in on that as well).

Hail to the Redskins...Hail Victory!!!
Hail to the Redskins...Hail Victory!!!

Return to Hog Wash - Washington Redskins Football